1999 Toyota Camry Solara - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:
I'm glad everyone else liked theirs cuz.
By disappointedowner on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I have 84k on my '99 solara. I'm on my 4th set of tires, yes, 4th (no, I'm not Mario Andretti). Had to have my fuel injectors replaced just after warranty was up (how convenient). The mirror unit fell out of the driver side sun visor and I was charged $186 for a new one. My air bag light has come on about 8 separate times, each $86 diagnostic check tells me "I don't have the gas cap on tight enough". I now have a record number of lights flashing on the dash - air bag, engine light, and 'track off', but all the diagnostic is going to tell me is that the gas cap isn't on tight enough.

Green '99 SLE
By 99SLE on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I spent the first two years explaining I wasn't driving a Lexus (SC) to friends who insisted it reminded them of one. This car excels at highway driving. I seem to take a lot of 3-5 hour interstate trips, and this is the best car I've ever driven for them. Only regret: I drive it too much.

In love!
By Yvette on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

Just purchased a 99, 18,000 mile 1 owner loaded beauty and never want to stop driving it!! This car FLOATS ON AIR! It can't get any better. It handles corners like my little sports car but is sooo smooooth and so fun to drive. Watch your speed because it is deceiving how fast your going. When I sit inside my car I feel I'm wrapped in luxury with no clutter, just elegant modern class. The Large sun,moon roof is quiet when open. The back seat comfortably fit my over 200lb 6 ft. son and husband. Unreal for this size car. I love everything about this car. Just keep making the Solara better so I can keep buying one!

Great Solara
By Don Schubeck on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

No problems in 54000 miles. I'm a former Detroiter who usually only bought U.S. vehicles. Have only replaced battery and tires. I have owned about a dozen vehicles (mostly new) and this is the best.

shoulda-been-a-Lexus
By roester on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

It's a very smooth grand touring type car. I had a Mazda MX-6 with a 2.5 L v-6 , the increase in torque of this 3L just makes every day driving more effortless. One thing for sure, the cornering limits are very low. This car needs bigger anti-sway bars, but they aren't available. I have the JBL sound system which sound great - as long as you don't brake hard or get into any broken pavement that shakes the car, then "skippy" the CD player jumps all over, it has been out of the car twice and "fixed". This is a $700 unit at the dealer and because it is CD/cassette combo, there are only a couple Butt-ugly aftermarket units to replace it.

Nice...
By nickistner on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

This is my second car (previously owned an integra) and i love it. It's not only nicer but faster than the integra i previously owned. I'm currently in the process of adding performance parts to it. I have nothing to regret about buying this car.

great car
By chatty on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I love this car! I have had 6 honda's and this is my first toyota. I like this car much better than any of the honda's I have owned. The ride quality is excellent...feels like you are floating on air. The interior design is beautiful...I love the the silky smooth leather seats. I get nothing but compiments on the car....especially after peolpe ride in it! I have the traction control which is working great in the current snow and ice conditions. I love the auto dimming rear view mirror and fully ajustable head rests (move forward and back). I never want to stop driving this car...very smooth.

Not a car for the snowbelt
By Unhappy in Ohio on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

Plain interior-where's foreign fit & finish? Speed rated tires suicide in snow. Windshield fogs. Main problem, struts! Complained many times about clunking noise. Dealer finds nothing loose. After research, I uncover known strut problem. Failing strut on an icy road cause car to swish left into a skid after hitting dip. $7,500 in sheet metal damage, luckily no one hurt. During repairs, rented 2003 Impala; felt safe & in control for 1st time since 5-99 when I bought 1st (& last!) Toyota. Hurray for Mom's apple pie & good ole American Chevrolet. (P.S. any Solara lovers want to buy totally repainted 99 SEV6? hahaha)

i love solaras
By bbstar on 01/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

Fantastic vehicle, rides great, very quiet, i love the 5 speed and 6 cylinder combination.

I love my Solara !!!
By traysea on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love my car. I've had no mechanical problems thus far and have driven it hard on business trips. The only complaint I have is that the tires are very very expensive and I wore out my first set quicker then I expected, but that's life right! I highly recommend buying this car used b/c the depreciation on it sucks. I also have a stick shift which I hear is hard to come by in the v6. One more thing.. my old colleage races his Solara against Porsces, BMW's etc and it performs good (of course not better then the fancy cars but it holds it own)