1999 Toyota Camry Solara - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:
Beyond expectations!
By Loyal SLE-V6 lady on 04/23/07 16:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

I have had a hard time deciding to pass this car to my son and buy a new one. I have a lot of highway miles and believe me that with 100% on time proper maintenance - this car can last a lifetime. No leaks, the only problem is that the paint and sealant is not thick enough. Can easily chip and there are two special body "mysteries" about a dime size that turned up after the warranty ran out. However, repairable.

167,000 miles bought at auction
By Dana on 12/07/06 15:43 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at a auction with 130,000 miles. I have driven from SC to FL and SC to VA countless times. Now with 167,000 miles still runs great no problems at all! Very roomy, and fun to drive, looks great inside/outside. Im sold on toyota! I really don't want to sell it but with a baby I really need an SUV or sedan.

Love my car!
By Michigan on 12/02/06 06:06 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my car new and do not plan on selling it for a few more years yet. I drive a lot and a comfortable drive is important to me. I get this comfortable ride in my Solara. I love to drive with the sun roof open! It is very reliable with only a few minor problems. 1. Tires need replacement every 2 yrs. 2. The air bag light keeps coming on. Plug under the front seat that keeps coming loose. The dealer would not show me the plug so I will have to look for it myself. When someone rides in the back, they will touch it with their feet and the light will come on. 3. I replaced the struts, they were expensive, but that brought that smooth ride I love so much back again.

Great Car
By N8 on 12/01/06 05:58 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I have had my SLE for almost 5 years now and I am about to roll over 200,000 miles. I have had a few minor issues with the car but overall it has been an excellent car. The CV joint boot split and ran dry and I had to replace the axle twice. The first time it was still under warranty, and the second time was around 160,000 miles. Smooth ride, good gas mileage for a V6 (27-29 mpg on highway depending on how heavy my foot is!!) and plenty of get up and go. Runs like new!! I would recommend this car to anyone who drives a lot and plans to keep the car for a long time.

Great Car!
By doran on 11/08/06 16:37 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

We bought our Solara new. We have the 4 cylinder engine with automatic transmission. We now have about 116,000 miles on it, and the only problem, the water pump had to be replaced at 69,000. What a great car, best we've owned. Uses no oil and we get from 23-26 around town and up to 34 on the highway. It's a dream to drive whether in town or highway, smooth and quiet. Still feels like a new car. Plenty of power for highway cruising and acceleration. We've considered getting a new car, but why? Wouldn't be afraid to drive this cross country tomorrow.

Great Solara
By Don S on 10/09/06 14:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

Best car (of about 15) that I've ever owned. Only problems, driver's window mechanism, transmission solenoid, and struts - all replaced after 60k miles. Haven't needed to replace orginal brakes yet with 88k miles on vehicle. (20k miles cross country driving included.)

Great car with lots of potential
By toy4x4boy on 07/23/06 18:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

Bought my 1999 SE V6 5-speed used with 53,000 miles, now have 80,000. Besides the clutch that recently wore out, have had no problems. I have lowered the car and added 18s and this thing handles awesome now and the ride is way better than the floaty stock ride. Car has great power, never feels lacking, plenty of passing power. Fuel economy is not as good as I hoped though, lucky if I can break 27 mpg on the highway, I would think 30 mpg should be achievable with a 3.0 V6. Quailty is outstanding, interior materials are top rate mostly. Seats are very comfortable. Vehicles like this make you wonder why anyone would buy a new car, great value here.

Excellent eye catching car!
By blr1620 on 06/02/06 13:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

I have owned my toyota solara sle since september of 2004. I love this car. Fun to drive. eye catcher, everyone asks to see inside of it. Lots of room in the main part of the car and lots of room in the trunk. The only maintenance issue I had was egr valve gaskets, cheap and easy fix. I drove the car from oregon to arizona straight there only stops for gas. No problems.

Donna's Solara
By Donna Knight on 04/21/06 11:41 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

Bought used, good deal, great car, nothing but regular maintenance required. Feels very safe, excellent ride, fun to drive. Love the V6 engine, good pickup on the highway.

Great Car!
By Hermosillo on 03/09/06 20:17 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

Great car, have had it for almost 7 years now, 120,000+ miles on it, not a single repair, no squeaks or rattles, still running as smooth as its first year. I have put many miles in Mexico on so so roads with no problems. Friends can't believe it rides so smooth and how good it feels and looks after 7 years and more than 100k miles. Have had all the services done at the dealer. Great for long trips, very comfortable, good mileage. I've driven the car from No Cal to Central Mexico, on rain, snow, desert, still running strong!