1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:
Still going strong
By Don S on 10/20/08 10:14 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

On Oct 2006, I raved about this car. (see comments). Just turned 100k, didn't have to change brakes (front) until 98k. Vacuum sensor for gas tank has show up as check engine light twice in last 6 mos. Have always had a slight clunk in right door - dealer never found the reason.

Sleeper Solara
By amp on 08/19/08 07:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

The Solara has become a member of my family, the older ones only trading hands because the previous owner purchased a new one. It is definitely the favorite car of my family due to its reliability and performance. I now have a red 99 Solara that started out as my grandpa's Pan-American highway vehicle. Now it is my college companion. She currently has 176K on the odometer and still lives up to the "Sleeper Solara" reputation. With 176K my Solara is not as sharp as it used to be, but that doesn't mean that the Germans are safe from her. Furthermore, I've personally seen some of the goats from Detroit faint with fear.

Great car
By matt on 08/05/08 10:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought the car used from relatives in '05, with 203,000 miles on it, and it's now running 260,000 with no problems. I had to replace brakes, rotors, and struts when I bought it (blame it on a bad mechanic that my uncle used to use) and only have replaced spark plugs ($30 from Toyota) and spark plug tube seals ($12 from Toyota). It's a great car, great ride, performance is lower because it's a 4-cyl. Great first car.

I'm trading mine in for a Volvo!
By KxVx on 07/07/08 19:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

Overall my V6 SLE has been ok, but not what I expected from a Toyota. The parts are expensive ($200 for an O2 sensor, $250 for a pair of tires, $75 for a set of spark plugs), and the 18-20 MPG that it gets is now killing me at the pump ($60 won't fill the giant tank). The A/C controls are still a hassle to use, even after two years of owning the vehicle. The doors are extremely heavy (not good if you don't lift weights), and require plenty of room to open (not good if you live in a place with tight parking!). The exterior of the car is very attractive, and unfortunately it was that and the Toyota name that sold me this car. I wish I'd done some research!

used cars are bad and what bout transmis
By alison sudduth on 05/08/08 21:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I have been highly disappointed in this vehicle; it has caused me a lot of grief. I will never buy a used vehicle again but then again I thought Toyota built a better transmission and never expected it to go out at 46,000 miles. I have had the engine light on for 8 years and part of the years I had total warranty coverage but it seems it didn't seem to matter. Had work done on it buy Toyota but they only screwed it up and I'm paying for it now

Wish new cars were this good!
By scoile on 04/26/08 04:19 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought it new back in '00, have put just under 195,000 on it. Still love it. Had five O2 sensors replaced (4 under warranty). All other service routine and repairs reasonable for age, mileage, and my driving, I'd think.

Still going
By djcowboy on 03/30/08 12:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car since new and the only thing I have had replaced has been the timing belt, water pump and tires. I have 180,000 on the odometer and have not even replaced the clutch. The strut mounts will need to be replaced because I can hear a clunking noise over speed bumps and this seems to be a common problem with the Solara. The tires also seem to be an issue because they wear out pretty quickly. I have no complaints because even after 9 years I still get compliments on the looks and even the way it drives. It also still gets great gas mileage. The original stereo was okay but an upgrade to a Sony made a world of difference, sonically speaking and the speaker are still OEM.

Great Year for Camry Solara!
By Solara Luver on 12/31/07 07:47 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this vehicle new for less than $20K. It's a four cylinder automatic with alloy wheels and a few bells and whistles. Nice looking car even after all these years. I now have 155,000 miles on the clock without ANY major repairs! My goal when buying this Solara was 200,000 miles, now I'm thinking 250,000 will be easy. I have been sold on Honda and Toyotas for about twenty years. Their reliability, fuel efficency and design simply bury the competition. If you follow the scheduled maintenance you will not be unhappy. My next car will definitely be a Solara. Maybe the convertible!

Finally I found my car.
By RnR on 12/20/07 16:31 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my 99 Solara with 97,000 miles on it in February 07, and I made my best vehicle purchase ever. This car is such a solid, well built, stylish, dream of a car that I can't believe it's almost 9 years old. Sometimes I just go places to drive it. Yes, I replaced the front struts, and then the strut plates. I put a Pioneer C.D. player (the stock one was broken) in the car. I also put a cold air intake on it to improve mpg. Big difference on trips, not so noticable in town. I also have a Tacoma, and Toyota totally rocks! I totally love my 99 Solara! Toyotas are the best value!

The best!
By Misha on 12/03/07 13:22 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE V6 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for over a year now and already put 18000 miles on it. It is definitely the best car I've ever owned. Previous owner had installed TRD suspension kit so the car is lower then normal you have a better control. In the past year I had to replace generator, thermostat, brakes, clutch, 2 wheel barrels - not a big deal.