Used 1999 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry-solara - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Camry Solara

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Reliable, fun, and hassle free
By Andy

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 Solara in April of 2003 and haven't had any major problems with it. I've seen a lot of different reviews on here and some are accurate whereas others I can't understand. The interior is pretty straight forward, don't expect some crazy/flashy foreign interior. The ride is very smooth and it has decent power, but nothing huge compared to other coupe's. I have had issues with the struts, but I'm from Michigan. We have the worst roads in the entire country! Fuel economy is average, not as good as I expected from a Toyota, but overall I've been VERY happy with my purchase. I have yet to fix a single thing on the car and I'm approaching 76,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

I found it to handle very smooth. Brakes are not the greatest, but I am a late braker and some of the fault may be my own. Good acceleration, comfortable seats (and I am a bigger guy, 6'-1", 260lbs).

Suggested Improvements

Better stock radio, I installed an Alpine CD player immediately. Improvments on the struts, they do sound very clunky and sound busted a lot of the time. The newer models have a larger engine which is nice, the car has decent power, but nothing compared to models in the same class.

Love my Solara
By Lisa CC

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

This car hs been great to drive. It's VERY quiet, smooth and reliable. I love it.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride. Power. Toyota fit, finish, reliability

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had keyless/remote entry.

Good and Reliable
By Faithful to Toyota

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I'm currently at 90,000 miles. It runs like new. Very reliable car. I've also had minor interior problems such as driverside visor mirror/light fell out. The coin tray has been replaced. Toyota Dealer replaced these and my front brakes at around 50,000 for some unpublished recall/problem with the breaks (all no charge). I just had to replace the battery for 1st time. I am on 3rd set of tires.

Favorite Features

Nice ride, very attractive on the inside (esp. new)

Suggested Improvements

Factory JBL sound system is decent but have had some problems with reception in certain areas/conditions (no antenna) Actually had radio replaced by dealer (no charge!) before understood the problem. CD DOES skip a lot. Recently, I am getting some squeaking from the seats.

Very Reliable Car
By enrik

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

I have had my '99 Solara for 5-1/2 years now and have not had a single problem with it. The only expenses have been for maintenance. My daily 40 mile commute to and from work is very comfortable and effortless in this car.

Favorite Features

-The smooth drive -Comfortable driver's seat -Full sized spare

Suggested Improvements

-Narrow opening to a large trunk.

I Love It!!
By Dot Matrix

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

I bought my Solara new over 5 years ago. I now have 68,000 miles on it and have only replaced the battery and tires. Every rider comments on how quiet and smooth the car rides, and cannot believe it is not a Lexus. Every piece of the car operates smoothly from the engine to the door handles to the moonroof to the seats. Quality permeates the minor and major details.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage; reliability; beautiful faux woodgrain in the dashboard, outlet for my phone charger in the dashboard.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic dimming of the outside rear view mirrors; remote trunk entry.