1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:
The best car for the money!
By AnthonyDunn on 07/06/10 23:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I purchased this Solara in 2002 and it had 75,000 miles on it. It now has 200,000 miles and has been Uber Reliable. I put one timing belt on it and a starter that I got off eBay for 60 bucks. This car has never failed me and is as smooth today with 200k as it was with 75k. I plan to drive it another 200k and I think it will make it just fine.

Just Rolled 200,000 on the Clock
By Road Coot on 06/21/10 09:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought my Solara new in 1999 and have had nothing but satisfaction with the vehicle. Regardless I expect to go WAY past 250,000 miles with this car. Just follow the maintenance schedule and take care of it, and it'll be the most reliable vehicle you've ever owned. Would I buy another? In a New York Minute. But this time, I will find a better dealer.

JV'S '99 Solara
By jvj on 05/05/10 21:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

This is the best car I have ever owned in over 40 years of buying them. I like some of the other reviewers are sorry that Toyota has decided to discontinue this model. I would have bought another if this one ever quits on me. I like coupes and it really fills the bill for me. The 4 cylinder has been just fine. Good on gasoline and has been very dependable.

Good deal
By Toyota Fan on 02/19/09 04:39 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought my car new and have put 132,000 miles on it. It has been a great car. This car is very reliable with very good gas mileage, ave 28-29 mpg (driving combo of 1/3 city and 2/3 freeway).

Still going strong
By Don S on 10/20/08 10:14 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

On Oct 2006, I raved about this car. (see comments). Just turned 100k, didn't have to change brakes (front) until 98k. Vacuum sensor for gas tank has show up as check engine light twice in last 6 mos. Have always had a slight clunk in right door - dealer never found the reason.

Great car
By matt on 08/05/08 10:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought the car used from relatives in '05, with 203,000 miles on it, and it's now running 260,000 with no problems. I had to replace brakes, rotors, and struts when I bought it (blame it on a bad mechanic that my uncle used to use) and only have replaced spark plugs ($30 from Toyota) and spark plug tube seals ($12 from Toyota). It's a great car, great ride, performance is lower because it's a 4-cyl. Great first car.

Wish new cars were this good!
By scoile on 04/26/08 04:19 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought it new back in '00, have put just under 195,000 on it. Still love it. Had five O2 sensors replaced (4 under warranty). All other service routine and repairs reasonable for age, mileage, and my driving, I'd think.

Still going
By djcowboy on 03/30/08 12:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I have had this car since new and the only thing I have had replaced has been the timing belt, water pump and tires. I have 180,000 on the odometer and have not even replaced the clutch. The strut mounts will need to be replaced because I can hear a clunking noise over speed bumps and this seems to be a common problem with the Solara. The tires also seem to be an issue because they wear out pretty quickly. I have no complaints because even after 9 years I still get compliments on the looks and even the way it drives. It also still gets great gas mileage. The original stereo was okay but an upgrade to a Sony made a world of difference, sonically speaking and the speaker are still OEM.

Great Year for Camry Solara!
By Solara Luver on 12/31/07 07:47 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this vehicle new for less than $20K. It's a four cylinder automatic with alloy wheels and a few bells and whistles. Nice looking car even after all these years. I now have 155,000 miles on the clock without ANY major repairs! My goal when buying this Solara was 200,000 miles, now I'm thinking 250,000 will be easy. I have been sold on Honda and Toyotas for about twenty years. Their reliability, fuel efficency and design simply bury the competition. If you follow the scheduled maintenance you will not be unhappy. My next car will definitely be a Solara. Maybe the convertible!

167,000 miles bought at auction
By Dana on 12/07/06 15:43 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at a auction with 130,000 miles. I have driven from SC to FL and SC to VA countless times. Now with 167,000 miles still runs great no problems at all! Very roomy, and fun to drive, looks great inside/outside. Im sold on toyota! I really don't want to sell it but with a baby I really need an SUV or sedan.