Used 1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Best Car Ever Built
By kwn1237

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

My Toyota Solara just hit 220,000 miles and still has the ORIGINAL alternator, motor, transmission, radiator, hoses, A/C compressor, and much much more. All the car ever needs is gas and oil to run for an infinite amount of miles. There is no rust at all and the interior still looks as if it is brand new. I recently had the car in the transmission shop because the rubber seal had cracked from age, he was absolutely astounded that most of the parts are original, especially the transmission which he claims if the oldest highest mileage one he has seen in his career. He said the car, if taken care of, will EASILY see 350,000. I will never own a better car in my life, truly on a level of its own

Favorite Features

-Flawless ride, has been compared to the ride of a Cadillac by everyone who has ever been in it. True pleasure on highway and around town -Beautiful and EXTREMELY comfortable black airated leather seats. Very sporty -Gorgeous wood and black leather finish comparable to any upscale European car -MORE then enough acceleration and horsepower, incredibly fast V6 motor, but excellent gas mileage of 30 highway and 22 city (yes, with a v6!) -Sleek and sexy lines on the outside, a timeless body style -Good handling and grip, front wheel drive good in snow, corners well -JBL premium sound system is better then any stock sound system ever installed in an automobile -Most reliable machine EVER

Suggested Improvements

I can not think of any improvements that could be made to this car. You have the best of not both worlds, but every world! The car is sexy and sporty, but at the same time classy and elegant with its luxury appeal. And yet at the same time, you have the economical standpoint of some hybrids! The V6 engine blows other cars in the dust. The sound system is perfection. Standard equipment in the base model is more than of a top of the line Honda Civic not just 1999, but most likely up to 2005! Everything is easy to use in the car, nothing complex or quirky. All you will ever have to do to this car is turn the key, put it in drive, and enjoy every second of this motoring perfection by Toyota.

this is the best first car.
By turbo25

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing it holds up extremly well, has an amazing build quality and it has so much structual rigidity. I got into a 35mph rear end collision with my car and there is only a penny sized paint scratch on the bumper. this car is so awesome!!!

Favorite Features

Everything about the car is amazing

Suggested Improvements

This car doesnt need any improvements.

Future Classic
By Bob

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

My last car got totaled by an idiot. Her insurance paid $4.5 K to buy another car.I saw this pearl color Solara SLEV6 99 with 123K miles on it. It was clean inside out and was fully loaded. Tinted glass, Climatic control, leather seats, spoiler, even 3 remote garage door openers. The seller wanted 6K but sold it for 3.9K so I spent the rest of the money on a timing belt. Now the car has 160K miles on it and over this period it has had 4 new tires, break pads battery, Starter, and is trouble free touch wood. It looks nice and modern and I have no car payments. Can't be bad.

Favorite Features

It is a BMW class car less the badge. 6 cylinders gives effortless drive without being a gas guzzler. It also delivers an almost 4 cylinder mpg. The JBL sound system must alone be worth a fortune.

Suggested Improvements

The older style looks sleeker than the recent models. Shame it has been discontinued. Only improvement I can think of is bringing it back to production. It is a beautiful ride. My kids love it.

Extremely reliable, quiet ride
By KY

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

Love this car! It drives likes a Lexus. I have owned the 1999 Solara SLE V6 since it was new. I have had few problems with it in the 11 years. Get the leather in this car! It is unbelievably comfortable. I would love to drive a Prius for the gas mileage but I'm keeping my classic as long as I can.

Favorite Features

Luxurious interior! :) Bonus: inside the Solara key is a special chip and the car will not start without it. Therefore this Solara is difficult to steal and the insurance rates are lower than expected.

Suggested Improvements

My V6 doesn't get great gas mileage (25-26 mpg combined driving) but you can't have everything.

Sex on Wheels
By toyotasolara

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car since it was new and I have never had a moment that I couldn't share about it. I driven far and wide, through North America and I would definitely consider it to be the best car I have ever driven. It's smooth, quiet, luxuriously appointed, yet sporty and great to look at. The drive quality is above average, the performance is great, though over-time it's best to use Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil to retain the original performance of the car. The car handles great after I added a custom 2002 Solara suspension to the car and slightly tuned the new shocks to give it a bit more grip and feel to the road! Overall an amazing car that I recommend to anyone that loves cars!

Favorite Features

I love the styling, it's very sophisticated, yet simply beautiful to look at. It's sophisticated because it's the first time Toyota took a different approach to making a car that is both aerodynamic and differently styled from other cars in its lineup. I love the perforated leather, the wood trim, JBL sound system, automatic lights, heated seats, auto-dimming mirrors, automatic climate control unit and the interior that is large enough to fit me (I'm 6'5", with longer legs). The torque is just perfect, gives me a great 0-100 time and the exhaust note is barely noticeable.

Suggested Improvements

Interior though may seem strong or feel strong at first, but in reality it's brittle. A button on my radio has fallen off, my visor's mirrors have either broken or fallen off, the rear handles to get in and out of the backseat have become loose and the money pocket area to the left of the steering column doesn't close. The car is VERY unreliable. Let me explain to you what has gone wrong: O2 sensor thrice, egr valve, steering pump, thermostat, water pump, suspension, shocks thrice, inner tie rods, battery replaced at one time 8 times in 2 years, alternator twice, resonator twice, heat sensor, transmission cable, fan belt twice and indicator switch (cost $150 to replace that).