Used 1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Best Car Ever Built
By kwn1237

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

My Toyota Solara just hit 220,000 miles and still has the ORIGINAL alternator, motor, transmission, radiator, hoses, A/C compressor, and much much more. All the car ever needs is gas and oil to run for an infinite amount of miles. There is no rust at all and the interior still looks as if it is brand new. I recently had the car in the transmission shop because the rubber seal had cracked from age, he was absolutely astounded that most of the parts are original, especially the transmission which he claims if the oldest highest mileage one he has seen in his career. He said the car, if taken care of, will EASILY see 350,000. I will never own a better car in my life, truly on a level of its own

Favorite Features

-Flawless ride, has been compared to the ride of a Cadillac by everyone who has ever been in it. True pleasure on highway and around town -Beautiful and EXTREMELY comfortable black airated leather seats. Very sporty -Gorgeous wood and black leather finish comparable to any upscale European car -MORE then enough acceleration and horsepower, incredibly fast V6 motor, but excellent gas mileage of 30 highway and 22 city (yes, with a v6!) -Sleek and sexy lines on the outside, a timeless body style -Good handling and grip, front wheel drive good in snow, corners well -JBL premium sound system is better then any stock sound system ever installed in an automobile -Most reliable machine EVER

Suggested Improvements

I can not think of any improvements that could be made to this car. You have the best of not both worlds, but every world! The car is sexy and sporty, but at the same time classy and elegant with its luxury appeal. And yet at the same time, you have the economical standpoint of some hybrids! The V6 engine blows other cars in the dust. The sound system is perfection. Standard equipment in the base model is more than of a top of the line Honda Civic not just 1999, but most likely up to 2005! Everything is easy to use in the car, nothing complex or quirky. All you will ever have to do to this car is turn the key, put it in drive, and enjoy every second of this motoring perfection by Toyota.

The best car for the money!
By AnthonyDunn

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I purchased this Solara in 2002 and it had 75,000 miles on it. It now has 200,000 miles and has been Uber Reliable. I put one timing belt on it and a starter that I got off eBay for 60 bucks. This car has never failed me and is as smooth today with 200k as it was with 75k. I plan to drive it another 200k and I think it will make it just fine.

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

None I hope my next Camry is this good!

this is the best first car.
By turbo25

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing it holds up extremly well, has an amazing build quality and it has so much structual rigidity. I got into a 35mph rear end collision with my car and there is only a penny sized paint scratch on the bumper. this car is so awesome!!!

Favorite Features

Everything about the car is amazing

Suggested Improvements

This car doesnt need any improvements.

Solara - 2nd half life better.
By Gene

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE V6 2dr Coupe

Brought this special order 5-speed new. It was a good car for the first 5 years. Excellent wear and tear, great mileage (32 mpg on the highway), solid build, and sporty but smooth ride. However, an irritating noise in the suspension was a little irritating. After a recall of 4 door models for a suspension issue, finally Toyota investigated my complaint. They found I had the same issue, fixed it for free, now it is even better.

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet and solid ride even though it is almost 12 years old. I feel totally confident that it won't leave me stranded even with over 200K miles.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing!

Extremely reliable, quiet ride
By KY

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

Love this car! It drives likes a Lexus. I have owned the 1999 Solara SLE V6 since it was new. I have had few problems with it in the 11 years. Get the leather in this car! It is unbelievably comfortable. I would love to drive a Prius for the gas mileage but I'm keeping my classic as long as I can.

Favorite Features

Luxurious interior! :) Bonus: inside the Solara key is a special chip and the car will not start without it. Therefore this Solara is difficult to steal and the insurance rates are lower than expected.

Suggested Improvements

My V6 doesn't get great gas mileage (25-26 mpg combined driving) but you can't have everything.