Used 1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

this is the best first car.
By turbo25

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing it holds up extremly well, has an amazing build quality and it has so much structual rigidity. I got into a 35mph rear end collision with my car and there is only a penny sized paint scratch on the bumper. this car is so awesome!!!

Everything about the car is amazing

This car doesnt need any improvements.

Best Car Ever Built
By kwn1237

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

My Toyota Solara just hit 220,000 miles and still has the ORIGINAL alternator, motor, transmission, radiator, hoses, A/C compressor, and much much more. All the car ever needs is gas and oil to run for an infinite amount of miles. There is no rust at all and the interior still looks as if it is brand new. I recently had the car in the transmission shop because the rubber seal had cracked from age, he was absolutely astounded that most of the parts are original, especially the transmission which he claims if the oldest highest mileage one he has seen in his career. He said the car, if taken care of, will EASILY see 350,000. I will never own a better car in my life, truly on a level of its own

-Flawless ride, has been compared to the ride of a Cadillac by everyone who has ever been in it. True pleasure on highway and around town -Beautiful and EXTREMELY comfortable black airated leather seats. Very sporty -Gorgeous wood and black leather finish comparable to any upscale European car -MORE then enough acceleration and horsepower, incredibly fast V6 motor, but excellent gas mileage of 30 highway and 22 city (yes, with a v6!) -Sleek and sexy lines on the outside, a timeless body style -Good handling and grip, front wheel drive good in snow, corners well -JBL premium sound system is better then any stock sound system ever installed in an automobile -Most reliable machine EVER

I can not think of any improvements that could be made to this car. You have the best of not both worlds, but every world! The car is sexy and sporty, but at the same time classy and elegant with its luxury appeal. And yet at the same time, you have the economical standpoint of some hybrids! The V6 engine blows other cars in the dust. The sound system is perfection. Standard equipment in the base model is more than of a top of the line Honda Civic not just 1999, but most likely up to 2005! Everything is easy to use in the car, nothing complex or quirky. All you will ever have to do to this car is turn the key, put it in drive, and enjoy every second of this motoring perfection by Toyota.

Sex on Wheels
By toyotasolara

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car since it was new and I have never had a moment that I couldn't share about it. I driven far and wide, through North America and I would definitely consider it to be the best car I have ever driven. It's smooth, quiet, luxuriously appointed, yet sporty and great to look at. The drive quality is above average, the performance is great, though over-time it's best to use Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil to retain the original performance of the car. The car handles great after I added a custom 2002 Solara suspension to the car and slightly tuned the new shocks to give it a bit more grip and feel to the road! Overall an amazing car that I recommend to anyone that loves cars!

I love the styling, it's very sophisticated, yet simply beautiful to look at. It's sophisticated because it's the first time Toyota took a different approach to making a car that is both aerodynamic and differently styled from other cars in its lineup. I love the perforated leather, the wood trim, JBL sound system, automatic lights, heated seats, auto-dimming mirrors, automatic climate control unit and the interior that is large enough to fit me (I'm 6'5", with longer legs). The torque is just perfect, gives me a great 0-100 time and the exhaust note is barely noticeable.

Interior though may seem strong or feel strong at first, but in reality it's brittle. A button on my radio has fallen off, my visor's mirrors have either broken or fallen off, the rear handles to get in and out of the backseat have become loose and the money pocket area to the left of the steering column doesn't close. The car is VERY unreliable. Let me explain to you what has gone wrong: O2 sensor thrice, egr valve, steering pump, thermostat, water pump, suspension, shocks thrice, inner tie rods, battery replaced at one time 8 times in 2 years, alternator twice, resonator twice, heat sensor, transmission cable, fan belt twice and indicator switch (cost $150 to replace that).

Solara - 2nd half life better.
By Gene

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE V6 2dr Coupe

Brought this special order 5-speed new. It was a good car for the first 5 years. Excellent wear and tear, great mileage (32 mpg on the highway), solid build, and sporty but smooth ride. However, an irritating noise in the suspension was a little irritating. After a recall of 4 door models for a suspension issue, finally Toyota investigated my complaint. They found I had the same issue, fixed it for free, now it is even better.

Smooth, quiet and solid ride even though it is almost 12 years old. I feel totally confident that it won't leave me stranded even with over 200K miles.

Nothing!

Extremely reliable, quiet ride
By KY

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

Love this car! It drives likes a Lexus. I have owned the 1999 Solara SLE V6 since it was new. I have had few problems with it in the 11 years. Get the leather in this car! It is unbelievably comfortable. I would love to drive a Prius for the gas mileage but I'm keeping my classic as long as I can.

Luxurious interior! :) Bonus: inside the Solara key is a special chip and the car will not start without it. Therefore this Solara is difficult to steal and the insurance rates are lower than expected.

My V6 doesn't get great gas mileage (25-26 mpg combined driving) but you can't have everything.