1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:
this is the best first car.
By turbo25 on 04/24/13 13:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

This car is amazing it holds up extremly well, has an amazing build quality and it has so much structual rigidity. I got into a 35mph rear end collision with my car and there is only a penny sized paint scratch on the bumper. this car is so awesome!!!

Best Car Ever Built
By kwn1237 on 10/19/12 17:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

My Toyota Solara just hit 220,000 miles and still has the ORIGINAL alternator, motor, transmission, radiator, hoses, A/C compressor, and much much more. All the car ever needs is gas and oil to run for an infinite amount of miles. There is no rust at all and the interior still looks as if it is brand new. I recently had the car in the transmission shop because the rubber seal had cracked from age, he was absolutely astounded that most of the parts are original, especially the transmission which he claims if the oldest highest mileage one he has seen in his career. He said the car, if taken care of, will EASILY see 350,000. I will never own a better car in my life, truly on a level of its own

Sex on Wheels
By toyotasolara on 04/15/11 17:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car since it was new and I have never had a moment that I couldn't share about it. I driven far and wide, through North America and I would definitely consider it to be the best car I have ever driven. It's smooth, quiet, luxuriously appointed, yet sporty and great to look at. The drive quality is above average, the performance is great, though over-time it's best to use Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil to retain the original performance of the car. The car handles great after I added a custom 2002 Solara suspension to the car and slightly tuned the new shocks to give it a bit more grip and feel to the road! Overall an amazing car that I recommend to anyone that loves cars!

Solara - 2nd half life better.
By Gene on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE V6 2dr Coupe

Brought this special order 5-speed new. It was a good car for the first 5 years. Excellent wear and tear, great mileage (32 mpg on the highway), solid build, and sporty but smooth ride. However, an irritating noise in the suspension was a little irritating. After a recall of 4 door models for a suspension issue, finally Toyota investigated my complaint. They found I had the same issue, fixed it for free, now it is even better.

Extremely reliable, quiet ride
By KY on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

Love this car! It drives likes a Lexus. I have owned the 1999 Solara SLE V6 since it was new. I have had few problems with it in the 11 years. Get the leather in this car! It is unbelievably comfortable. I would love to drive a Prius for the gas mileage but I'm keeping my classic as long as I can.

Future Classic
By Bob on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

My last car got totaled by an idiot. Her insurance paid $4.5 K to buy another car.I saw this pearl color Solara SLEV6 99 with 123K miles on it. It was clean inside out and was fully loaded. Tinted glass, Climatic control, leather seats, spoiler, even 3 remote garage door openers. The seller wanted 6K but sold it for 3.9K so I spent the rest of the money on a timing belt. Now the car has 160K miles on it and over this period it has had 4 new tires, break pads battery, Starter, and is trouble free touch wood. It looks nice and modern and I have no car payments. Can't be bad.

Among most ticketed cars for speeding!
By optimist on 08/25/10 09:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

This was the first V6 car we bought, we were too afraid of fuel cost but this car uses almost the same amount of fuel as a V4 Camry does. In two years of ownership from 130k to 161k miles, apart from tires, brakes, battery etc we only had to deal with check engine lights (cylinder misfire) that would come and go. Tune-up and new plugs and wires would fix the shaky ride and fix the light for the time being but it kept coming back on (would drive fine though). The airbag light also came (same on another 99 Solara SLE 112k we bought later). The car would still drive very smoothly. The drive is so smooth that we wouldn't realize and we'd be cruising at 70mph in 55 zone! Got 20-22 mpg cty/hwy mix

Best car I've ever owned - 8yrs+
By Chris in Charlotte on 07/15/10 19:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I'm on the verge of potentially trading in my dark green/tan leather 99 SLE w/ 157k. I do not want to get rid of it, but a 3 yr old and a newborn make a coupe impractical. Said simply, aside from some suspension issues, a valve cover gasket, and the backlight on the JVC stero going out, the car has been flawless and still looks fantastic. I get comments everywhere. Two recent ones were from the husband/owner of my sons' daycare, who wanted to take a spin, because he always wanted a Solara and never got one ("It's a Lexus with a Toyota badge" - his conclusion), and several less car savvy people who just cant believe its 11 years old.

The best car for the money!
By AnthonyDunn on 07/06/10 23:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I purchased this Solara in 2002 and it had 75,000 miles on it. It now has 200,000 miles and has been Uber Reliable. I put one timing belt on it and a starter that I got off eBay for 60 bucks. This car has never failed me and is as smooth today with 200k as it was with 75k. I plan to drive it another 200k and I think it will make it just fine.

Just Rolled 200,000 on the Clock
By Road Coot on 06/21/10 09:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought my Solara new in 1999 and have had nothing but satisfaction with the vehicle. Regardless I expect to go WAY past 250,000 miles with this car. Just follow the maintenance schedule and take care of it, and it'll be the most reliable vehicle you've ever owned. Would I buy another? In a New York Minute. But this time, I will find a better dealer.