Used 1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry-solara - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Camry Solara

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Solara - 2nd half life better.
By Gene

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

Brought this special order 5-speed new. It was a good car for the first 5 years. Excellent wear and tear, great mileage (32 mpg on the highway), solid build, and sporty but smooth ride. However, an irritating noise in the suspension was a little irritating. After a recall of 4 door models for a suspension issue, finally Toyota investigated my complaint. They found I had the same issue, fixed it for free, now it is even better.

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet and solid ride even though it is almost 12 years old. I feel totally confident that it won't leave me stranded even with over 200K miles.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing!

Great Car Fun to Drive
By Shawn

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

Bought the SE V6 5-speed manual brand new in Dec '98, shipped from the factory, arriving in Jan '99. Still enjoy driving it 11 years later. Regular maintenance is all that has been needed - the total cost of ownership cannot be beat. It is a sporty car that has an actual usable backseat and large trunk. At 153,000 miles, I'm sure it has many more miles left.

Favorite Features

Reliable, large interior and trunk with fold-down rear seats accommodates larger items. Comfortable seats, easy shifting.

Best car I ever bought
By travis aka superman

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

My God I am so grateful for this car I had it for 4 yrs now. Bought it with 75,000 now have 185,000 from the Toyota dealership. Only problems I've had is the starter, EGR valve, window motor, and a slight transmission leak but otherwise it have been a GREAT car. My goal is to get 400,000 miles out of this car.

Favorite Features

Roomy, good on gas, and reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Improve exterior and interior design.

Solara- Excellent Long Ranger
By Gene

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

I keep cars a long time. My '97 Solara should break my record for longevity. Brought it new and it now has 171200 miles on it. It is also a 5-speed (special ordered) V6, and the clutch is still original and still tight. Mileage is about 33mpg if I can keep my speed below 65mph. Reality has been excellent and I only had a suspension problem, which took Toyota several attempts, but was finally fixed. If you can get one used, it is an excellent choice.

Favorite Features

My 5-speed, because I know that there are very few around. Even service departments are shocked when I bring it in. It helps me with the gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing! It is fine and they have looked good with each new iteration.

The best!
By Misha

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for over a year now and already put 18000 miles on it. It is definitely the best car I've ever owned. Previous owner had installed TRD suspension kit so the car is lower then normal you have a better control. In the past year I had to replace generator, thermostat, brakes, clutch, 2 wheel barrels - not a big deal.

Favorite Features

Lots of power! 200 hp, you could get it up to almost 300 hp with an optional TRD supercharger! Japanese made. Good gas mileage: ~30MPG