Which Hybrid to choose....
By basictek on
2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
So I did tons of research that included the new fusion, sonata/optima, new accord, and toyota's own lexus/avalon. I would have preferred a kewler/sportier fusion but the slow and unproven hybrid system turned me off, the sonata/optima are lacking in mileage, reliability, build quality, and more (my last car was 2011 sonata SE). The avalon.Lexus charge too much for the exact same engine plus better styling, more standard features, and roomier interior (which the camry is plenty big enough). This left only the new accord, which has quite a few new features never before tried on a hybrid, and a price tag about 5K more. If I had more to spend I probably would have gone this route...
Favorite Features
The acceleration, smooth quiet ride, excellent handling for camry or hybrid, Toyota's hybrid track record (75% of all hybrids sold in US), reliability, well laid out dash with good technology features (a2dp bluetooth for streaming music apps, nav, and music from my droid), USB integration, storage and drink holders everywhere, very large comfortable cabin including back seats (no hump in middle). I really like the climate control, the hybrid readouts help me actually become a better driver and get outstanding mileage between 30 MPG (very aggressive driving) to 56MPG with eco and EV modes engaged cruising around 40 MPH at the airport). 2012 has improved the Camry looks a little too.
Suggested Improvements
Find a way to offer folding seats like other mid sized cars (like Fusion) slant the glove box so everything doesn't fall out when opened, make the front seats grip better like the SE, offer seat memory standard on XLE, sport mode (that disables EV and eco and can maybe speed up the CVT a bit would be nice). Keep working on improving the exterior styling.
By basictek
on 03/24/14 09:19 AM (PDT)

I recently read consumer reports 2014 where the Camry Hybrid was on the most reliable and least expensive to own list. After reading the report I'm really glad the Honda Accord was not yet available in my area (the civic is among the least reliable hybrids and getting worse each year) Ford and Hyundai are below average reliability especially their hybrids. I'm surprised by all the unhelpful responses to my review, must be people justifying the fords, hyundais, and Kias they bought or the extra $15,000 they spent on a few extra features and big L in their dash. anyway I stand by everything in my review and this car is extremely refined and quick for a hybrid. I heard the SE is now available so i would recommend if you can get the SE hybrid go for it. Much better appearance, seats, handling, similar features and cost as the XLE. I wish it was available when I bought. I still drive really fast and averaging about 35 MPG after about 6 months now. That's about 15 better than my previous Hyundai Sonata SE which was about 20. I drive about 40/60 highway/city.