2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Sort Reviews by

Ours is a 2009
By pleroma02

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/13 (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've loved this vehicle until today when the engine light came on and we discovered that the hybridizing engine battery replacement is almost $5,000. Also, the electrically run wheels will drive your tires off at half life. If you are buying a Toyota Camry Hybrid to save money, rethink that. The dollars you save on fuel economy is way offset by the cost of tires and that trunk battery.

Favorite Features

Quiet motor; great leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

Make the batteries last longer than 5 years.

2014 Camry Hybrid
By retiredat54

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just bought the 2014 Camry Hybrid with al options. Or most of them. Feels like an electric car, has good acceleration. Very good electronics, including Entune package. Very good gas mileage. Many features, Not cheap, it is expensive. I really can't say quality if great, until some time passes. The little engine and electronic motor perform very well for a small engine. Stiff riding, no sporty feel. Not great in cornering. Compared to our old Camry, it is stiff riding, our old Camry rode much more cushy. Seats are stiff, not as comfortable as they should be.

Favorite Features

Entune entertainment system and extras, navigation, etc, very good. Electronic motor has good feel and power. Gas engine has good power for a small engine. Dependability, so far based on past experience with Toyota. Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Make the car feel more sporty, feels stiff and electric. make the seats comfortable. Anything will improve the seats.

Toyota is slipping.
By lovetodrive123

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my fourth Toyota Camry and my second XLE hybrid. My 2011 hybrid vibrated when it was at rest. The 2014 is much improved in this respect. The 2014 also has quicker acceleration and better handling. In other respects, Toyota has really made the car less desirable. Most notably, the driver's seat doesn't have enough padding. It is rock hard and uncomfortable right in the middle. Can't imagine why they would save a little money and make such a big mistake in comfort. Also, I can no longer fit my umbrella in the side pockets on the doors. Everything falls out of the glove compartment on the passenger side. Glove compartment in the center no longer has the basket that held my pen.

Suggested Improvements

Imagine my shock when I opened the trunk and the thin layer of ice that was on the outside of the car trunk broke apart, smashed into the rear window and right into the trunk. Big design flaw. Guess Toyota just tested the design with water. Overall, the outside of the car has a grandpa design to it. It needs an update. The carpet is cheaper. Don't like the patched together leather design. My light gray interior has a black dashboard rather than matching gray. I don't like it because it shows the dust and dirt. I realize Toyota needs to save some features for their higher priced Avalon and Lexus, but this model is costly enough at around $30,000. For the cost, I will shop other brands.

Which Hybrid to choose....
By basictek

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So I did tons of research that included the new fusion, sonata/optima, new accord, and toyota's own lexus/avalon. I would have preferred a kewler/sportier fusion but the slow and unproven hybrid system turned me off, the sonata/optima are lacking in mileage, reliability, build quality, and more (my last car was 2011 sonata SE). The avalon.Lexus charge too much for the exact same engine plus better styling, more standard features, and roomier interior (which the camry is plenty big enough). This left only the new accord, which has quite a few new features never before tried on a hybrid, and a price tag about 5K more. If I had more to spend I probably would have gone this route...

Favorite Features

The acceleration, smooth quiet ride, excellent handling for camry or hybrid, Toyota's hybrid track record (75% of all hybrids sold in US), reliability, well laid out dash with good technology features (a2dp bluetooth for streaming music apps, nav, and music from my droid), USB integration, storage and drink holders everywhere, very large comfortable cabin including back seats (no hump in middle). I really like the climate control, the hybrid readouts help me actually become a better driver and get outstanding mileage between 30 MPG (very aggressive driving) to 56MPG with eco and EV modes engaged cruising around 40 MPH at the airport). 2012 has improved the Camry looks a little too.

Suggested Improvements

Find a way to offer folding seats like other mid sized cars (like Fusion) slant the glove box so everything doesn't fall out when opened, make the front seats grip better like the SE, offer seat memory standard on XLE, sport mode (that disables EV and eco and can maybe speed up the CVT a bit would be nice). Keep working on improving the exterior styling.