Disapointed
By droycraft on
2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Having driven a 97 Camry for 16 years and loved the smooth ride, I've been very disappointed with the much stiffer suspension in my new 2013 Camry XLE. Why did Toyota think Camry buyers would want to feel every single tiny imperfection in the road? Doesn't make any sense to me. Additionally, the front seat backs curve forward near the top of the seatback, pushing my shoulder blades forward. This has resulted in it being very difficult to find a comfortable driving position. (I'm tall). I love the hybrid drive system. It works wonderfully. I'm routinely getting in the mid to high 40s MPG. It also handles well and has plenty of power.
Favorite Features
Hybrid drive system - works exremely well. styling - very nice inside and out Dash board controls are intuitive and easy to use Backup camera - very useful
Suggested Improvements
Go back to the much smoother ride of previous Camrys. There's an "SE" model if you want a sports car feel, but make the regular Camry's ride smooth again! Redesign the front seat backs so that they don't push your shoulder blades forward, making it unconfortable for "normal" driving positions. Offer things like the blind spot monitor without having to buy a moon roof - because I'm too tall to fit in a Camry with a moon roof The car came with cheap crummy tires that caused a vibration. I had to put new Michelin tires on it to get rid of a vibration caused by the OEM tires. (The dealer said what I was feeling was "normal")
By droycraft
on 05/25/13 19:05 PM (PDT)

I'm the author of this review and I have a couple further comments. I just got back from a trip to West Virginia, using the built in navigation system. Sadly, my $130 Garmin portable unit I use in my 97 Camry is far superior to the brand new built in navigation system in my 2013 Camry Hybrid. Very disappointed. One of the many things it does wrong is that when you get to 4 way intersection and it should direct you to continue straight through on the same road, if the road on the far side of the intersection veers off ever so slightly from exactly straight ahead, the idiot navigation system sees that as a turn and directs you to turn either left or right at that intersection to stay on the very same road. However, there is also a real 90 degree turn possible and if you obey the navigation system - and turn, you'll be on the wrong road. This has already happened several times. What a miserable excuse for a navigation system. Toyota should be ashamed! I'm in the process of writing a letter to Toyota. On the positive side of the trip, driving up and down the Mountains of western Maryland and north central West Virginia, I still got better than 40 MPG.... Gotta love that.

By max2802
on 07/11/13 03:52 AM (PDT)

I absolutely agree with you droycraft, I can't understand why would toyota make stiffer suspension like they did which makes you feel evry bump on the road. I am very very disappointed with it. Everything else is good. They should do recall on it.

By droycraft
on 09/28/13 20:05 PM (PDT)

Once again, I'm the author of the original 'disappointed" review. I've now owned my 2013 Camry Hybrid XLE for 6 months and 7000 miles. I've replaced the terrible OEM tires with Michelins and modified the seat back by taking it to an auto upholstry shop to accommodate my tall frame. Having done these things, I now LOVE my Camry Hybird. Its a wonderful, very comfortable car and the hybrid system is top notch. Back and forth to work, I average 46 mpg and on recent trips of over 1300 miles, I averaged over 43 mpg. The navigation system is still terrible, but I stuck my far superior and much less expensive Garmin unit on my windshield and that worked just fine. OK Toyota, why on earth won't you make a decent navigation system? Oh well. I guess Toyotas aren't perfect after all. But I can honestly say that I'm very glad I bought it and plan to keep it a long time.