Stay Away from Toyota Hybrid False MPG estimate
By suemcsuey on
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I had high hopes for the 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid. The claim to get 43mpg city and 39mpg hwy for a combined estimate of 41mpg. NOT! I have had for 10,000 miles 7 months and I average 31.4 mpg. I bought this car because of all the city driving I do. I drive the kids 20 miles each way to and from school. I do a lot of driving for my job. This has been the worst experience ever. I have contacted Toyota Customer Experience Center because this is where the dealer directed me after my numerous complaints. I went yesterday to dealer for yet another test and wasted 7 hours. They say it checks out fine with no problems. I think getting 10 miles less per gallon is a pretty huge problem that is being overlooked. That is the problem. Stay away from Toyota and their false (Estimate) Buy a Honda I've owned 4 and never had any problems with the cars or customer service. I only chose Toyota because of their history with the Hybrid.Unhappy Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner
Suggested Improvements
This car does not get anywhere near estimated MPG you need to change this false estimate Toyota. Quality of parts on car. Every time I look I find a plastic piece of floor or trunk of car.
By mpgkid
on 02/01/13 09:27 AM (PST)

It isn't the car. Driving habits need to change in order to accomplish EPA mileage estimates. Some suggestions for increased MPG: Drive the speed limit, going over 70 mph will drastically reduce your mpg. Let off the accellerator when a light is red up ahead. Accelerate gradually from a dead stop. I drive for a living and the driving habits of many people are terrible. Cars going 20 plus miles over the limit, racing up to red lights, passing on exit ramps, driving in the left lane under the speed limit, just to mention a few. I have always been able to exceed EPA estimates with my past and present vehicle. My current 2012 Camry XLE averages in the low 40's constantly. In the city, in stop and go driving, I've gotten has high as in the upper 50's.

By ctobo
on 02/04/13 08:20 AM (PST)

I purchased a 2012 in Sept and thought I loved it..right until I hit the 4000 mile mark - i went from near 40mpg to 30 mpg and now average AT BEST 34 miles per gallon. I have manuallly calculated with my fill ups as well as confirmed the cars reported MPG - both are showing about 34 mpg and both show the same dramatic drop on the bar graph. Toyota repair told me the same thing - it is working fine...but a 20-25% decline in MPG after just 4000 miles is NOT workign fine from where I sit ... VERY unhappy consumer.

By stevenh2
on 10/13/12 12:41 PM (PDT)

sorry to hear you have a problem. I have the camry xle hybrid since january. i have 10k miles on it with no problems. it getsd me 40.8 in florida ,local and long distance. on a recnet trip of 1200 mile to bufally n.y. i averaged 39.6 but i was going over 70 mph and that cut down my milage over 68 mph it starts to drop at that speed i got 40.3. not bad and i check it in the cars computor and at fill up dividing the miles in to the gal bought. both were equal.. great car now i went to see the new fusion and that will camry some reall competion. the rear seat folds down ,so there is more cargo space and it gets 47 mpg?? it is slower on 0-60 ..the style is empressive..so we shall see the cars are getting better and better, when will toyota use litium batteries instead of the convential that eat up room and are not as strong.