Boring and Overpriced
By oildrip on
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Where do you start with this strange car. The trunk is taken up with the battery so I'm not sure why they bothered with the tiny opening from one rear seat that is capable of folding down, I guess a broom handle can fit through there. Very little trunk space, a few suitcases and it's full. The cloth seats are cheap and not very supportive, the leather are much better. The interior screams cheap, the navigation has a very poor resolution display. The winning noise as you slow down drives you crazy in city driving. I find the start and stoping of the engine also very anoying and very noticable in this car.
Favorite Features
I guess the only thing going for this car is the high mileage and the instruments that are more normal and mostly intuitive.
Suggested Improvements
Hybrids are not something I care for and I don't think they will be around that long. They very well might satisfy a small segment of the market but diesel cars that you find all over Europe are so superior and get similar mileage to hybrids and perform better. Ask a mechanic. Maybe Toyota can introduce a diesel version but after looking at there product line they I wouldn't buy much from them.
By aztrippin
on 04/21/14 14:45 PM (PDT)

I have owner this exact car for over a year now and this review is just plain false! If he wanted a big trunk or cargo area, get a SUV that has poor gas mileage. As for the engine starting and stopping? You really don't even notice it, especially if you have the radio on. He goes on to say that he really does not even like hybrids and thinks diesels are better. Well I had a diesel VW and it only got 38 miles per gallon on the highway and the price of the fuel is a lot higher, AND it took a lot more maintenance. We drive conservatively and get 40-42 MPG around town. Also, the price to own is a lot lower overall on a Toyota Hybrid. Consumer Reports rates these cars in the top of their segment and is one of the least expensive cars to own cost per mile. Look it up.