2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Review: tiptoe steering & then bliss

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Review

LE Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

tiptoe steering & then bliss
By pleased_as_p on

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had it two days....mileage started at 10 mpg at 10 miles and is now up to 33 mpg at 150 miles. Steering better than 1998 Camry or 2005 Tundra. Acceleration about the same as 1998 Camry (V6). If you have the transmitter in your hand the door unlocks. EV plus ECO mode for economy. 600+ miles per tank of gas. Brilliant sharp headlights. Excellent interior temperature control. Put seats up high to get more elbow room and better visibility. Comfy driving position/adjustable steering wheel. Pass through from trunk for fishing poles/lumber. Mirrors well situated. Some wind noise at 70 mph. Almost no motor noise until accelerator is floored. Less wind down sound than 2011.

Drive home was weird as the car's steering seemed to be over correcting in cross winds. Took it to local Toyota (not where I bought it) and they said there was noting they could do....go get/drive another said the customer service guy! My partner and I were very upset with this so we took it to our tire man and had the tire pressure checked. All 4 tires overinflated! Steering problem went away! Went back and complained and the service manager said I was wrong to expect their help. Owner stated sales is more important than service so we will be getting service 100 miles away. Make sure you use a service center that registers all work on the vehicle on the Toyota database(some don't).
By hbqiao
on 02/21/12 17:22 PM (PST)

I also had the problem of over inflated tires when I got my car. They were inflated to 40PSI. Looks like they were set to 40PSI in the factory and dealer sometimes forget to reset it.