Used 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

1500 mile road tewst.
By cowboy32

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

An odd turn of events found me picking up my sons new TCH and delivering it to him in Miami Fl. I left OKC and drove out of Oklahom across Arkansas Clipped the corner of Tennessee and drove the whole North side of Mississippi. Finally after 651.2 miles I stopped in Alabama and filled up. It took 16.005 gallons which yielded a MPG of 40.6+ MPG. aT 1053 MILES i filled it again and still had 40.6+ mpg for the trip. All of this was at approx 72MPH. Once I entered Florida the traffic dictated that I should drive 75 or 75+ so I did. That run got 37.5 or so. Yes we did get 55 and 57 on a couple of controlled runs at low speed but as far as the real world of interstate driving is concerned 40 is OK.

Favorite Features

MPG and power burst when you really hit it. good dash layout. Very quite. I bought one too because we both like them.

Suggested Improvements

Should include a relief driver. Trip was too long for a solo.

Very impressed!
By rebmo1

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Iím going on 1000mi and so far fantastic car. First looked at the L4 but the hybrid got my attention. I was never too interested in hybrids, either too small or not enough mileage difference between the regular gas versions, but that's all changed on the Camry. It has great power and incredible gas mileage for a mid size sedan. Other than the spaceship sound (kind of cool) when you brake (regenerative power transfer) you can hardly tell itís a hybrid. Wow! The looks have been sharpened and the interior is very comfortable for me. Traded my reliable 2005 Camry LE and am very pleased with the new Camry and first hybrid for me. I'm getting low to mid 40mph consistently with about 80% rural highway and 20% 25-35mph rural roads near home and work.

Favorite Features

Smooth Hybrid system, power, Brake downshift feature, visibility, quietness, low effort steering, touch screen & info on dash, comfortable seating, Bluetooth phone compatibility, USB flash interface for my entire music collection on one flash drive and touch screen control. I wasn't sure I'd like the smart key system, but really love it. No more messing with my keys to get in the car. It takes a little getting used to though. I like the classic looks, not flash in the pan styling, good clean lines and easy wheels to clean. I selected the cypress pearl with the ivory interior. Wanted a less common color and really like it. The black dash & trim with the ivory seating is a classy look.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is great but would feel better not having such a light material panel on the seating. It might get a bit soiled down the road, but we'll see. Nice and cool in summer though. I wish homelink was available without the high end XLE option package. I believe you can add just the mirror, but living with a garage remote in the car still. I would have liked turn signals indicators on the mirrors for extra safety. I wish the OEM all weather mats were better. I bought aftermarket black rubber (soft) mid grade Weathertechs and they are great. Still waiting for a WT black rubber trunk mat. None of the above are show stoppers, but would give the edge.

THE 2012 TOYOTA CAMRY XLE HYBRID offers the BEST VALUE, DRIVE,COMFORT, RIDE, AMENITIES & MILEAGE EVER!!
By mls4deals2

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Best Car Of The Year Value, Drive,comfort, Ride, Amenities & Mileage!! ó I have owned 3 camrys and two Avalons the latest being a 2011 Avalon LIMITED with all the bells and whistles. I LOVED THE AVALON...but didnt like the Mileage (23 mpg avg). I found out the Avalon body style is changing to look like the Lexus 460 THIS YEAR (in 2 MONTHS!) AND DISCOVERED MY VALUE WOULD GO DOWN ABOUT 6K TO 10K THIS YEAR! TIMING WAS PERFECT as the deal offered me by my fleet mgr was full value for trade and back of invoice for ybrid Camry:) My Gas & insurance bill dropped in half!! Who could ask for anything more??

Favorite Features

"FANTASTIC SAVINGS! VALUE! FUN! COMFORT! STYLE AND MPG!!" Tech Package with HD Radio & upgraded navigation with Entune features!! GET the BLIND SPOT MONITOR!! Love the ride and drive and feel compared to other Hybrids I drove (Hyundai, Kia, Ford Fusion,& Volt). Upgraded throughout...Like getting married...You must see, Touch & FEEL it :) Quality & Very Quiet over the others!!

Suggested Improvements

Extend the center console even further for more arm comfort. This is likely the ONLY NEW CAR without the TURN signas on the outside of the mirrors??? Even the Prius C has them? It is huge safety PLUS and curbs accidents. The Camry XLE for 35K should have them dont you think?

HYBRID ALL THE WAY!
By danq3

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First time hybrid buyer, just got 2012 camry hybrid xle w/ full option minus blind spot monitor & hdd navi. This car demonstrates toyota is the undisputed king of Hybrid. Zippiest hybrid ever & you'll never be dissapointed for lacking in power. Cruising 50-60 & need to take over a car... it will respond like it has a rocket booster, you'll literally feel the boost & it's a blast. It has a exceptionally refined exterior and interior however the seat are super firm esp. with leather so your butt may feel bit soar after a long ride but because the cabin is so comfortable otherwise minor discomfor w/ soar bum is easily forgotten. All important real world Mpg is 37 city 42 hwy so far...

Favorite Features

Too many to mention but I'll just menttion two. 1) 200 HP Engine / Motor Combo. 2) Whisper quiet interior without any noticeable shuttering when automatically switching back & forth from gas to electric.

Suggested Improvements

Plushier material in the seats would be nice. Leather pkg seats are too firm on the butt and numbness sets in after about a hour drive.

Best Hybrid I have ever owned or driven!
By djmontierth

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been driving Hybrids since 2004. I owned a Prius, and Insight. I have driven the Fusion and was seriously considering the new Fusion to come ... someday... I have driven the Volt and the techno wizardry is way cool but the numbers and economy for my long commute don't make sense. I drove the Priuc C and it is cool and efficient to be sure.. Easily averaged 57mpg but it seemed small like my Honda Insight. I drove the 3rd Gen Prius and thought it a major improvement over my 2nd Gen in ride and economy. Then I drove the Camery and practiced my hyper-milage skills I learned just to see what I could do around town. I got 63 in town and 53 on the hwy. Driving normal I got 47 mpg

Favorite Features

Power of the electric motor. The 199 hp motor is the selling point to this car. The acceleration is amazing and the regeneration is even better. The big motor/generator allows you to break so much harder and not waste the energy with the break pads. I am amazed at how quiet the car is even under hard acceleration. I also like that it does not have all the distracting gadgetry. The breaking is very linear compared to every other hybrid I have driven.

Suggested Improvements

I have notices that you can break lightly and the cruse control will sometimes still be engaged. It concerned me at first but have gotten use to it.