Used 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

I love this car!
By applegator

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second Camry Hybrid, my first was a 2008. The ride is smooth, seats are very comfortable and MPG has been improved since 2008! Since this is our commuting vehicle this is very important to us. The trunk is bigger now as well! I love the back up camera which is new.

Favorite Features

Improved MPG! Back up camera, comfortable seats and smooth ride! I love the 2 year/25,000 mile free maintenance that came with the car!

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of.

Stay Away from Toyota Hybrid False MPG estimate
By suemcsuey

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had high hopes for the 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid. The claim to get 43mpg city and 39mpg hwy for a combined estimate of 41mpg. NOT! I have had for 10,000 miles 7 months and I average 31.4 mpg. I bought this car because of all the city driving I do. I drive the kids 20 miles each way to and from school. I do a lot of driving for my job. This has been the worst experience ever. I have contacted Toyota Customer Experience Center because this is where the dealer directed me after my numerous complaints. I went yesterday to dealer for yet another test and wasted 7 hours. They say it checks out fine with no problems. I think getting 10 miles less per gallon is a pretty huge problem that is being overlooked. That is the problem. Stay away from Toyota and their false (Estimate) Buy a Honda I've owned 4 and never had any problems with the cars or customer service. I only chose Toyota because of their history with the Hybrid.Unhappy Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner

Suggested Improvements

This car does not get anywhere near estimated MPG you need to change this false estimate Toyota. Quality of parts on car. Every time I look I find a plastic piece of floor or trunk of car.

5,000 miles trip
By wtibbyj

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Took a trip from Omaha to New Brunswick and back. Best combination of mpg, power, & comfort. Between 70 & 75 mpg got better than 39 mpg, quick passing regardless of speed, effortless cruising whether going up mountains, or with four adults, and snappy pick-up whenever asked. Electric lumbar support proved invalueable for the longer trips. Several passengers appreciated the rear ventilation duct and the rear seat space and comfort. Style and color not trendy but with privacy glass, looks classy but still seems conservative. Steering is responsive and precise. The controls are easy to adjust to and reach. Overall the ride is quite solid and relatively smooth. So far, great reliability

Favorite Features

Power button: nice not to have to insert key for the ignition, the doors, and the trunk. Backup camera is useful in tight spots that eliminates neck strain. The smooth ride and sheer power whenever the accellerator is pushed. The engine quits when the car stops and almost seemless transition to the gas engine. The hybrid electric power saves quite a bit of gas at under about 27 mph which I use often when entering my neighborhood and at other low speed areas. Like the gauges that track the gas mileage one gets but however, it could easily turn into an obsession. Front seats that fold all the way to the rear so that you can rest. Most of all, it gives at least the mpg as advertised.

Suggested Improvements

Should have outside rear view mirror turning signals on this vehicle. Shocked that there are no lighted vanity mirrors. Should be an indicator light on the dash board to alert driver when automatic headlights are activated. Driver should be able to dictate when fog light can be activated. Continue to strive for bigger trunk. Have phone status indicator on screen not come on when backup camera is activated because it obstructs camera view when backing up (real safety issue). Longer and plusher seat cushion. When unlock key fob is activated, dome light should come on for 5-10 seconds to locate and provide illumination to vehicle. Front passenger seat should fold forward for longer items

Having your cake and eating it
By ijennings1

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first Camry. Recently I owned a 2010 Mazda 6 3.7 and a 2012 Kia Optima 2.4. The Camry simply is a class above these two. I hadn't even driven a Camry or a Hybrid before June this year. I believe cars should go around bends when asked to, which is why I never owned one. However, Toyota have re-worked the suspension and it handles better than my Mazda, although not quite as good as the Optima. The hard ride is new to Camry owners, but it is there, believe me. However, it holds the road well, the Bridgestone Turanza tires appear to help.

Favorite Features

Build quality, 0-60 mph in just over 7 secs and yet you get 35-43 mpg. Road holding is good. Is this really a Camry?

Suggested Improvements

Hard ride, please copy Altima and Fusion's superb suspension set up. XLE is poorly decked out. Evertthing is an extra, poor standard warranty. Full verson of my write up appears on Cars.com

Motorboating
By cowboy32

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A weekend trip to Texas found my TCH leaving a wake in the heavy rain soaked pavement. It did cause me to drive slower then but otherwise there was quite a bit of 75 MPH driving. All in all we covered 681 miles on 16.803 gallons before stopping to fill up. 40.53 MPG = Great for this driving. The car handled well on all surfaces and proved to be quite and comfortable as well as enjoyable to drive. Glad we got it . The local hailstorm saved me 35%. (Well just 25% off of sticker after repairs). Happy as a hog in new mud!

Favorite Features

Gotta admit it I am a fuel consumption readout junkie. Cant seem to quit looking at the readout for MPG etc and especially the one that shows the switch from engine to electric and back. The one that shows the engine and battery seems to draw my eyes back to it a lot. The nav unit is also improved from my 2008 Sienna's.

Suggested Improvements

The seat does not seem all that comfortable at first but somehow I dont get tired in it.