2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Sort Reviews by

I love this car!
By applegator

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second Camry Hybrid, my first was a 2008. The ride is smooth, seats are very comfortable and MPG has been improved since 2008! Since this is our commuting vehicle this is very important to us. The trunk is bigger now as well! I love the back up camera which is new.

Favorite Features

Improved MPG! Back up camera, comfortable seats and smooth ride! I love the 2 year/25,000 mile free maintenance that came with the car!

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of.

Stay Away from Toyota Hybrid False MPG estimate
By suemcsuey

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had high hopes for the 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid. The claim to get 43mpg city and 39mpg hwy for a combined estimate of 41mpg. NOT! I have had for 10,000 miles 7 months and I average 31.4 mpg. I bought this car because of all the city driving I do. I drive the kids 20 miles each way to and from school. I do a lot of driving for my job. This has been the worst experience ever. I have contacted Toyota Customer Experience Center because this is where the dealer directed me after my numerous complaints. I went yesterday to dealer for yet another test and wasted 7 hours. They say it checks out fine with no problems. I think getting 10 miles less per gallon is a pretty huge problem that is being overlooked. That is the problem. Stay away from Toyota and their false (Estimate) Buy a Honda I've owned 4 and never had any problems with the cars or customer service. I only chose Toyota because of their history with the Hybrid.Unhappy Toyota Camry Hybrid Owner

Suggested Improvements

This car does not get anywhere near estimated MPG you need to change this false estimate Toyota. Quality of parts on car. Every time I look I find a plastic piece of floor or trunk of car.

5,000 miles trip
By wtibbyj

Took a trip from Omaha to New Brunswick and back. Best combination of mpg, power, & comfort. Between 70 & 75 mpg got better than 39 mpg, quick passing regardless of speed, effortless cruising whether going up mountains, or with four adults, and snappy pick-up whenever asked. Electric lumbar support proved invalueable for the longer trips. Several passengers appreciated the rear ventilation duct and the rear seat space and comfort. Style and color not trendy but with privacy glass, looks classy but still seems conservative. Steering is responsive and precise. The controls are easy to adjust to and reach. Overall the ride is quite solid and relatively smooth. So far, great reliability

Favorite Features

Power button: nice not to have to insert key for the ignition, the doors, and the trunk. Backup camera is useful in tight spots that eliminates neck strain. The smooth ride and sheer power whenever the accellerator is pushed. The engine quits when the car stops and almost seemless transition to the gas engine. The hybrid electric power saves quite a bit of gas at under about 27 mph which I use often when entering my neighborhood and at other low speed areas. Like the gauges that track the gas mileage one gets but however, it could easily turn into an obsession. Front seats that fold all the way to the rear so that you can rest. Most of all, it gives at least the mpg as advertised.

Suggested Improvements

Should have outside rear view mirror turning signals on this vehicle. Shocked that there are no lighted vanity mirrors. Should be an indicator light on the dash board to alert driver when automatic headlights are activated. Driver should be able to dictate when fog light can be activated. Continue to strive for bigger trunk. Have phone status indicator on screen not come on when backup camera is activated because it obstructs camera view when backing up (real safety issue). Longer and plusher seat cushion. When unlock key fob is activated, dome light should come on for 5-10 seconds to locate and provide illumination to vehicle. Front passenger seat should fold forward for longer items

Having your cake and eating it
By ijennings1

This is my first Camry. Recently I owned a 2010 Mazda 6 3.7 and a 2012 Kia Optima 2.4. The Camry simply is a class above these two. I hadn't even driven a Camry or a Hybrid before June this year. I believe cars should go around bends when asked to, which is why I never owned one. However, Toyota have re-worked the suspension and it handles better than my Mazda, although not quite as good as the Optima. The hard ride is new to Camry owners, but it is there, believe me. However, it holds the road well, the Bridgestone Turanza tires appear to help.

Favorite Features

Build quality, 0-60 mph in just over 7 secs and yet you get 35-43 mpg. Road holding is good. Is this really a Camry?

Suggested Improvements

Hard ride, please copy Altima and Fusion's superb suspension set up. XLE is poorly decked out. Evertthing is an extra, poor standard warranty. Full verson of my write up appears on Cars.com

Motorboating
By cowboy32

A weekend trip to Texas found my TCH leaving a wake in the heavy rain soaked pavement. It did cause me to drive slower then but otherwise there was quite a bit of 75 MPH driving. All in all we covered 681 miles on 16.803 gallons before stopping to fill up. 40.53 MPG = Great for this driving. The car handled well on all surfaces and proved to be quite and comfortable as well as enjoyable to drive. Glad we got it . The local hailstorm saved me 35%. (Well just 25% off of sticker after repairs). Happy as a hog in new mud!

Favorite Features

Gotta admit it I am a fuel consumption readout junkie. Cant seem to quit looking at the readout for MPG etc and especially the one that shows the switch from engine to electric and back. The one that shows the engine and battery seems to draw my eyes back to it a lot. The nav unit is also improved from my 2008 Sienna's.

Suggested Improvements

The seat does not seem all that comfortable at first but somehow I dont get tired in it.

1500 mile road tewst.
By cowboy32

An odd turn of events found me picking up my sons new TCH and delivering it to him in Miami Fl. I left OKC and drove out of Oklahom across Arkansas Clipped the corner of Tennessee and drove the whole North side of Mississippi. Finally after 651.2 miles I stopped in Alabama and filled up. It took 16.005 gallons which yielded a MPG of 40.6+ MPG. aT 1053 MILES i filled it again and still had 40.6+ mpg for the trip. All of this was at approx 72MPH. Once I entered Florida the traffic dictated that I should drive 75 or 75+ so I did. That run got 37.5 or so. Yes we did get 55 and 57 on a couple of controlled runs at low speed but as far as the real world of interstate driving is concerned 40 is OK.

Favorite Features

MPG and power burst when you really hit it. good dash layout. Very quite. I bought one too because we both like them.

Suggested Improvements

Should include a relief driver. Trip was too long for a solo.

Very impressed!
By rebmo1

Iím going on 1000mi and so far fantastic car. First looked at the L4 but the hybrid got my attention. I was never too interested in hybrids, either too small or not enough mileage difference between the regular gas versions, but that's all changed on the Camry. It has great power and incredible gas mileage for a mid size sedan. Other than the spaceship sound (kind of cool) when you brake (regenerative power transfer) you can hardly tell itís a hybrid. Wow! The looks have been sharpened and the interior is very comfortable for me. Traded my reliable 2005 Camry LE and am very pleased with the new Camry and first hybrid for me. I'm getting low to mid 40mph consistently with about 80% rural highway and 20% 25-35mph rural roads near home and work.

Favorite Features

Smooth Hybrid system, power, Brake downshift feature, visibility, quietness, low effort steering, touch screen & info on dash, comfortable seating, Bluetooth phone compatibility, USB flash interface for my entire music collection on one flash drive and touch screen control. I wasn't sure I'd like the smart key system, but really love it. No more messing with my keys to get in the car. It takes a little getting used to though. I like the classic looks, not flash in the pan styling, good clean lines and easy wheels to clean. I selected the cypress pearl with the ivory interior. Wanted a less common color and really like it. The black dash & trim with the ivory seating is a classy look.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is great but would feel better not having such a light material panel on the seating. It might get a bit soiled down the road, but we'll see. Nice and cool in summer though. I wish homelink was available without the high end XLE option package. I believe you can add just the mirror, but living with a garage remote in the car still. I would have liked turn signals indicators on the mirrors for extra safety. I wish the OEM all weather mats were better. I bought aftermarket black rubber (soft) mid grade Weathertechs and they are great. Still waiting for a WT black rubber trunk mat. None of the above are show stoppers, but would give the edge.

THE 2012 TOYOTA CAMRY XLE HYBRID offers the BEST VALUE, DRIVE,COMFORT, RIDE, AMENITIES & MILEAGE EVER!!
By mls4deals2

Best Car Of The Year Value, Drive,comfort, Ride, Amenities & Mileage!! ó I have owned 3 camrys and two Avalons the latest being a 2011 Avalon LIMITED with all the bells and whistles. I LOVED THE AVALON...but didnt like the Mileage (23 mpg avg). I found out the Avalon body style is changing to look like the Lexus 460 THIS YEAR (in 2 MONTHS!) AND DISCOVERED MY VALUE WOULD GO DOWN ABOUT 6K TO 10K THIS YEAR! TIMING WAS PERFECT as the deal offered me by my fleet mgr was full value for trade and back of invoice for ybrid Camry:) My Gas & insurance bill dropped in half!! Who could ask for anything more??

Favorite Features

"FANTASTIC SAVINGS! VALUE! FUN! COMFORT! STYLE AND MPG!!" Tech Package with HD Radio & upgraded navigation with Entune features!! GET the BLIND SPOT MONITOR!! Love the ride and drive and feel compared to other Hybrids I drove (Hyundai, Kia, Ford Fusion,& Volt). Upgraded throughout...Like getting married...You must see, Touch & FEEL it :) Quality & Very Quiet over the others!!

Suggested Improvements

Extend the center console even further for more arm comfort. This is likely the ONLY NEW CAR without the TURN signas on the outside of the mirrors??? Even the Prius C has them? It is huge safety PLUS and curbs accidents. The Camry XLE for 35K should have them dont you think?

HYBRID ALL THE WAY!
By danq3

First time hybrid buyer, just got 2012 camry hybrid xle w/ full option minus blind spot monitor & hdd navi. This car demonstrates toyota is the undisputed king of Hybrid. Zippiest hybrid ever & you'll never be dissapointed for lacking in power. Cruising 50-60 & need to take over a car... it will respond like it has a rocket booster, you'll literally feel the boost & it's a blast. It has a exceptionally refined exterior and interior however the seat are super firm esp. with leather so your butt may feel bit soar after a long ride but because the cabin is so comfortable otherwise minor discomfor w/ soar bum is easily forgotten. All important real world Mpg is 37 city 42 hwy so far...

Favorite Features

Too many to mention but I'll just menttion two. 1) 200 HP Engine / Motor Combo. 2) Whisper quiet interior without any noticeable shuttering when automatically switching back & forth from gas to electric.

Suggested Improvements

Plushier material in the seats would be nice. Leather pkg seats are too firm on the butt and numbness sets in after about a hour drive.

Best Hybrid I have ever owned or driven!
By djmontierth

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been driving Hybrids since 2004. I owned a Prius, and Insight. I have driven the Fusion and was seriously considering the new Fusion to come ... someday... I have driven the Volt and the techno wizardry is way cool but the numbers and economy for my long commute don't make sense. I drove the Priuc C and it is cool and efficient to be sure.. Easily averaged 57mpg but it seemed small like my Honda Insight. I drove the 3rd Gen Prius and thought it a major improvement over my 2nd Gen in ride and economy. Then I drove the Camery and practiced my hyper-milage skills I learned just to see what I could do around town. I got 63 in town and 53 on the hwy. Driving normal I got 47 mpg

Favorite Features

Power of the electric motor. The 199 hp motor is the selling point to this car. The acceleration is amazing and the regeneration is even better. The big motor/generator allows you to break so much harder and not waste the energy with the break pads. I am amazed at how quiet the car is even under hard acceleration. I also like that it does not have all the distracting gadgetry. The breaking is very linear compared to every other hybrid I have driven.

Suggested Improvements

I have notices that you can break lightly and the cruse control will sometimes still be engaged. It concerned me at first but have gotten use to it.