Used 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Poor front bumper and light structure
By sunny12

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Poor front bumper and light structure. Just made scratch the garage door, the bumper and absorber falled down, both left and right lights have to be replaced.

Chose XLE Hybrid over Fusion Hybrid
By moviefan

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was researching new cars for many months; primarily the new Fusion hybrid. I was at a dealership all ready to order the titanium hybrid and for some reason they couldn't get in the order banks. So I left, ready to return in a few days. Not sure what made me have a change of heart, but I started looking at the Camry hybrids. So I took one for a test drive (I rented one back in June for a vacation and liked it) but I don't remember it being this comfortable. The Fusion was gorgeous, but the cabin was too confining. The Camry just felt all-around much better. So at the end of the day I bought a fully loaded brand new XLE for over $4000 less than sticker with 0.9% and I couldn't be happier!

Favorite Features

Love the way it handles, comfortable ride, great field of view, excellent touch screen and radio. Love the suede/leather combo seats. You get the comfort of leather without the entire seat being leather and all the discomforts that come with it (hot and sticky in summer). Great styling too. Not as sexy as the Fusion, but I love it none-the-less. The Fusion's side pillars are very thick and the windshield kinda slopes down making the cabin feel somewhat tight and confining. The Camry has a much more open feel. I love it. I was also lucky enough to have my dealer switch the tires for me from the Bridgestone Turanza that came on it to the Michelin MXV4's!

Suggested Improvements

Need to fix the sunglass compartment. Sunglasses do not fit well in there. Also need to have the tray on the top part of the armrest. I have an 04 Camry that has it and I have no idea why or when Toyota stopped putting it on there but they need to at least offer an option or aftermarket tray. Moonroof sliding plastic door is very cheap and it feels like a cheap paper plate. No sturdiness whatsoever.

Boring and Overpriced
By oildrip

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Where do you start with this strange car. The trunk is taken up with the battery so I'm not sure why they bothered with the tiny opening from one rear seat that is capable of folding down, I guess a broom handle can fit through there. Very little trunk space, a few suitcases and it's full. The cloth seats are cheap and not very supportive, the leather are much better. The interior screams cheap, the navigation has a very poor resolution display. The winning noise as you slow down drives you crazy in city driving. I find the start and stoping of the engine also very anoying and very noticable in this car.

Favorite Features

I guess the only thing going for this car is the high mileage and the instruments that are more normal and mostly intuitive.

Suggested Improvements

Hybrids are not something I care for and I don't think they will be around that long. They very well might satisfy a small segment of the market but diesel cars that you find all over Europe are so superior and get similar mileage to hybrids and perform better. Ask a mechanic. Maybe Toyota can introduce a diesel version but after looking at there product line they I wouldn't buy much from them.

Love my Camry
By striner23

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'v had my Camry since Feb 1012. I have 11,000 miles on it. I traded in my 2010 Prius for this car. I like my Prius but my Camry is so much more car. My wife has back pain and has a hard time riding in any car as she feels every bump. She has really notice the ride in the Camry to be more comfortable then any other car she has rode in. I was getting 42 mpg mixed driving all summer. Now that winter grade gas is out my mpg is 38 mixed driving. I warm the car for 15 min's before driving. This is the same consistency I was getting with my Prius. Winter grade gas has a higher vapor pressure to help your car start in cold climates. This also will cause you to get 2 to 4 mpg less.

Favorite Features

I like everything about the Camry Hybrid. My next one will have some more options I didn't get on this one. You can't beat the price that's for sure.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

First impressions
By stephenupton

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Second time around Camry Hybrid owner, did over 60k miles in my 2010 all trouble free but was suffering a boredom attack so wanted to try the 2012 model, pretty much the same except for the little EVO button, press it in and be ready for some fun, even will give the V6 a run for its money and still do 40 MPG

Favorite Features

MPG gauge