Used 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Improved over prior model, but problem details
By Peter Dixon

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

All in all a solid reliable car. My second Camry, I and also have had two Priuses, so I'm quite lfamiliar with Toyota's hybrid drivetrain. Averages 36 mpg. 120,000 miles, mechanically trouble free, replaced tires, otherwise just routine service. Trouble spots: BUMPER--side edges of front bumper have repeatedly popped out, ( breaking at their attachment tabs), dealer unwilling to fix as a warranty item. I finally got a body shop to glue them in place a few months ago and so far they've stayed put. CONTROLS-Heating and air controls are small and hard to operate ( especially fan switch and air direction switch). SEAT MATERIAL-Although I have top of line XLE with leather and ultra suede seats, the ultra suede cloth has worn poorly, gotten dirty, is hard to clean, and now makes the interior look shabby and cheap. No rough or dirty treatment of interior on my part. NOISE--heavy acceleration creates a lot of engine noise. DEALER MAINTENANCE COSTS- Dealer service costs are high. For example, for the 120,000 service they quoted $700 but I had it done at reputable non-Toyota shop for $200.

Our second Camry Hybrid
By 2000kdriver55

With about 10,000 miles under our belt and this being our second Camry hybrid I would say this is a great car. Our 2008 Camry Hybrid got about 36 mpg over all and this 2012 gets about 41. My best tank so far has been 43 mpg mixed, with about half of that being 75-80 mph highway driving. As before we have noticed that very cold or hot weather reduces the mileage greatly. I think the interior is well designed and the seats very comfortable. I would however like to have my full leather seats back as I don't care for the cloth panel seats as much. Love that the trunk space is so much greater than the 08 model.

This cars greatest feature is the excellent gas mileage. It is comfortable and the ride and handling is very good.

A few things that I would change are: Go back to the solid leather seats Move the ECO and EV mode buttons Install better sound deadening Change the Nav input routine

Chose XLE Hybrid over Fusion Hybrid
By moviefan

I was researching new cars for many months; primarily the new Fusion hybrid. I was at a dealership all ready to order the titanium hybrid and for some reason they couldn't get in the order banks. So I left, ready to return in a few days. Not sure what made me have a change of heart, but I started looking at the Camry hybrids. So I took one for a test drive (I rented one back in June for a vacation and liked it) but I don't remember it being this comfortable. The Fusion was gorgeous, but the cabin was too confining. The Camry just felt all-around much better. So at the end of the day I bought a fully loaded brand new XLE for over $4000 less than sticker with 0.9% and I couldn't be happier!

Love the way it handles, comfortable ride, great field of view, excellent touch screen and radio. Love the suede/leather combo seats. You get the comfort of leather without the entire seat being leather and all the discomforts that come with it (hot and sticky in summer). Great styling too. Not as sexy as the Fusion, but I love it none-the-less. The Fusion's side pillars are very thick and the windshield kinda slopes down making the cabin feel somewhat tight and confining. The Camry has a much more open feel. I love it. I was also lucky enough to have my dealer switch the tires for me from the Bridgestone Turanza that came on it to the Michelin MXV4's!

Need to fix the sunglass compartment. Sunglasses do not fit well in there. Also need to have the tray on the top part of the armrest. I have an 04 Camry that has it and I have no idea why or when Toyota stopped putting it on there but they need to at least offer an option or aftermarket tray. Moonroof sliding plastic door is very cheap and it feels like a cheap paper plate. No sturdiness whatsoever.

Boring and Overpriced
By oildrip

Where do you start with this strange car. The trunk is taken up with the battery so I'm not sure why they bothered with the tiny opening from one rear seat that is capable of folding down, I guess a broom handle can fit through there. Very little trunk space, a few suitcases and it's full. The cloth seats are cheap and not very supportive, the leather are much better. The interior screams cheap, the navigation has a very poor resolution display. The winning noise as you slow down drives you crazy in city driving. I find the start and stoping of the engine also very anoying and very noticable in this car.

I guess the only thing going for this car is the high mileage and the instruments that are more normal and mostly intuitive.

Hybrids are not something I care for and I don't think they will be around that long. They very well might satisfy a small segment of the market but diesel cars that you find all over Europe are so superior and get similar mileage to hybrids and perform better. Ask a mechanic. Maybe Toyota can introduce a diesel version but after looking at there product line they I wouldn't buy much from them.

Love my Camry
By striner23

I'v had my Camry since Feb 1012. I have 11,000 miles on it. I traded in my 2010 Prius for this car. I like my Prius but my Camry is so much more car. My wife has back pain and has a hard time riding in any car as she feels every bump. She has really notice the ride in the Camry to be more comfortable then any other car she has rode in. I was getting 42 mpg mixed driving all summer. Now that winter grade gas is out my mpg is 38 mixed driving. I warm the car for 15 min's before driving. This is the same consistency I was getting with my Prius. Winter grade gas has a higher vapor pressure to help your car start in cold climates. This also will cause you to get 2 to 4 mpg less.

I like everything about the Camry Hybrid. My next one will have some more options I didn't get on this one. You can't beat the price that's for sure.

Nothing