Used 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Perfect Second Car
By Ronald Wessel

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is ideal for 'running around' - economical, reliable, comfortable enough, quiet, easy to drive, etc.

Been 3 years
By doug

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm getting ready to do the 36 month sched maint (22,000 mi) and wanted to give my opinion on this car, bought it new.

Pros; comfortable on long trips, lots of power, haven't spent a dime on it

Cons; wind noise ft passenger side, mileage was 40 when new-last tank was 35, wish the trunk was larger, A/C smells moldy/musty sometimes

Surprising performance
By Dan B

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

During my test drive, we headed up a hill almost too steep for most cars. I could not tell we were inclined at all with no reduction in acceleration or increase in gas. I am constantly amased at the gas mileage and performance.

I did need to learn more about this car than the 2010 Camry Hybrid. The engine programming is different. The dead stop take off is different - don't floor it.

Air conditioning is special with no tie-in to the engine, no engine response to engaging the air.

The most enjoyable feature is the transmission braking. In stop and go driving, my foot hardly ever leaves the accelerator, let up and it slows down. No more use of gas sitting in stopped traffic.

Special purpose or benefit: I use the battery for 12 volts while camping. With the car close by, but out of monoxide poisoning range, I run the hybrid system to provide power for days on less than a gallon gas. I don't expect others to camp with the car, but it does some things others just can't.

While camping, I took the car up a very pot-holed, wash-boarded road in gravel raising 5,500 feet in 10 miles. When I got to the top I found two 80 year old ladies in an identical car. They beat me to the bottom of the mountain.

Still no rattles.

Your mileage may vary
By hybrid34

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We paid the premium for the hybrid because we keep our cars a long time and if we were going to get mileage close to the EPA estimate we would make up the difference in about 5 years. Now that we have driven it about a year we are getting on average 34 MPG Nowhere near where we expected.
Our diving has mostly been city driving and when we do get it on the highway we get above 40 MPG. We took it back a couple of times to the dealer, they said there is noting wrong and when I called Toyota they said that 34 MPG was within what we could expect and does not indicate a problem.

Smart key is great, just get close and it unlocks the door our if you stand next to the trunk you can unlock it. I like the interior layout and look.

Miss my 2012 Hybrid
By camrygirl2

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Kept the car up until 12,000 miles. I regret getting rid of it. I was averaging around 40-45 mpg. The most I averaged was 63 mpg! This car is very stylish, comfortable & great on gas. Very quiet, nice & smooth; however, it almost sounds like a spaceship. It has plenty of power. I felt confident driving in California while merging on to freeways/highways. It had more power than my 2005 Camry LE. The interior is nice & plenty of room. Some plastic parts seem a bit cheap. The only thing I worried about was how long the hybrid battery would last & how much it would cost to replace it. Also once replaced would it cause other electrical components in the car to malfunction. This was a great car!

Gas mileage!!! Body style, interior, comfort. Smart key system.

For radio or CD the speakers sound great but once you use the AUX for mp3 player the sound is not so great, sounds low quality. Some of cheap feeling plastic material interior.