Used 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Ode to Almost Perfection
By Michael Rivas

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Perfect in almost every way except trunk size

Perfect Second Car
By Ronald Wessel

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is ideal for 'running around' - economical, reliable, comfortable enough, quiet, easy to drive, etc.

Been 3 years
By doug

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm getting ready to do the 36 month sched maint (22,000 mi) and wanted to give my opinion on this car, bought it new.

Pros; comfortable on long trips, lots of power, haven't spent a dime on it

Cons; wind noise ft passenger side, mileage was 40 when new-last tank was 35, wish the trunk was larger, A/C smells moldy/musty sometimes

Surprising performance
By Dan B

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

During my test drive, we headed up a hill almost too steep for most cars. I could not tell we were inclined at all with no reduction in acceleration or increase in gas. I am constantly amased at the gas mileage and performance.

I did need to learn more about this car than the 2010 Camry Hybrid. The engine programming is different. The dead stop take off is different - don't floor it.

Air conditioning is special with no tie-in to the engine, no engine response to engaging the air.

The most enjoyable feature is the transmission braking. In stop and go driving, my foot hardly ever leaves the accelerator, let up and it slows down. No more use of gas sitting in stopped traffic.

Special purpose or benefit: I use the battery for 12 volts while camping. With the car close by, but out of monoxide poisoning range, I run the hybrid system to provide power for days on less than a gallon gas. I don't expect others to camp with the car, but it does some things others just can't.

While camping, I took the car up a very pot-holed, wash-boarded road in gravel raising 5,500 feet in 10 miles. When I got to the top I found two 80 year old ladies in an identical car. They beat me to the bottom of the mountain.

Still no rattles.

Improved over prior model, but problem details
By Peter Dixon

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Initial review:

All in all a solid reliable car. My second Camry, I and also have had two Priuses, so I'm quite lfamiliar with Toyota's hybrid drivetrain. Averages 36 mpg. 120,000 miles, mechanically trouble free, replaced tires, otherwise just routine service.

Trouble spots:

BUMPER--side edges of front bumper have repeatedly popped out, ( breaking at their attachment tabs), dealer unwilling to fix as a warranty item. I finally got a body shop to glue them in place a few months ago and so far they've stayed put.

CONTROLS-Heating and air controls are small and hard to operate ( especially fan switch and air direction switch).

SEAT MATERIAL-Although I have top of line XLE with leather and ultra suede seats, the ultra suede cloth has worn poorly, gotten dirty, is hard to clean, and now makes the interior look shabby and cheap. No rough or dirty treatment of interior on my part.

NOISE--heavy acceleration creates a lot of engine noise.

DEALER MAINTENANCE COSTS- Dealer service costs are high. For example, for the 120,000 service they quoted $700 but I had it done at reputable non-Toyota shop for $200.

2016 UPDATE: now with 140,000 miles and no trouble--two sets of tires, one horn and one headlight, had a body shop fix front bumper by gluing it back in place, but no other maintenance needed, not even brakes or spark plugs. MPG a little less than at start, now about 35 combined. Never had a more trouble-free car, despite the minor design flaws mentioned in the first review.