2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (147 reviews )
I heart my TCH even tho I didnt want to
By cocogirl on 10/16/08 20:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was determined to hate this car but felt its necessity. I've debated hybrids 4 years but was disappointed in lack of creature comforts (sunroof) & styling. I thought I wanted another luxury car (I had a Infiniti G35) but live in Hawaii where gas got 2 be $5/g premium & I couldn't justify working to drive a symbol. The first day I hated it (it seemed like a mom car & I am so the opposite) & gas mileage was awful (<20 mpg). I cried & thought I made an expensive mistake. I gave it a week & actually fell hard for it. It's smooth, spacious, luxurious, zippy & a convo starter. I avg 37.2 - 99.9/tank (yup 99, downhill).

Double Miles & Savings at Pump!
By VanSteve on 10/03/08 13:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After waiting nearly 3 months (back ordered) for my new Camry Hybrid, I'm now a proud owner of a 2009 TCH. I traded in my 2002 Mercedes Benz S430 which was only averaging 21-23 MPG with a 20.5 gallon tank running on premium gas. Thus far my first week of owning this vehicle, I'm averaging 43 MPG with a mix of city/highway driving during rush hour traffic with normal driving. Hands down, the Camry Hybrid has a very attractive design, good quality, pick-up and excellent consumer ratings. I can't wait to go on some long road-trips and really break the vehicle in; who knows, maybe I can top 50 MPG... lol GOOD JOB Toyota!

Liking the 2009 Camry Red Hybrid
By Ronbo on 10/02/08 12:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I looked at this website before ordering a Camry Hybrid. I only have a little over 400 miles on it but am averaging 41.5 mpg so far, mostly mixed country and city driving. In the city I learned to bring it up to speed after stopping for lights, then back off on the gas and it stays in electric mode much of the time up to about about 43 mph. I have a stretch of flat county road 55 mph that I take to town and back and it stays at 50 mpg or just under on that stretch. Fun to drive and sure won't have to worry about speeding trying to get the best mileage out of it.

Lexus/Shmexus
By DocDzl on 09/25/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The TCH made me overcome my fears and doubts about Toyota dealers and my desire to get a small BMW, Volvo, Infiniti or non-hybrid Lexus. Exceptional features, mpg, build quality, all for thousands (in some cases--many thousands)less. Not a Bimmer, but enjoyable to drive, particularly with the standard traction/stability control.

Worth the Wait
By Mvince on 09/18/08 08:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Car is extremely quiet and offers a good ride, and has enough juice when you need it. Averaging low 30s on mileage, as expected. Nice to move to regular gas from premium on my old car as well. Trunk is small, as others have noted, but generally enough for what I haul around. Am sure I'll be just as happy with this purchase a few years down the road as I am now.

Can't get any better than this!
By Beacon on 09/14/08 15:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my Camry hybrid for a month now, with 2000 mi on it. I waited to submit a review to make sure of my opinion. This car is so much better than my Highlander! Whoever planned the interior of that car must have been asleep. This car on the other hand is just about perfect inside. Very well planned, very comfortable. It took me just one day to get used to the little quirks of the hybrid. When starting from a stand still there is a little vibration from the gas engine starting up. I don't even notice it now. I'm consistently getting between 36 and 42 MPG without even trying. Not bad for a large luxury car. One of the best cars I have ever owned.

Love My Toyota Camry Hybrid!
By Julia S on 09/09/08 16:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am very happy with my car! Averaged 42 mpg on a trip to Seattle. Currently at 37 mpg around town. I was driving a Lincoln Continental, so size wise it was a big change. I hardly miss the big car now! Highly recommend this car. I read reviews here before my purchase.

I never thought I'd buy a hybrid until
By nu2grn on 08/30/08 13:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I saw her, a black/bisque leather TCH beauty amidst a sea of new dealership arrivals. I was considering the Prius, but just couldn't hang with the "egg with suspenders" look. After one look and drive of the TCH, I was totally enthralled. The technology is just mind-boggling! I have much to learn about the science (and art) of the hypermile, but so far I am grinning ear to ear each time I get behind the wheel of this gem. Comfortable, smooth and quiet ride, geek-numbing techno gadgets (Bluetooth, nav, way-cool energy monitoring capability, audiophile JBL system,etc.), legendary Toyota reliability and fit/finish. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this outstanding vehicle!

worth the wait
By D Goren on 08/25/08 19:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Before considering the TCH, I read every review on this site, as well as comments in the forums. The overwhelming positive responsive combined with my initial test drive sold me. I've only had the car for 2 weeks, but absolutely love it. It has plenty of power, is extremely quiet (even running on gasoline), and has lots of cool features (nav, JBL stereo, iPod connection, etc.). So far I'm getting about 38 MPG without even trying.

I love this car, I hate Big-brother
By Dave Joyce on 07/31/08 21:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The choice between the Camry Hybrid and all of the other hybrids (Civic, Altama, Prius, etc..) was a simple one. The Camry is very comfortable and well built. As with any Hybrid it does have trade offs. The trunk is 5 cubic feet smaller than the standard Camry, and the fold-down seats pass-through is somewhat of a joke. You may be able to fit a set of skies through it, though the odds are they would be in a sky rack. My only complaint about this car is the navigation system. I feel that Toyota is trying to play big brother by preventing you or your passenger from using the system while the car is moving. If you need to enter an address you will need to come to a complete stop first.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan in VA is:

$118 per month*