Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (147 reviews )

My first Camry Hybrid
By TCH_Driver

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for 3 months. This car is reliable. The navigation is great. It has a spacious interior. I routinely get 38+ MPG with this car. Trunk space is limited compared to a regular Camry due to all the batteries, but I don't mind. The engine is underpowered compared to a regular Camry, but this is normal for a hybrid car. If you understand the limitations of this hybrid, you will be happy with it. I love the low fuel consumption and the infrequent trips to the gas station.

Favorite Features

Low fuel consumption. Spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is cheaply built. I had to remove the driver's side overhead handle because it was making too much rattling noise. Currently the driver's side vent makes annoying rattling noises during normal driving. This is very distracting. I really wish Toyota could build a comfortable car.

Dangers of Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
By Fred

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In the daylight, it works like an ordinary mirror, but at nighttime it works like a strobe. In city driving each time you pass a lit sign it decides whether to darken or stay in daytime mode. There's a lag time in its transformation, resulting in blinding light reflecting in your eyes when you pass a sign, followed by the mirror darkening, then going back to daytime mode just in time for the next lit sign, thus blinding you again. On the highway, when a car is directly behind you the mirror stays in the nighttime mode, when that car changes lanes the mirror switches to daytime mode and you're blinded by the next car until it gets close enough to activate the nighttime mode.

Favorite Features

Steering control radio volume (because radio control sporadically doesn't work).

Suggested Improvements

A way to lock the rearview mirror on nighttime mode. A way to turn the smart key off and have a regular key. The manual says only the dealer can turn the smart key off, but the dealer doesn't know how. The dealer and the manual shouldn't give conflicting advice about required maintenance.

First Hybrid, Second Camry
By Dianne

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have now driven this vehicle for approximately 10,000 miles. I bought it with all the amenities. The leather interior is top notch. It comfortably seats 4 adults. Not being a techno geek, the blue tooth was easy to set up and is crystal clear. Trunk space is small by Toyota standards, but roomy by other maker standards. The ride is smooth and quiet. Gas mileage great. Sound system and GPS are fabulous. ONE ANNOYING PROBLEM: the gas cap loosens itself and causes the check engine light to engage. I do not top off and carefully make sure the gas cap is tightly closed, but it somehow loosens! When I tighten the cap, the light will eventually turn off. Seems related to air pressure in the tank.

Favorite Features

It feels like a solid, well designed car. The features are very user friendly and can be pretty much figured out without even reading the manual (but the manual helps). I expected poor acceleration, a complaint a friend had about his Honda, but was pleasantly surprised otherwise. Brakes are superior.

Suggested Improvements

The gas cap loosening causing the engine check light to come on definitely needs to be addressed. Otherwise, I love this vehicle.

Love my Camry Hybrid
By Estela Prieto

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love everything about my Camry Hybrid, so far the only issue has been the "check engine" light, but that was also an issue on 2002 Camry XLE and the trunk is too small, maybe can be improved in the future.

Favorite Features

I love the GPS.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk space too small.

My first Toyota / First hybrid /
By ramzk

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had my new Camry hybrid for three weeks now and absolutely love it. I have driven a Lexus LS 400 for the past 14 years. The fit and finish is excellent on this car and I really like the hybrid system. I have ran two tanks of gas so far and have averaged 38 mpg overall in mixed city and highway driving in Atlanta. It is amazing how often you can run strictly on the battery or a mix of very little foot on the gas and battery to increase your mpg. As you pull up to every light or slow way down the engine shuts off and the car is totally quiet. A small touch to the accelerator the engine fires up seamlessly and off you go. The car is extremely comfortable.

Favorite Features

Navigation with Bluetooth is awesome and was really easy to set up. Really like making and receiving calls through the navi system and sound quality is incredible. JBL sound system sounds great. Leather seats are very comfortable. The silver with dark tinted windows look awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Memory seats. USB hook up for ipod.