Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (149 reviews )

Our first Hybrid
By tdb

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased the car at the end of March. Most of our driving is in the Minneapolis metro area. No trips over 100 miles one way. We like the car a lot and are happy with the purchase. It's an enjoyable car to drive if you like quiet and good handling. We're averaging 38-40 mpg per tank. We too have had the Check Engine light issue concerning the gas cap. (4 times in 7400 miles.) This past Wednesday night our dealership told us that Toyota will be coming out soon with a Tech Service Bulletin. The gas tank neck is faulty and has to be replaced. Ours is scheduled for next week. Supposedly with a new, improved one.

Roomy interior with leg room for rear passengers; very quiet drive train AND we have no squeaks or rattles; JBL stereo system with IPOD hookup; keyless starting

A larger trunk would be nice but not if it takes space from the interior. Fix my gas cap issue and I'm very happy with the car.

Incredible savings
By Heff

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded my second Cadillac CTS for the Camry Hybrid. I was worried about what I considered to be a huge step down for the sake of fuel efficiency. I was wrong. It's not a race car, but the Hybrid is still an exceptional ride. The Hybrid shifts flawlessly between the electric and gas engines with greater smoothness than most transmissions. To hedge my bet, I had every available option included in my Camry. Wow! The fit and finish match my CTS stitch for stitch and the sound system is incredible. Best of all, I am buying LESS than half the gasoline I used in the CTS. Whatever the price is at the pump, I'm saving half. Buying this car is the right thing to do.

Fit and finish of the leather upholstery. Sound system is exceptional. Quiet ride of a much larger car.

Drip rails. When you open the doors any water on the car falls into the passenger compartment and onto the seats. Fold-down rear seat to extend trunk space for larger cargo.

My first Camry Hybrid
By TCH_Driver

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for 3 months. This car is reliable. The navigation is great. It has a spacious interior. I routinely get 38+ MPG with this car. Trunk space is limited compared to a regular Camry due to all the batteries, but I don't mind. The engine is underpowered compared to a regular Camry, but this is normal for a hybrid car. If you understand the limitations of this hybrid, you will be happy with it. I love the low fuel consumption and the infrequent trips to the gas station.

Low fuel consumption. Spacious interior.

The interior is cheaply built. I had to remove the driver's side overhead handle because it was making too much rattling noise. Currently the driver's side vent makes annoying rattling noises during normal driving. This is very distracting. I really wish Toyota could build a comfortable car.

Dangers of Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
By Fred

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In the daylight, it works like an ordinary mirror, but at nighttime it works like a strobe. In city driving each time you pass a lit sign it decides whether to darken or stay in daytime mode. There's a lag time in its transformation, resulting in blinding light reflecting in your eyes when you pass a sign, followed by the mirror darkening, then going back to daytime mode just in time for the next lit sign, thus blinding you again. On the highway, when a car is directly behind you the mirror stays in the nighttime mode, when that car changes lanes the mirror switches to daytime mode and you're blinded by the next car until it gets close enough to activate the nighttime mode.

Steering control radio volume (because radio control sporadically doesn't work).

A way to lock the rearview mirror on nighttime mode. A way to turn the smart key off and have a regular key. The manual says only the dealer can turn the smart key off, but the dealer doesn't know how. The dealer and the manual shouldn't give conflicting advice about required maintenance.

First Hybrid, Second Camry
By Dianne

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have now driven this vehicle for approximately 10,000 miles. I bought it with all the amenities. The leather interior is top notch. It comfortably seats 4 adults. Not being a techno geek, the blue tooth was easy to set up and is crystal clear. Trunk space is small by Toyota standards, but roomy by other maker standards. The ride is smooth and quiet. Gas mileage great. Sound system and GPS are fabulous. ONE ANNOYING PROBLEM: the gas cap loosens itself and causes the check engine light to engage. I do not top off and carefully make sure the gas cap is tightly closed, but it somehow loosens! When I tighten the cap, the light will eventually turn off. Seems related to air pressure in the tank.

It feels like a solid, well designed car. The features are very user friendly and can be pretty much figured out without even reading the manual (but the manual helps). I expected poor acceleration, a complaint a friend had about his Honda, but was pleasantly surprised otherwise. Brakes are superior.

The gas cap loosening causing the engine check light to come on definitely needs to be addressed. Otherwise, I love this vehicle.