2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (147 reviews )
7000 Mile Report
By DJS on 01/02/09 17:10 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Since early October have put 7000 miles, including 4500 miles on a trip from CA to TX, on the car. Comfortable drive after 8 plus hours going across West TX at 80-85 MPH. Gas mileage for the trip was 34 MPG, many of these miles at fairly high speed. I waited 3 months for the car in part to buy one that met our needs, that is, no sunroof, no leather, and the middle up-grade package. Acceleration is pretty darn good, handling very nice until you get into mountainous roads as we did in southern NM. Then you know you are not driving a BMW. But overall a technological marvel-usual Toyota quality build.

Still working on the gas mileage
By Retired in Illinois on 12/29/08 15:26 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We waited almost 4 months to get our TCH but haven't regretted the purchase (even though gas prices have come down since we ordered it). We had a Camry before this one and were always happy with Toyota. For a recent trip, we ended up buying two smaller suitcases as our two large ones wouldn't fit in the trunk. We aren't getting the gas mileage we had hoped and plan to take it back to the dealer to see what's going on. It seems like the gas engine comes on even when we are going slow, so it may need some adjustment. The lights above the visors shine down, not in your face, so you can use them at night without distracting the driver.

Excellent Value/Cannot be Disappointed
By David S. on 12/16/08 16:40 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Since buying the car in early October we have put about 6000 miles on it, including a 4500 mile trip from the Central Coast of California to South Padre Island, Texas and return. I kept careful records on the trip to Texas and my overall mileage was 33.8 mpg. Understand that many of these miles were at 75-85 mph across West Texas, AZ and NM. It is a great driver, long days on the interstate were comfortable. On a twisty two-lane mountain road in New Mexico it showed that it is not a BMW, but I knew that. The trunk is more than adequate carrying two carry-ons, a small duffle, and other items. This car is a technological marvel.

Why Doesn't Everyone Own One?
By Bill/Connecticut on 12/14/08 03:49 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My TCH (09) has 2K miles on it so it is somewhat broken in. It is an amazing car and I am very pleased with my choice. It was this or a Volvo S80, and the MPG won the day. Having now driven it for awhile I am amazed that the added weight helps with the smoothness of the ride. It reminds me of riding in a friend's Lexus ES350. The CVT took me a little time to get used to, but I am figuring it out that there is not upshift like a regular automatic transmission. Test drive one and see for yourself, this is the car of the future.

Technological Marvel
By Houston on 11/22/08 08:33 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Camry Hybrid is a technological marvel enabling more efficient, but safe and comfortable, transportation (reminds me of when CDs replaced records; the hybrid is an ingenious automotive development). The vehicle accelerates well with the combined electric and gas engine. The electric engine works to conserve fuel in all phases of driving (converts kinetic energy to electric). Trunk holds my golf clubs and more. The hybrid is the perfect urban car, thriving on stop-and-go traffic. It is quiet. Relaxed drive. Maintenance on the first 100K miles should be nothing but routine. Drives and looks like a Lexus ES 300, but costs much less. I got a lot of value.

Five Months In - Pretty Impressive
By Worcester County on 11/14/08 20:03 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got the base Hybrid in late July. Consistently 41-42 mpg in 40% hwy/60% local roads commuting in Central MA (lots of rolling hills). Now temperatures closer to freezing getting 39-40 mpg. Still beating the pants off the EPA estimate! Highly recommend this. Why get a Prius and be cramped (unless you want 50 mpg)? Car does three things: gives gas engine little holidays including stopped time and initial take-offs (the most inefficient for the gas), doesn't waste momentum- recovers the energy from braking to power the hybrid motor, and gives you all sorts of feedback on how to drive it most efficiently- kind of like playing a video game (though you can ignore it and just enjoy driving)

Yes, we are pleased
By SE TN TCH on 11/03/08 03:45 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were forced to purchase a vehicle after our Honda Ody van was rear-ended @ 60 MPH. With gas nearing $5/gal, we seriously began looking @ hybrids. No other mfr has developed the time and resources into hybrids. We found one owner who was nearing 200K on a Prius with no hybrid system related issues. Being involved in such an accident took the Prius out of consideration (no rear end/overhang). We found our "base" TCH. The first tank home was 41 MPG highway. But that is NOT where the TCH excels-we jumped from 17 MPG in mixed cycle driving in the van to 38 MPG!

TCH decision confirmed -again
By SE TN TCH on 10/31/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were not going to purchase a replacement for our '02 Honda Odyssey van for another 3 years, but it was totaled in a severe accident. We were on a 4 month wait list for a mid-optioned Prius. Due to size & crash-worthiness concerns with the Prius, we purchased a base '09 TCH. The first tank back home at 65 MPH was 41 MPG. In first 3K miles, we average 38 MPG in mixed cycle driving. This is an increase of 21 MPG over the van (17 MPG in same cycle).

Efficency with Utilitarian Style
By john on 10/29/08 17:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2009 Camry hybrid is my first Toyota. It drives like my old BMW 528i, and has decent acceleration but not mind blowing speed. The economics of having a hybrid are the selling point. If you think gas will hit 5 $/gallon and you drive a lot, then this is a car for you. The looks are those of a non snobby Camry, so you won't feel guilty like in a new Mercedes. It seems to me the workmanship is the same as a German car. I tried the Matrix and found that it was more flimsy, and not worth the price.

A good change from the E320
By BrainInDC on 10/18/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Camry hybrid is fun to drive in crowded DC metro area. Very practical. Nice change to regular gas filling up 13 gallons every 500 miles. I love it. Every now and then I miss the stability feeling of the E320, but I also enjoy the "sportiness" driving feeling of the Camry. I also enjoy the quietness and how smart this car is. It is full of gadgets and will be paying off over the years. Also I see from the maintenance manual that it's an almost maintenance free car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan in VA is:

$117 per month*