Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (148 reviews )

I will never buy another Toyota AGAIN!!!
By joshuacoombs

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car stinks!!! Had to replace the tires at 20k miles. Toyota said the tires are not them but bridgestone. Bridgestone said the tires have no warranty but tried to sell me new ones for $650. The car has been in the shop twice in less then two years. The brakes had to be fixed at 15k miles, the radio at 17k miles. I will never buy anther Toyota again! And I suggest you don't make the same mistake I did.

The mpg. I avg 36 to 40.

The whole car. It needs to run for more then 1 year before it starts to break down. A Ford can do that but not a Toyota.

Love Everything but the Engine Light
By JC48

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are thrilled w/ the Toyota Camry Hybrid. We consistently get over 37 mpg. It's quiet and once you get accustomed to what all the dials and buttons do, you just have to love it! I am very proud of the gas conservation I am able to attain. So, Thank You Toyota! I've been a Toyota owner for 30 years & I've always had great performance. The only problem I have is with the Engine Light. It keeps coming on and I notice the gas cap loosens up. I'm vigilant to tighten it when filling up, but it still seems to loosen. I'm concerned, and I appreciate seeing others are having a similar problem. I'll email my dealer today. Thanks everyone here for your info.

Bluetooth, garage door opener, great stereo. Engine shuts down when idle--feels so good to not be wasting gas energy. QUIET. Shows me what is going on with my engine and gas usage :-). You just have to love it.

Beverage holder is too close to Stick Shift and makes me wonder if a drip of coffee could get in there and damage it?

Just do it!
By Flyer

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is simply superb. I work in a vehicle-related field, and I have seen crash/wreck photos of Camrys - people walk away from wrecks because this car sacrifices itself to save its occupants. I was searching to replace my Jetta diesel (a maintenance intensive vehicle) but wanted to up-size from the Prius. The Camry hybrid is for those people who hate waste and love efficiency, like myself. I am a caregiver, and the Camry has enough space to allow people with disabilities the room to swing in and out of the vehicle easily (unlike the new Jetta TDI, which has a much smaller interior). My father, a solid diesel head, was sold on the Camry hybrid within thirty minutes. Simply impressive.

Fuel efficiency for a vehicle that weights 3700lbs is amazing. Crash results are impressive. This car lets you get on with life without having to worry about maintenance, reliability, safety. I love zooming up to 40mph, easing off the accelerator, and watching the mpg needle swing back to 60mpg!

Toyota needs to backlight the door switches - hard to find buttons at night. The trunk lid does not have a hand insert where you can insert your hand to close the lid - a minor annoyance. Be sure to read the manual - you will learn the nuances of systems in this car.

Amazing Fuel Economy
By D Kramer

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I needed a car with at least 30 MPG, but with style and some element of fun. I made a good choice and after almost 7000 miles, I'm averaging over 38 MPG. The trick to this exceptional mileage, almost all highway, is to use the cruise control. I am getting just over 600 miles out of each tank. Thank you, Toyota!

Fabulous MPG, placement and operation of navigation system, Bluetooth, interior and exterior styling, decent acceleration, good road manners, day-time running lights. Good cabin storage.

Driver's seat is not as comfortable as it should be. Center console/storage is set too far back to be a good arm rest. Needs electrochromatic driver side mirror. Some controls and vents require you to lean forward to access.

Our first Hybrid
By tdb

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased the car at the end of March. Most of our driving is in the Minneapolis metro area. No trips over 100 miles one way. We like the car a lot and are happy with the purchase. It's an enjoyable car to drive if you like quiet and good handling. We're averaging 38-40 mpg per tank. We too have had the Check Engine light issue concerning the gas cap. (4 times in 7400 miles.) This past Wednesday night our dealership told us that Toyota will be coming out soon with a Tech Service Bulletin. The gas tank neck is faulty and has to be replaced. Ours is scheduled for next week. Supposedly with a new, improved one.

Roomy interior with leg room for rear passengers; very quiet drive train AND we have no squeaks or rattles; JBL stereo system with IPOD hookup; keyless starting

A larger trunk would be nice but not if it takes space from the interior. Fix my gas cap issue and I'm very happy with the car.