2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (147 reviews )
This is my 2nd Camry Hybrid
By jools606 on 04/08/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just traded my 2007 Camry Hybrid for 2009 This is the first time that I have ever bought the same car twice and this is the 58th car that I have owned. I think that the build quality is excellent even better than the 2007 and it is quieter (maybe because the other one had plenty of miles on it). The Bluetooth works better on this one, too. The last one got 37 to 42 mpg and this seems to be about the same so I don't understand why one reviewer was getting 26- 28. I have several co-workers who have now bought either Prius or Camry Hybrids. Love this car.

Smooth running...
By hybrid09 on 04/04/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very smooth operation and extremely quiet. Exceeds my expectations, although the ride is a bit soft, as expected for a Toyota. Well-satisfied to this point. Heve the GPS which is a useful and enjoyable option. Car has plenty of power and is well-built.

Very happy
By Mike on 04/02/09 11:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I live in Minnesota and have had my Camry Hybrid during both a warm summer and a very cold snowy winter. I averaged 39-42 MPG during the summer and 28-34 MPG during the winter. One review from ORLY said he was only getting 26-28 MPG caused me to write this review. I can't even imagine how a person could get such low MPG numbers. I have the leather heated seats, they are very comfortable on a long drive. My only complaint is I get a faint noise through my drivers window when fully closed. The stereo with the bluetooth is fantastic both in sound and function. What ever gas prices are at the time the way I look at it I have cut the price of gas in half. This car has more room than my VolvoS80.

Another Great Camry
By CNJ #4 on 03/27/09 19:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my 5th Camry!!! 87,90,94,98,2009 I have put over 200k miles on each, kept at least for 9-10 years and still sold them for over $3k after that. Just replaced the 98 w 245k miles. This is unbelievable, great smooth ride, great mileage, ave 36-38. Lots of toys! I have had it 2 months and had no issues. This is a loaded w Nav, roof, leather etc... got a great deal $33k list paid $27,700! - darn right they are hurting bad to sell these cars below invoice. The kids love the Ipod plug, and video.. the Push button start is the coolest! Anyway just to be safe I took the 100k 6 yr no deductible warranty... the salesman said these ware made 100% in Japan...anyone know that to be true?

Excellent Car!!!!
By carol26 on 03/13/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our experience with this car has been nothing but positive. We are military so we drive from Florida to Texas once a year(about 1,000 miles). On our trips(we've gone twice so far), we average about 40 MPG. Once we even got 42 MPG!!! The cabin is very quiet and I can actually speak in my normal voice! I love the bluetooth feature. Since we live on a military base, driving while on the phone is illegal and can cause us major trouble. I love how quiet it is at stop lights. I can hear myself think!! This car is reliable, and beautiful inside and out. I also love the 6 cd changer and the separate temperature control. We couldn't have made a better decision !

Update to my Aug 08 review
By onebeacon on 03/09/09 10:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After more than 6 months of driving my 09 TCH I still think it's one of the best cars I have ever owned. I was getting between 34-42 MPG when I first got it, but that was being easy on the gas peddle, now, with much more aggressive driving, I'm getting 28-34 MPG. Still impressive for a large car. I just found out my car ins. for the hybrid is HALF the cost of the Highlander I traded in!

Fully Meeting Expectations
By B Boswell on 03/04/09 09:45 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Replaced a 2005 Lexus ES330. Planning ahead for inevitable return to high fuel prices, now almost certain with Federal Government policies. Achieved an average of 37.7 miles to the gallon during the first 2 weeks and 500 miles of mixed driving and ownership. Ride and comfort compares very well with the Lexus. CVT transmission much smoother than the Lexus. Actually think the shape and comfort of the seats exceed the Lexus. Have learned how to utilize only the electric motors and battery at around 30 miles per hour on the flat streets in our community. Overall, very pleased with the car and am convinced that we made the right purchase decision. $1,000 incentive from Toyota also appreciated.

Great Car!!!!
By Becker on 03/01/09 21:37 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought a 2009 TCH in November 2008. Traded in our 2001 Honda Prelude so wanted a bigger sedan with 4 doors. We bought the complete package to include heated seats, navigation, and leather interior/moon roof. We now have 4K miles and really enjoy it. Hard to imagine that we can drive 500+ miles on one tank! Averaging 34-35 MPG city/freeway combine. Love the navigation system with built in blue tooth. The ride is so quite and handles well on the freeway. Only concern is a lag when engine switches to battery at certain speeds on freeway but all in all are very happy with this car. Were happy we bought it!!

Very poor MPG - poor cost/benefit
By ORLY on 02/03/09 10:56 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Coming up on 7th month of ownership. I bought the TCH when fuel prices were above $4/gal. and expected EPA estimated mileage. Whole family big Toyota fans; second and third generation Camry owners. Gas mileage on my MID hovers between 26-28 MPG tank avg combined city/hwy. Had diagnostic today and am being told by Toyota Dealership and Toyota Customer Service that "there is nothing wrong with my vehicle". Have read every tip, trick and blog about "driving the hybrid" for best mileage. This is NOT user error :) Hybrid cost/benefit NOT worth it for this kind of mileage

Best Car Yet
By Dean Snyder on 01/29/09 22:45 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having owned a Lexus ES 300 for a number of years my performance, comfort and over-all driveability expectation bar was set quite high. Our recently purchased upper mid equipped TCH has certainly exceeded my expectations in performance, comfort and fuel economy. The TCH cabin is quieter than my Lexus. Road handling is good on mountain roads and should be compared to a mid size family sedan. This car will not provide sports car handling and feedback you might find in a German car. I've also been quite impressed by the short distance and solid handling of car during a quick stop. It's clear Toyota is committed to building more fuel efficient cars without sacrificing performance and features.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid in VA is:

$117 per month*