Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (148 reviews )

Great vehicle
By Ron

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We went from a 98 Acura RL that we bought new to a 09 Camry Hybrid and went from Premium fuel at 22mpg to regular fuel and 36.2 mpg. even higher on the road. The Camry has been great with no complaints. Ride is smooth,power is ample and service is what you expect from a Camry. We are pleased and will probably add a 2nd Hybrid when we find what we want.

Favorite Features

Smooth big car ride,plenty of power,comfortable interior,great gas mileage and good looks outside

Suggested Improvements

automatic raising of drivers window

The absolute BEST car I've ever owned
By Lauren Perreault

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is so much fun to drive! I came off of a big SUV and it is so nice to maneuver this baby around. Easy to park, looks like it cost much more (people usually think it is a Lexus or Mercedes) and perfect for me, a Realtor, to take clients around in as it is comfortable for them to sit in the back seat and looks expensive enough that they don't think I'm not successful. Mileage is terrific -- 32 around town (LOTS of stop and go as you can imagine) and 44 hwy. I love the whine of the hybrid -- sounds so space age. The only thing to be careful of is that it is so quiet in reverse that people in parking lots don't realize your car is on and moving, so you have to watch out for them!

Favorite Features

SO MUCH STORAGE! There are so many little drawers, bins, nooks and crannies -- my very favorite is two little pickets along each side of the center part of the console -- perfect for my business cards that I have to leave at every house, and the other side has my partner's business cards.

Suggested Improvements

Add backup camera to the nav -- I had to add after market. Also make the voice controlled nav have an option to assume you are still in the same state unless you tell it otherwise -- it is annoying to always have to tell it the address you want is in California.

2009 Camry Hybrid
By Toyota Camry Hybrid

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car in July, 2009 over a Prius because I wanted a larger car. I love the mileage. I recently drove to Canada along I5 keeping to the speed limit and I got 41 MPG and 550 miles on a tank of gas. This is much better than the published highway mileage of 34 MPG. I quickly noticed a rattle caused by the dash console. Also the center console extends much too far into the back seat, so only a child can sit comfortably in the center seat. Toyota has acknowledged the driver's floor mat problem that seems to be the cause of accelerator sticking and potentially causing serious accidents. Yet Toyota still hasn't recalled it for repairs.

Favorite Features

mileage

Suggested Improvements

Need rear cup holders. Reduce the center console intrusion on rear seats. Quality has declined recently.

Awesome all around car!
By shannon

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just wanted to let everyone know what a wonderful car this has been so far. Very reliable and super smooth and comfortable Lexus like ride. Hell, this car is better b/c it is same parts, one third less price. Slow off the line but kicks in big time like a turbo, and throws you in the seat, really. The trick is to do a rolling start then this heavy granny getter rolls! Only problem so far has been gas cap loosening. No biggy, just return extra clicks and engine light will eventually go off. Stereo rocks. Upgraded with aftermarket hid's and foglights, that really made it Lexus like. Totally love this car for many years to come. 34 avg. mile per gallon. Thanks Toyota, love you! Always!

Favorite Features

Everything, mileage and power, spoiler and hid's really set it apart.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are kinda quirky, takes too much pressure to slow down a big heavy car like this. But do understand that is b/c of regenerative braking used to help get those awesome mpg's.

Excellent Car for the Environment
By nukenight

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought in Jan and traded Maxima SL for Hybrid. Great mileage, excellent ride, comfortable. Only complaint, want more luxury features. Mileage is dependent on season (AC cuts it down). Got 41 mpg on long trip to CA in August. Plenty of pep for passing and rides exceptionally well. Smooth transition from electric to gas and back. Almost luxury level interior. Wish for auto seat/mirror/steering adjust from Maxima, but other than that, my wife loves it, and she hates most cars!!!

Favorite Features

Auto sync bluetooth with my cell phone, good stereo, comfortable leather interior, remote start/keyless ignition.

Suggested Improvements

Maintenance reminders, auto seat/mirror/steering adjust controls, better interior materials, easier to clean cup holder.