Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (147 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Love It!
By Happy as a Clam

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I absolutely love this car. I realize that Toyota has taken a beating lately with recalls but I still feel it's one of the best cars on the road. Gas mileage is terrific - getting very close to 40 mpg average and this is checking it with a calculator not relying on the gauge. The interior is plush - I do however have a loaded model. Incidentally I disagree with the Edmunds' statement that an Altima has a nicer interior. I looked at them as well as the Ford Fusion and felt both had inferior interiors and neither Fords or the Altimas gas engine was as quiet as the Camry. It's quiet, solid very comfortable for long trips. I would heartily recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Calibrate the avg tank mileage indicator so it more accurately reflects true mileage - mine is about 1 1/2 to 2 miles optimistic.

50K and still going strong
By dkgoren

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 09 Camry Hybrid is approaching 3 years old and just hit 50K miles. The car has been extremely reiliable, with no mechanical failures and just doing basic maintance (oil changes every 5-7K, tire rotations, etc). I live in Maine, so in the winter, the mileage does drop to around 32, but in the summer, it can be as high as about 38 - that's not to say that I can't get above that for shorter amounts of time, but I've yet to have a full tank average more than about 39MPG......I'm still very happy with the mileage, especially with current gas prices.

Favorite Features

The JBL stereo, MP3 jack, steering wheel controls for audio and climate, bluetooth for phone, heated seats and the key fob.

Suggested Improvements

The OEM tires were aweful in the snow. I've since switched to aftermarket tires that have been much better, although before those I purchased snow tires w/ wheels.......if the original tires were even halfway decent in the snow, I probably wouldn't have needed the snows.......

Love It!
By bluebonnet

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I dearly love my hybrid '09 Camry. It had 9000 miles on it when I bought it and what fun to drive. It says I am getting 37.9 miles to the gallon. Wonderful comfort and pick up.

Favorite Features

wonderful mileage and gps

Update after 18 months
By Bill

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Currently i have about 32K miles after 18 months. The car averages between 36- 38, with 38 being the norm in warmer weather. Folks getting these lower mileage numbers perhaps need a few lessons on driving a hybrid. You glide, not stomp on the gas. Have noticed that the mileage is better when combined with around the town and highway mileage. Still a great car, despite the publicity with Toyota.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, leather, speaker sound and fabulous mileage for such a large car. Stability and traction control make it very nice in bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot get wood steering wheel or inserts, hopefully that will change. Add AWD as an option.

Excellent Car for the Environment
By nukenight

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought in Jan and traded Maxima SL for Hybrid. Great mileage, excellent ride, comfortable. Only complaint, want more luxury features. Mileage is dependent on season (AC cuts it down). Got 41 mpg on long trip to CA in August. Plenty of pep for passing and rides exceptionally well. Smooth transition from electric to gas and back. Almost luxury level interior. Wish for auto seat/mirror/steering adjust from Maxima, but other than that, my wife loves it, and she hates most cars!!!

Favorite Features

Auto sync bluetooth with my cell phone, good stereo, comfortable leather interior, remote start/keyless ignition.

Suggested Improvements

Maintenance reminders, auto seat/mirror/steering adjust controls, better interior materials, easier to clean cup holder.