2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (147 reviews )
The absolute BEST car I've ever owned
By Lauren Perreault on 01/08/10 16:52 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is so much fun to drive! I came off of a big SUV and it is so nice to maneuver this baby around. Easy to park, looks like it cost much more (people usually think it is a Lexus or Mercedes) and perfect for me, a Realtor, to take clients around in as it is comfortable for them to sit in the back seat and looks expensive enough that they don't think I'm not successful. Mileage is terrific -- 32 around town (LOTS of stop and go as you can imagine) and 44 hwy. I love the whine of the hybrid -- sounds so space age. The only thing to be careful of is that it is so quiet in reverse that people in parking lots don't realize your car is on and moving, so you have to watch out for them!

2009 Camry Hybrid
By Toyota Camry Hybrid on 12/31/09 09:42 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car in July, 2009 over a Prius because I wanted a larger car. I love the mileage. I recently drove to Canada along I5 keeping to the speed limit and I got 41 MPG and 550 miles on a tank of gas. This is much better than the published highway mileage of 34 MPG. I quickly noticed a rattle caused by the dash console. Also the center console extends much too far into the back seat, so only a child can sit comfortably in the center seat. Toyota has acknowledged the driver's floor mat problem that seems to be the cause of accelerator sticking and potentially causing serious accidents. Yet Toyota still hasn't recalled it for repairs.

Awesome all around car!
By shannon on 12/10/09 19:27 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just wanted to let everyone know what a wonderful car this has been so far. Very reliable and super smooth and comfortable Lexus like ride. Hell, this car is better b/c it is same parts, one third less price. Slow off the line but kicks in big time like a turbo, and throws you in the seat, really. The trick is to do a rolling start then this heavy granny getter rolls! Only problem so far has been gas cap loosening. No biggy, just return extra clicks and engine light will eventually go off. Stereo rocks. Upgraded with aftermarket hid's and foglights, that really made it Lexus like. Totally love this car for many years to come. 34 avg. mile per gallon. Thanks Toyota, love you! Always!

Excellent Car for the Environment
By nukenight on 11/18/09 13:23 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought in Jan and traded Maxima SL for Hybrid. Great mileage, excellent ride, comfortable. Only complaint, want more luxury features. Mileage is dependent on season (AC cuts it down). Got 41 mpg on long trip to CA in August. Plenty of pep for passing and rides exceptionally well. Smooth transition from electric to gas and back. Almost luxury level interior. Wish for auto seat/mirror/steering adjust from Maxima, but other than that, my wife loves it, and she hates most cars!!!

I will never buy another Toyota AGAIN!!!
By joshuacoombs on 10/28/09 09:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car stinks!!! Had to replace the tires at 20k miles. Toyota said the tires are not them but bridgestone. Bridgestone said the tires have no warranty but tried to sell me new ones for $650. The car has been in the shop twice in less then two years. The brakes had to be fixed at 15k miles, the radio at 17k miles. I will never buy anther Toyota again! And I suggest you don't make the same mistake I did.

Love Everything but the Engine Light
By JC48 on 10/04/09 06:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are thrilled w/ the Toyota Camry Hybrid. We consistently get over 37 mpg. It's quiet and once you get accustomed to what all the dials and buttons do, you just have to love it! I am very proud of the gas conservation I am able to attain. So, Thank You Toyota! I've been a Toyota owner for 30 years & I've always had great performance. The only problem I have is with the Engine Light. It keeps coming on and I notice the gas cap loosens up. I'm vigilant to tighten it when filling up, but it still seems to loosen. I'm concerned, and I appreciate seeing others are having a similar problem. I'll email my dealer today. Thanks everyone here for your info.

Just do it!
By Flyer on 09/28/09 05:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is simply superb. I work in a vehicle-related field, and I have seen crash/wreck photos of Camrys - people walk away from wrecks because this car sacrifices itself to save its occupants. I was searching to replace my Jetta diesel (a maintenance intensive vehicle) but wanted to up-size from the Prius. The Camry hybrid is for those people who hate waste and love efficiency, like myself. I am a caregiver, and the Camry has enough space to allow people with disabilities the room to swing in and out of the vehicle easily (unlike the new Jetta TDI, which has a much smaller interior). My father, a solid diesel head, was sold on the Camry hybrid within thirty minutes. Simply impressive.

Amazing Fuel Economy
By D Kramer on 09/22/09 20:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I needed a car with at least 30 MPG, but with style and some element of fun. I made a good choice and after almost 7000 miles, I'm averaging over 38 MPG. The trick to this exceptional mileage, almost all highway, is to use the cruise control. I am getting just over 600 miles out of each tank. Thank you, Toyota!

Our first Hybrid
By tdb on 09/18/09 22:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased the car at the end of March. Most of our driving is in the Minneapolis metro area. No trips over 100 miles one way. We like the car a lot and are happy with the purchase. It's an enjoyable car to drive if you like quiet and good handling. We're averaging 38-40 mpg per tank. We too have had the Check Engine light issue concerning the gas cap. (4 times in 7400 miles.) This past Wednesday night our dealership told us that Toyota will be coming out soon with a Tech Service Bulletin. The gas tank neck is faulty and has to be replaced. Ours is scheduled for next week. Supposedly with a new, improved one.

Incredible savings
By Heff on 09/02/09 12:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded my second Cadillac CTS for the Camry Hybrid. I was worried about what I considered to be a huge step down for the sake of fuel efficiency. I was wrong. It's not a race car, but the Hybrid is still an exceptional ride. The Hybrid shifts flawlessly between the electric and gas engines with greater smoothness than most transmissions. To hedge my bet, I had every available option included in my Camry. Wow! The fit and finish match my CTS stitch for stitch and the sound system is incredible. Best of all, I am buying LESS than half the gasoline I used in the CTS. Whatever the price is at the pump, I'm saving half. Buying this car is the right thing to do.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid in VA is:

$118 per month*