Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (148 reviews )

A plus!
By joe-Cr

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Extremely quiet. Fun to drive. If you drive right it will exceed suggested mileage per gallon (up to 46) Stylish Body and gorgeous appeal. Sorry Edmunds but Camry Hybrid is way better than your rate. It's not the same to drive for a couple of weeks or less than a full year, like me. I recommend to buy it.

Favorite Features

JBL monster radio with 6 CD Changer. Intelligent entrance. Buttons on wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Of course the cheap plastic dash and inner door covers. Toyota will have to find a better supplier.

Still Lovin' It
By Denise

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wrote a complimentary review of my Camry hybrid soon after buying it, but thought I should update for those who research to see how owners feel after the "honeymoon" period is over. I have had my Camry for nearly 2 years, 19,000 miles, and I can honestly say that it has exceeded my expectations. It handles well, even on ice and snow. Gas mileage ranges from 37 (cold weather) to 41 mpg. Quiet, comfortable, low maintenance. It's the car everyone in the family wants to drive. I have high standards and am tight with a dollar. I get in this car daily and think, "So glad this is mine!" Don't regret a penny of it. Good luck, folks. I hope you end up loving your car as much as I love mine.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, keyless entry, quiet and comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

Deeper cup holders. Front passenger seat belts are positioned so it's hard for my elderly parents to grab to pull down. I am hoping the RAV4 or another small SUV model will be made in a hybrid option when I am ready to replace this car.

Terrible car, do not get!
By ruthey

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for a little over a year. I got this car as my first car. I am currently 18, i got this car when i was 17. I was so excited to get a car and my dad told me i had to get this one. It worked ok for the first few months but slowly gone down hill. when the recalls came out, and they replaced the recalled items. that is when the problems had started beside from the air conditioner and heater. it smells like smoke when i turn it on, so i do not use it. it is loud and it takes off from me. i hate this car and i will never buy another Toyota and Toyota doesn't do anything and refuse to. I tried to get it as a lemon but since they'll take it not do anything, it cant go through as 1

Favorite Features

gps

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING. they need to redo the whole car

Love this car
By SalesMonkey

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a traveling sales person, I spend a lot of time in the car and I searched for a comfortable vehicle with excellent mileage - and integrated GPS! My Camry meets all the requirements. I routinely get 40 mpg on the highway and if I baby it, I can get the tank average to be 40+. Awesome. I am comfortable on long trips, the JBL audio system is great, and there is plenty of room for my 6'3" frame and passengers. This vehicle replaced a diesel VW and I was concerned it wouldn't match the mileage, but it has exceeded all of my expectations.

Favorite Features

Touch Screen Navigation, Silent electric propulsion, excellent sound insulation (compared to my VW!), comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

The BlueTooth system is useless - no one can hear me if it's connected. The microphone should be repositioned or upgraded.

Nu owner loving it
By nuowner

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a 2 weeks ago with 6,000 miles on it. High end vehicle. Loving it. 39+ mpg 650 mi first trip. Used cruise set at speed limit. Looks like 38+ in city driving so far. Easy to ease off and glide at 25-40 mph after well warmed on level or slight downhill. Disappointed in the lousy manuals, even the short one. Needs a GOOD manual for nav for a non-technical person like my wife. I have only begun to figure it out and have years of equipment and technical experience. Nav should have a "basic" mode for naive users like my wife. Horrible blue color bezel for the display panel! It looks nice in my gray interior - awful in others I saw.

Favorite Features

mpg and keyless feature.

Suggested Improvements

Basic mode for Navigation. Clear indication of keyless accessory only mode. Explanation of what passenger does if driver incapacitated and they are in the other seat. Does the electric steering lock if button pressed by passenger for 3 second shutdown? Larger trunk...body shell change?