2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (147 reviews )
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
By Hammerstein on 06/05/10 11:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Picked up a used (28500 miles) 2009 Camry hybrid for the size and mpg. Quickly learned the sweet spots (`35 mph) and (`72 mph) that results in incredible mileage. Feather the gas peddle and try to keep the car operating on battery power alone for as long as you can. I read most of the review on this site and agree with those who post excellent gas mileage. I drove a couple hundred miles and easily got close to 40 mpg! Ride is soft and comfortable and will be great for the family. It drives straight and has a lot of features that made this car the perfect choice for us. The car is certified and I purchased and extended warranty, so am very well protected.

Update after 18 months
By Bill on 04/17/10 16:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Currently i have about 32K miles after 18 months. The car averages between 36- 38, with 38 being the norm in warmer weather. Folks getting these lower mileage numbers perhaps need a few lessons on driving a hybrid. You glide, not stomp on the gas. Have noticed that the mileage is better when combined with around the town and highway mileage. Still a great car, despite the publicity with Toyota.

Another Happy Owner
By Deni on 04/16/10 22:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After 1 year & 10,000 miles, I'm still as happy with my Camry hybrid as the day I drove it off the lot! Hubby loves driving it, too. No problem navigating the snow-and-ice covered streets this winter. Accelerates easily. Smooth, comfortable ride. Plenty of room in back seat. MPG runs 38-39 all city, 40-42 interstate (70 mph). Had 6 weeks of extremely cold weather this winter & mileage dropped to 34-36 mpg--car did not turn off when idling as heater had to run non- stop! Ranked quality a "10" as my car's performance has been stellar to date--BUT--my gas pedal was recently refitted, per recall, & twice I've noticed there is a lapse between my acceleration & the response of the car. Scary...

Love It!
By Happy as a Clam on 04/14/10 13:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I absolutely love this car. I realize that Toyota has taken a beating lately with recalls but I still feel it's one of the best cars on the road. Gas mileage is terrific - getting very close to 40 mpg average and this is checking it with a calculator not relying on the gauge. The interior is plush - I do however have a loaded model. Incidentally I disagree with the Edmunds' statement that an Altima has a nicer interior. I looked at them as well as the Ford Fusion and felt both had inferior interiors and neither Fords or the Altimas gas engine was as quiet as the Camry. It's quiet, solid very comfortable for long trips. I would heartily recommend this car to anyone.

Love It!
By bluebonnet on 04/02/10 20:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I dearly love my hybrid '09 Camry. It had 9000 miles on it when I bought it and what fun to drive. It says I am getting 37.9 miles to the gallon. Wonderful comfort and pick up.

Just an average car
By ebisayako on 04/02/10 10:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Upon buying this car I was so impressed with the quality of the material, the fit and finish especially the quietness of the ride. Until this last few months when the doors start to rattle and the mpg is not great enough as a hybrid, average 30 mpg.

MPG - Gas Milleage and Horse Power
By Kevin Bui on 03/20/10 22:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am really disappointed by the gas mileage that I go for nearly a year, about 12,000 miles so far. I got about 28-30 miles/gal. Not sure because I live near a lot of mountain area; up and down hill; or short distance drive that caused the mileage couldn't be close to 34 or more. I took the car to the dealer and complaint about it but they ran diagnostic test and showed nothing wrong. Also, don't see a lot of horse power. Basically, me and my wife were driving like old lady style in order to see any improvement in gas mileage but it stay around 30 mile/gal or less. Not really happy at all.

Not To happy
By Lanenn on 02/25/10 17:24 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I did heavy research before I traded my 2004 Chevy Maxx. Read every report, drove some other cars,and this Camry Hybrid seemed to be the very best I could buy. Safe, good trade value, good mileage..maybe at 71 years old my last car. Now after almost 8 mos. I have been very sorry I purchased this car. Gas mileage not so great, better in summer then winter. Interior very plan,fun to drive, answer: no.Now with all the bad coming about Toyota, even if this Camry Hybrid is not on any recall..YET the value is sure to fall off. I should have stayed with Ford or Chevy. There all some other things about this Camry that are becoming more of a disappointment to me and my wife. The AC/heat control are poor.

Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!
By Shug on 02/07/10 08:41 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive 30,000 miles per year and LOVE this car. Traded a Lexus RX350 and hardly note a difference, except fuel economy! I get 43 MPG most of the time, worst has been 35MPG-WONDERFUL! Not included in any recalls so expect to hold value, too. Great pickup, passing power. Love to play the how many miles per tank game, getting up to 650 per tank full. Watching the MPG screen is like playing a video game-how high can you go and keep? LOVE It! I am driving much smarter now. Driving this much means I look for comfort and this is as good as my Lexus was. I can adjust seats Up, Dwn, forward and back and tilt. It's raining and I can look over at all those wet people and drive by for days!:)

Great vehicle
By Ron on 01/29/10 16:07 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We went from a 98 Acura RL that we bought new to a 09 Camry Hybrid and went from Premium fuel at 22mpg to regular fuel and 36.2 mpg. even higher on the road. The Camry has been great with no complaints. Ride is smooth,power is ample and service is what you expect from a Camry. We are pleased and will probably add a 2nd Hybrid when we find what we want.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid in VA is:

$117 per month*