Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (148 reviews )

A good change from the E320
By BrainInDC

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Camry hybrid is fun to drive in crowded DC metro area. Very practical. Nice change to regular gas filling up 13 gallons every 500 miles. I love it. Every now and then I miss the stability feeling of the E320, but I also enjoy the "sportiness" driving feeling of the Camry. I also enjoy the quietness and how smart this car is. It is full of gadgets and will be paying off over the years. Also I see from the maintenance manual that it's an almost maintenance free car.

The navigator is so smart, although I haven't figured out how to work it out through voice commands. But it is MUCH better than what I have on the Mercedes ML500. The AC is also great, although it is electric. But that's probably why its performance is independent from engine speed.

JBL audio is not that good. Not anywhere near the Mercedes Bose. Sound is flat. Also suspension gives me the feel of a very small light car. So, bottom line: audio and suspension are cheap.

I heart my TCH even tho I didnt want to
By cocogirl

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was determined to hate this car but felt its necessity. I've debated hybrids 4 years but was disappointed in lack of creature comforts (sunroof) & styling. I thought I wanted another luxury car (I had a Infiniti G35) but live in Hawaii where gas got 2 be $5/g premium & I couldn't justify working to drive a symbol. The first day I hated it (it seemed like a mom car & I am so the opposite) & gas mileage was awful (<20 mpg). I cried & thought I made an expensive mistake. I gave it a week & actually fell hard for it. It's smooth, spacious, luxurious, zippy & a convo starter. I avg 37.2 - 99.9/tank (yup 99, downhill).

I love JBL, cant believe it's better than Bose. Engine braking took a sec to master & use it more than the G's triptronic shifting. I love the quiet & I thought I would miss a deep v6 growl. Blown away at amount of power when needing to go fast. Tank lasts over 2 weeks. Doesn't seem mom-like after all.

Placement of eco a/c button is really odd (inadvertently open gas cap a lot). Cruise control lever is also strangely placed. Wish front seats hugged a bit more (I'm really small & slide around them). Steering could be a bit tighter. Gentle wind gusts really knock the car. Aux outlet area's too deep.

Double Miles & Savings at Pump!
By VanSteve

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After waiting nearly 3 months (back ordered) for my new Camry Hybrid, I'm now a proud owner of a 2009 TCH. I traded in my 2002 Mercedes Benz S430 which was only averaging 21-23 MPG with a 20.5 gallon tank running on premium gas. Thus far my first week of owning this vehicle, I'm averaging 43 MPG with a mix of city/highway driving during rush hour traffic with normal driving. Hands down, the Camry Hybrid has a very attractive design, good quality, pick-up and excellent consumer ratings. I can't wait to go on some long road-trips and really break the vehicle in; who knows, maybe I can top 50 MPG... lol GOOD JOB Toyota!

Excellent mileage (40-44 MPG), exterior body design with rear spoiler.

Increase trunk space, insert storage compartments in rear (side) doors, and provide a full spare tire.

Liking the 2009 Camry Red Hybrid
By Ronbo

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I looked at this website before ordering a Camry Hybrid. I only have a little over 400 miles on it but am averaging 41.5 mpg so far, mostly mixed country and city driving. In the city I learned to bring it up to speed after stopping for lights, then back off on the gas and it stays in electric mode much of the time up to about about 43 mph. I have a stretch of flat county road 55 mph that I take to town and back and it stays at 50 mpg or just under on that stretch. Fun to drive and sure won't have to worry about speeding trying to get the best mileage out of it.

Quiet smooth ride, sharp look, added a rear lip painted spoiler, installed myself, on the trunk. Fuel economy, keyless starting and stop. Change from gas engine on and off and electric is seamless.

The headrests in the front seat push too far forward on your head. It helps some to recline the seat a little.

Lexus/Shmexus
By DocDzl

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The TCH made me overcome my fears and doubts about Toyota dealers and my desire to get a small BMW, Volvo, Infiniti or non-hybrid Lexus. Exceptional features, mpg, build quality, all for thousands (in some cases--many thousands)less. Not a Bimmer, but enjoyable to drive, particularly with the standard traction/stability control.

Sunroof, power seat adjustments, nav, exterior design.

Relocate cruise switch. Integrate A/C controls better.