Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (148 reviews )

Best Car Yet
By Dean Snyder

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having owned a Lexus ES 300 for a number of years my performance, comfort and over-all driveability expectation bar was set quite high. Our recently purchased upper mid equipped TCH has certainly exceeded my expectations in performance, comfort and fuel economy. The TCH cabin is quieter than my Lexus. Road handling is good on mountain roads and should be compared to a mid size family sedan. This car will not provide sports car handling and feedback you might find in a German car. I've also been quite impressed by the short distance and solid handling of car during a quick stop. It's clear Toyota is committed to building more fuel efficient cars without sacrificing performance and features.

Favorite Features

I find the TCH hybrid feedback system to be quite informative and will even praise you for driving efficiently. With a little practice and some variable driving conditions you will find that it is not that difficult to achieve 38-40 MPG average for your entire tank of gas. Keyless entry is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Door trim, visor mirror lights and passenger side electric adjustable seats should be standard.

7000 Mile Report
By DJS

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Since early October have put 7000 miles, including 4500 miles on a trip from CA to TX, on the car. Comfortable drive after 8 plus hours going across West TX at 80-85 MPH. Gas mileage for the trip was 34 MPG, many of these miles at fairly high speed. I waited 3 months for the car in part to buy one that met our needs, that is, no sunroof, no leather, and the middle up-grade package. Acceleration is pretty darn good, handling very nice until you get into mountainous roads as we did in southern NM. Then you know you are not driving a BMW. But overall a technological marvel-usual Toyota quality build.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, JBL sound quality - even my 27 year old son is impressed. Mileage, given that it is a mid-sized sedan. Ability to run our iPod through the sound system. Dual air control system. Warranty and Toyota build quality.This is a car that will not disappoint.

Suggested Improvements

Have some type of side body molding to prevent parking lot dings. Have built-in inverter to run lap-tops and charge cell phones on AC. Provide "Sport-Package" that does more than just cosmetics on improving handling. Either as standard equipment or separate package have interior upgrade.

Still working on the gas mileage
By Retired in Illinois

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We waited almost 4 months to get our TCH but haven't regretted the purchase (even though gas prices have come down since we ordered it). We had a Camry before this one and were always happy with Toyota. For a recent trip, we ended up buying two smaller suitcases as our two large ones wouldn't fit in the trunk. We aren't getting the gas mileage we had hoped and plan to take it back to the dealer to see what's going on. It seems like the gas engine comes on even when we are going slow, so it may need some adjustment. The lights above the visors shine down, not in your face, so you can use them at night without distracting the driver.

Favorite Features

We love the keyless entry on the doors and trunk and smart-key start. I never take the keys from my purse. The heated seats are great in Chicago's cold weather - it warms your lower back too. The 6 CD player is hidden after the CDs are inserted which is a nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had memory settings for seats and mirrors as my husband is 6'2" and I am 5'2". We have a Murano with pedals that move forward - in the THC, I sit closer to the steering wheel than I'd like. Also wish the side body molding was a standard feature.

Excellent Value/Cannot be Disappointed
By David S.

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Since buying the car in early October we have put about 6000 miles on it, including a 4500 mile trip from the Central Coast of California to South Padre Island, Texas and return. I kept careful records on the trip to Texas and my overall mileage was 33.8 mpg. Understand that many of these miles were at 75-85 mph across West Texas, AZ and NM. It is a great driver, long days on the interstate were comfortable. On a twisty two-lane mountain road in New Mexico it showed that it is not a BMW, but I knew that. The trunk is more than adequate carrying two carry-ons, a small duffle, and other items. This car is a technological marvel.

Favorite Features

Of course gas mileage, but combined with comfort and performance. This car has tremendous acceleration, given a 4 cylinder with the hybrid boost. The grey mica (believe that is the color) with alloy wheels (1st upgrade package) is very elegant.

Suggested Improvements

The interior quality could be spiffed up.

Why Doesn't Everyone Own One?
By Bill/Connecticut

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My TCH (09) has 2K miles on it so it is somewhat broken in. It is an amazing car and I am very pleased with my choice. It was this or a Volvo S80, and the MPG won the day. Having now driven it for awhile I am amazed that the added weight helps with the smoothness of the ride. It reminds me of riding in a friend's Lexus ES350. The CVT took me a little time to get used to, but I am figuring it out that there is not upshift like a regular automatic transmission. Test drive one and see for yourself, this is the car of the future.

Favorite Features

MPG, ride, comfort of leather seats, roominess front and back.

Suggested Improvements

Offer wood dash from factory