Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (148 reviews )

Excellent Car!!!!
By carol26

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our experience with this car has been nothing but positive. We are military so we drive from Florida to Texas once a year(about 1,000 miles). On our trips(we've gone twice so far), we average about 40 MPG. Once we even got 42 MPG!!! The cabin is very quiet and I can actually speak in my normal voice! I love the bluetooth feature. Since we live on a military base, driving while on the phone is illegal and can cause us major trouble. I love how quiet it is at stop lights. I can hear myself think!! This car is reliable, and beautiful inside and out. I also love the 6 cd changer and the separate temperature control. We couldn't have made a better decision !

Hard to choose one, but I would have to say the quiet cabin, how quiet it is at stop lights, and of course.... the MPG!!!

More trunk space. I know the battery occupies lots of space, but trunk space would be nice. Other than that, nothing really. All else is wonderful!

Update to my Aug 08 review
By onebeacon

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After more than 6 months of driving my 09 TCH I still think it's one of the best cars I have ever owned. I was getting between 34-42 MPG when I first got it, but that was being easy on the gas peddle, now, with much more aggressive driving, I'm getting 28-34 MPG. Still impressive for a large car. I just found out my car ins. for the hybrid is HALF the cost of the Highlander I traded in!

Leather, push button start

None

Fully Meeting Expectations
By B Boswell

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Replaced a 2005 Lexus ES330. Planning ahead for inevitable return to high fuel prices, now almost certain with Federal Government policies. Achieved an average of 37.7 miles to the gallon during the first 2 weeks and 500 miles of mixed driving and ownership. Ride and comfort compares very well with the Lexus. CVT transmission much smoother than the Lexus. Actually think the shape and comfort of the seats exceed the Lexus. Have learned how to utilize only the electric motors and battery at around 30 miles per hour on the flat streets in our community. Overall, very pleased with the car and am convinced that we made the right purchase decision. $1,000 incentive from Toyota also appreciated.

Excellent mileage, interior appointments and comfort, overall fit and finish, professional approach by the dealer.

Fully meeting expectations so have no suggested improvements at this vehicle price point.

Great Car!!!!
By Becker

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought a 2009 TCH in November 2008. Traded in our 2001 Honda Prelude so wanted a bigger sedan with 4 doors. We bought the complete package to include heated seats, navigation, and leather interior/moon roof. We now have 4K miles and really enjoy it. Hard to imagine that we can drive 500+ miles on one tank! Averaging 34-35 MPG city/freeway combine. Love the navigation system with built in blue tooth. The ride is so quite and handles well on the freeway. Only concern is a lag when engine switches to battery at certain speeds on freeway but all in all are very happy with this car. Were happy we bought it!!

Quite ride/gas mileage/navigation system/ comfortable seats with heated seats. Roomy interior.

A bit of lag when car switches between battery and engine power but would still buy this vehicle again. Seems that everyone else has a toyota camry hybrid these days.....

Very poor MPG - poor cost/benefit
By ORLY

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Coming up on 7th month of ownership. I bought the TCH when fuel prices were above $4/gal. and expected EPA estimated mileage. Whole family big Toyota fans; second and third generation Camry owners. Gas mileage on my MID hovers between 26-28 MPG tank avg combined city/hwy. Had diagnostic today and am being told by Toyota Dealership and Toyota Customer Service that "there is nothing wrong with my vehicle". Have read every tip, trick and blog about "driving the hybrid" for best mileage. This is NOT user error :) Hybrid cost/benefit NOT worth it for this kind of mileage

Same beautiful Toyota Camry vehicle design and driving experience. Heated side view mirrors a big plus.

Improve fuel economy/performance! Improve diagnostic technique and/or customer service regarding fuel economy. If most reviews are EPA estimate or better then either reviews are biased (screened) OR something is wrong with my particular TCH. Very much hope Toyota addresses my MPG issue.