Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (147 reviews )

Update to my Aug 08 review
By onebeacon

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After more than 6 months of driving my 09 TCH I still think it's one of the best cars I have ever owned. I was getting between 34-42 MPG when I first got it, but that was being easy on the gas peddle, now, with much more aggressive driving, I'm getting 28-34 MPG. Still impressive for a large car. I just found out my car ins. for the hybrid is HALF the cost of the Highlander I traded in!

Favorite Features

Leather, push button start

Suggested Improvements

None

Fully Meeting Expectations
By B Boswell

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Replaced a 2005 Lexus ES330. Planning ahead for inevitable return to high fuel prices, now almost certain with Federal Government policies. Achieved an average of 37.7 miles to the gallon during the first 2 weeks and 500 miles of mixed driving and ownership. Ride and comfort compares very well with the Lexus. CVT transmission much smoother than the Lexus. Actually think the shape and comfort of the seats exceed the Lexus. Have learned how to utilize only the electric motors and battery at around 30 miles per hour on the flat streets in our community. Overall, very pleased with the car and am convinced that we made the right purchase decision. $1,000 incentive from Toyota also appreciated.

Favorite Features

Excellent mileage, interior appointments and comfort, overall fit and finish, professional approach by the dealer.

Suggested Improvements

Fully meeting expectations so have no suggested improvements at this vehicle price point.

Great Car!!!!
By Becker

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought a 2009 TCH in November 2008. Traded in our 2001 Honda Prelude so wanted a bigger sedan with 4 doors. We bought the complete package to include heated seats, navigation, and leather interior/moon roof. We now have 4K miles and really enjoy it. Hard to imagine that we can drive 500+ miles on one tank! Averaging 34-35 MPG city/freeway combine. Love the navigation system with built in blue tooth. The ride is so quite and handles well on the freeway. Only concern is a lag when engine switches to battery at certain speeds on freeway but all in all are very happy with this car. Were happy we bought it!!

Favorite Features

Quite ride/gas mileage/navigation system/ comfortable seats with heated seats. Roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

A bit of lag when car switches between battery and engine power but would still buy this vehicle again. Seems that everyone else has a toyota camry hybrid these days.....

Very poor MPG - poor cost/benefit
By ORLY

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Coming up on 7th month of ownership. I bought the TCH when fuel prices were above $4/gal. and expected EPA estimated mileage. Whole family big Toyota fans; second and third generation Camry owners. Gas mileage on my MID hovers between 26-28 MPG tank avg combined city/hwy. Had diagnostic today and am being told by Toyota Dealership and Toyota Customer Service that "there is nothing wrong with my vehicle". Have read every tip, trick and blog about "driving the hybrid" for best mileage. This is NOT user error :) Hybrid cost/benefit NOT worth it for this kind of mileage

Favorite Features

Same beautiful Toyota Camry vehicle design and driving experience. Heated side view mirrors a big plus.

Suggested Improvements

Improve fuel economy/performance! Improve diagnostic technique and/or customer service regarding fuel economy. If most reviews are EPA estimate or better then either reviews are biased (screened) OR something is wrong with my particular TCH. Very much hope Toyota addresses my MPG issue.

Best Car Yet
By Dean Snyder

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having owned a Lexus ES 300 for a number of years my performance, comfort and over-all driveability expectation bar was set quite high. Our recently purchased upper mid equipped TCH has certainly exceeded my expectations in performance, comfort and fuel economy. The TCH cabin is quieter than my Lexus. Road handling is good on mountain roads and should be compared to a mid size family sedan. This car will not provide sports car handling and feedback you might find in a German car. I've also been quite impressed by the short distance and solid handling of car during a quick stop. It's clear Toyota is committed to building more fuel efficient cars without sacrificing performance and features.

Favorite Features

I find the TCH hybrid feedback system to be quite informative and will even praise you for driving efficiently. With a little practice and some variable driving conditions you will find that it is not that difficult to achieve 38-40 MPG average for your entire tank of gas. Keyless entry is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Door trim, visor mirror lights and passenger side electric adjustable seats should be standard.