2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (147 reviews )
Updated Review After 5 years and 100k Miles
By yungunz on 05/29/13 13:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Here is the original review I wrote 5 years ago: http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry-hybrid/2009/consumer-reviews/the-smart-way-to-move.html?style=100975664&sub=&reviewId=103341721 What can I say, it's been a great 5 year run! I've averaged 35mpg getting about 450-500 miles per tank. Also, I NEVER had to change my brakes! It has something to do with the braking system and the promotion of safer/slower driving. I am thrilled with my purchase. All you have to do is get your oil changes every 5k miles and rotate your tires often! Free oil changes at my dealership was a bonus. I changed my tires at 35k and 85k miles. I was hoping by now Toyota would release some sort of AWD Hybrid. A+++

I'm sold (3 times)!
By elsa3 on 02/17/13 08:24 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We reluctantly bought a new 2007 Camry Hybrid after test-driving a Prius, as the frame of the Prius' hatchback blocked the rear view and the seats were not comfortable. I was sure that I'd be disappointed with the Camry since I'd really wanted the Prius, but I was wrong; the Camry is the best car we've ever owned, and we've owned a lot of cars! We were so impressed that we have since bought a 2009 and 2011 Camry Hybrid as well, and still drive all 3. We get between 40 and 42 mpg and put about 15,000 miles a year on these cars. Most impressive is the acceleration available when passing; I feel safer in these cars than in any I've had before.

50K and still going strong
By dkgoren on 05/01/11 13:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 09 Camry Hybrid is approaching 3 years old and just hit 50K miles. The car has been extremely reiliable, with no mechanical failures and just doing basic maintance (oil changes every 5-7K, tire rotations, etc). I live in Maine, so in the winter, the mileage does drop to around 32, but in the summer, it can be as high as about 38 - that's not to say that I can't get above that for shorter amounts of time, but I've yet to have a full tank average more than about 39MPG......I'm still very happy with the mileage, especially with current gas prices.

Brakes
By Ilene on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the car except for the brakes. This is my first hybrid car. When I have to panic-stop in this car, I apply what I think is normal pressure and the car screeches and grabs the road too violently. It really scares me. Does anyone else have this problem?

A plus!
By joe-Cr on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Extremely quiet. Fun to drive. If you drive right it will exceed suggested mileage per gallon (up to 46) Stylish Body and gorgeous appeal. Sorry Edmunds but Camry Hybrid is way better than your rate. It's not the same to drive for a couple of weeks or less than a full year, like me. I recommend to buy it.

Still Lovin' It
By Denise on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wrote a complimentary review of my Camry hybrid soon after buying it, but thought I should update for those who research to see how owners feel after the "honeymoon" period is over. I have had my Camry for nearly 2 years, 19,000 miles, and I can honestly say that it has exceeded my expectations. It handles well, even on ice and snow. Gas mileage ranges from 37 (cold weather) to 41 mpg. Quiet, comfortable, low maintenance. It's the car everyone in the family wants to drive. I have high standards and am tight with a dollar. I get in this car daily and think, "So glad this is mine!" Don't regret a penny of it. Good luck, folks. I hope you end up loving your car as much as I love mine.

Terrible car, do not get!
By ruthey on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for a little over a year. I got this car as my first car. I am currently 18, i got this car when i was 17. I was so excited to get a car and my dad told me i had to get this one. It worked ok for the first few months but slowly gone down hill. when the recalls came out, and they replaced the recalled items. that is when the problems had started beside from the air conditioner and heater. it smells like smoke when i turn it on, so i do not use it. it is loud and it takes off from me. i hate this car and i will never buy another Toyota and Toyota doesn't do anything and refuse to. I tried to get it as a lemon but since they'll take it not do anything, it cant go through as 1

Love this car
By SalesMonkey on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a traveling sales person, I spend a lot of time in the car and I searched for a comfortable vehicle with excellent mileage - and integrated GPS! My Camry meets all the requirements. I routinely get 40 mpg on the highway and if I baby it, I can get the tank average to be 40+. Awesome. I am comfortable on long trips, the JBL audio system is great, and there is plenty of room for my 6'3" frame and passengers. This vehicle replaced a diesel VW and I was concerned it wouldn't match the mileage, but it has exceeded all of my expectations.

Nu owner loving it
By nuowner on 08/29/10 10:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a 2 weeks ago with 6,000 miles on it. High end vehicle. Loving it. 39+ mpg 650 mi first trip. Used cruise set at speed limit. Looks like 38+ in city driving so far. Easy to ease off and glide at 25-40 mph after well warmed on level or slight downhill. Disappointed in the lousy manuals, even the short one. Needs a GOOD manual for nav for a non-technical person like my wife. I have only begun to figure it out and have years of equipment and technical experience. Nav should have a "basic" mode for naive users like my wife. Horrible blue color bezel for the display panel! It looks nice in my gray interior - awful in others I saw.

Perfect fit
By cpl8 on 07/08/10 20:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I came out of a 2008 Camry SE, I loved that car, it was totaled so I went with a 2009 Camry Hybrid fully loaded. I'm 6' 4" and its a perfect fit. Lots of room. The car shows 36-37 per gallons avg. never better then 37.6mpg

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan in VA is:

$118 per month*