Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (149 reviews )

surprised performance
By Dennis Crosby

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great value. Has good performance,you choose your speed and go. Have had no problems with this car

Ours is a 2009
By pleroma02

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We've loved this vehicle until today when the engine light came on and we discovered that the hybridizing engine battery replacement is almost $5,000. Also, the electrically run wheels will drive your tires off at half life. If you are buying a Toyota Camry Hybrid to save money, rethink that. The dollars you save on fuel economy is way offset by the cost of tires and that trunk battery.

Quiet motor; great leather interior.

Make the batteries last longer than 5 years.

Updated Review After 5 years and 100k Miles
By yungunz

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Here is the original review I wrote 5 years ago: http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry-hybrid/2009/consumer-reviews/the-smart-way-to-move.html?style=100975664&sub=&reviewId=103341721

What can I say, it's been a great 5 year run! I've averaged 35mpg getting about 450-500 miles per tank. Also, I NEVER had to change my brakes! It has something to do with the braking system and the promotion of safer/slower driving. I am thrilled with my purchase. All you have to do is get your oil changes every 5k miles and rotate your tires often! Free oil changes at my dealership was a bonus. I changed my tires at 35k and 85k miles. I was hoping by now Toyota would release some sort of AWD Hybrid. A+++

- 35 mpg - 450 to 500 miles per tank - smooth, quiet ride - low maintenance - never had to change repair or replace my brakes! - roomy cabin - looks - decent acceleration for a hybrid

- bigger trunk please! - AWD option - wagon option - better sound system - improved technology (bluetooth, GPS navigation, etc.)

I'm sold (3 times)!
By elsa3

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We reluctantly bought a new 2007 Camry Hybrid after test-driving a Prius, as the frame of the Prius' hatchback blocked the rear view and the seats were not comfortable. I was sure that I'd be disappointed with the Camry since I'd really wanted the Prius, but I was wrong; the Camry is the best car we've ever owned, and we've owned a lot of cars!
We were so impressed that we have since bought a 2009 and 2011 Camry Hybrid as well, and still drive all 3.
We get between 40 and 42 mpg and put about 15,000 miles a year on these cars. Most impressive is the acceleration available when passing; I feel safer in these cars than in any I've had before.

50K and still going strong
By dkgoren

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 09 Camry Hybrid is approaching 3 years old and just hit 50K miles.
The car has been extremely reiliable, with no mechanical failures and just doing basic maintance (oil changes every 5-7K, tire rotations, etc).
I live in Maine, so in the winter, the mileage does drop to around 32, but in the summer, it can be as high as about 38 - that's not to say that I can't get above that for shorter amounts of time, but I've yet to have a full tank average more than about 39MPG......I'm still very happy with the mileage, especially with current gas prices.

The JBL stereo, MP3 jack, steering wheel controls for audio and climate, bluetooth for phone, heated seats and the key fob.

The OEM tires were aweful in the snow. I've since switched to aftermarket tires that have been much better, although before those I purchased snow tires w/ wheels.......if the original tires were even halfway decent in the snow, I probably wouldn't have needed the snows.......