My First Toyota
By Joe E on
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I live in the Chicago suburbs and have a 45 mile round trip. Bought this car after owning a Mustang GT and went from filling up 2-3 times a week to once every week and a half! While you obviously won't be taking anybody off the line, the car has good acceleration when needed. I was initially getting 30 mpg/tank, now 35-36 mpg/tank, don't know if it's because weather is now warmer or the car (and my driving habits) being "broken in". One misconception is that the electric motor will take the car up to 40 mph; if you accelerate like a normal person (or are going uphill), this just isn't the case. I've found you need to accelerate to your desired speed, then ease off the gas pedal.
Favorite Features
Great mileage, keyless entry and start, awesome stereo w/6 CD changer and MP3 hookup, moonroof, heated side mirrors (really nice feature there), fuel consumption gauge, outside thermometer, calculates mpg per trip and per tank
Suggested Improvements
The low fuel warning light is supposed to come on when 2.5 gallons are left, I've found it comes on with 4-5 gallons left which is really annoying, making me fill up sooner than needed and sometimes pay more than I need to. Also, picky, but only 4 intermittent wiper settings is not enough.