Used 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (70 reviews )

Great Gas Mileage & Smooth Ride
By HCW

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have home in city and country and drive between both homes and back and forth to multiple campuses of university. On some days I will averge 200 to 250 miles per day. Gas milage has averaged for the first 10,000 miles between 35 to 37 mpg. Would buy second one for next vehicle purchase.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry and start, stereo with XM/CD and great sound system, navi, moonroof, heated seats and side mirrors, bluetooth and gas mileage rating at end of the trip.

Suggested Improvements

Larger trunk space; backup camera/assist/warning system would be helpful; relocate the ECO switch next to gas filler switch.

Great Gas Mileage
By Dan P.

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I were looking to replace our 2000 Accord SE (122K miles) and with the continual rise in gas prices, we decided to think "green". Anyway, we decided to look at the Camry and Altima Hybrids. We decided to go with the technology leader, Toyota. I'm glad we did because the car drives great and we're getting a little over 37 MPG, not bad for a car with 350 miles on it. Thanks Toyota!!! The mileage should get a little better too!

Favorite Features

We love the quiet ride, the technology screens (I especially love the gas mileage rating when you conclude a trip!), the navigation system and the JBL sound system. The gas mileage is the best!

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone else, I wish the trunk was a little bigger. A small price to pay for a more environmentally friendly car.

My First Toyota
By Joe E

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I live in the Chicago suburbs and have a 45 mile round trip. Bought this car after owning a Mustang GT and went from filling up 2-3 times a week to once every week and a half! While you obviously won't be taking anybody off the line, the car has good acceleration when needed. I was initially getting 30 mpg/tank, now 35-36 mpg/tank, don't know if it's because weather is now warmer or the car (and my driving habits) being "broken in". One misconception is that the electric motor will take the car up to 40 mph; if you accelerate like a normal person (or are going uphill), this just isn't the case. I've found you need to accelerate to your desired speed, then ease off the gas pedal.

Favorite Features

Great mileage, keyless entry and start, awesome stereo w/6 CD changer and MP3 hookup, moonroof, heated side mirrors (really nice feature there), fuel consumption gauge, outside thermometer, calculates mpg per trip and per tank

Suggested Improvements

The low fuel warning light is supposed to come on when 2.5 gallons are left, I've found it comes on with 4-5 gallons left which is really annoying, making me fill up sooner than needed and sometimes pay more than I need to. Also, picky, but only 4 intermittent wiper settings is not enough.

Perfect Car
By GB

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has been great. I was initially turned off by not being able to use the navigation while driving (can't input a new address) but the voice activated process allows you to input a new address. The car is extremely roomy and ergonomic and I love the heated seats and sound system. It is not a sports car so if you're looking for premier acceleration, cornering, etc. you've come to the wrong place. It is a good looking family car with more-than-ample acceleration while saving big money on gas.

Favorite Features

Hybrid, excellent gas mileage (37 avg) considering I'm no slouch on the gas pedal, roomy, comfortable, bluetooth, sound system; pretty much the whole car! It's fun to see if I can keep engine turned off in the city but NOT at the expense of angering the people behind me. Cruise control saves gas.

Suggested Improvements

One-touch button to switch the phone call back to the cellular phone. I car pool and if someone calls, it is on the speaker for everyone to hear. The bluetooth is great when I'm alone but I'd love to be able to hit a button to switch the call back to the phone. Bigger trunk/ECO button placement.

A Step into Heaven
By Cathy

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is a smart car. I have always known to not accelerate quickly or slam on the brakes abruptly, but this car teaches me how to drive in order to maximize miles per gallon. In fact, I have vastly improved gas mileage on my 97 4runner as a result. Could not decide between Lexus RX 350 & this car. I have not regretted my choice . . . Lexus, who? :-) If you are looking for a luxury car for at least 10-15k less, Toyota Camry Hybrid is it! Way to go Toyota!

Favorite Features

Navigation system easy to use, JBL stereo has great sound, avg mpg on first tank 34, 37-41 mpg avg thereafter, leather seats are heaven!

Suggested Improvements

None, but if Toyota could make other languages besides Spanish & English as an option for the navi, that would be fantastic!