Great MPG in relation to comfort/style
By MO in NY on
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I love this car! I'm averaging 37-49 mpg in spring/fall, 35-37 in summer (using A/C) and 30-33 mpg in winter (when using heating elements and going faster than I should to keep mpg higher). It's true mpg is much lower in winter, but it's the same as with my '99 Subaru Outback, which averaged only 18-22 mpg AT BEST in winter. It seems engines work harder in winter to warm up the engine & keep it warm (also gasohol in winter doesn't help matters). I love the constant consumption, energy, etc. read-outs. This car helps you to learn how to save gas and operate it most efficiently. I was too uncomfortable in the Prius (it was like driving a tin can), but I bought the Camry instead.
Favorite Features
Very comfortable interior and excellent mpg. This car easily seats five people with room to spare (mpg does go down as you add more people & luggage--but it would do the same in any other loaded- down van or car). GPS/Nav system is OK; a Garmin may be better, but I like mine built-in to the dashboard
Suggested Improvements
GPS/Nav system c/b better; sometimes it cannot find an actual address (incl. my own house). I love the styling of the new Venza better than Camry, but Venza doesn't come as a hybrid. The sedan looks "boat-ish" to me-exterior is not that appealing. After 1.5 years, no problems yet with this car!