2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Review: Great MPG in relation to comfo

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Review

Great MPG in relation to comfort/style
By MO in NY on

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! I'm averaging 37-49 mpg in spring/fall, 35-37 in summer (using A/C) and 30-33 mpg in winter (when using heating elements and going faster than I should to keep mpg higher). It's true mpg is much lower in winter, but it's the same as with my '99 Subaru Outback, which averaged only 18-22 mpg AT BEST in winter. It seems engines work harder in winter to warm up the engine & keep it warm (also gasohol in winter doesn't help matters). I love the constant consumption, energy, etc. read-outs. This car helps you to learn how to save gas and operate it most efficiently. I was too uncomfortable in the Prius (it was like driving a tin can), but I bought the Camry instead.

Very comfortable interior and excellent mpg. This car easily seats five people with room to spare (mpg does go down as you add more people & luggage--but it would do the same in any other loaded- down van or car). GPS/Nav system is OK; a Garmin may be better, but I like mine built-in to the dashboard

GPS/Nav system c/b better; sometimes it cannot find an actual address (incl. my own house). I love the styling of the new Venza better than Camry, but Venza doesn't come as a hybrid. The sedan looks "boat-ish" to me-exterior is not that appealing. After 1.5 years, no problems yet with this car!