Used 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (73 reviews )

Great MPG in relation to comfort/style
By MO in NY

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! I'm averaging 37-49 mpg in spring/fall, 35-37 in summer (using A/C) and 30-33 mpg in winter (when using heating elements and going faster than I should to keep mpg higher). It's true mpg is much lower in winter, but it's the same as with my '99 Subaru Outback, which averaged only 18-22 mpg AT BEST in winter. It seems engines work harder in winter to warm up the engine & keep it warm (also gasohol in winter doesn't help matters). I love the constant consumption, energy, etc. read-outs. This car helps you to learn how to save gas and operate it most efficiently. I was too uncomfortable in the Prius (it was like driving a tin can), but I bought the Camry instead.

Very comfortable interior and excellent mpg. This car easily seats five people with room to spare (mpg does go down as you add more people & luggage--but it would do the same in any other loaded- down van or car). GPS/Nav system is OK; a Garmin may be better, but I like mine built-in to the dashboard

GPS/Nav system c/b better; sometimes it cannot find an actual address (incl. my own house). I love the styling of the new Venza better than Camry, but Venza doesn't come as a hybrid. The sedan looks "boat-ish" to me-exterior is not that appealing. After 1.5 years, no problems yet with this car!

Love the car (or wife that is)
By Earl

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

No problems with this car what so ever. They need to fix the door trim problem asap, this car has more dings in the door then my 14 year old Camry.

It just has more room in the back then most car's we looked at.

"No trim on doors means door dings" This is no lie, it is going to have many dings in just one week.

Camry Hybrid
By Brukat

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

3rd Camry, 1st hybrid. We LOVE this car. It teaches you how to get more MPG. Passed on big nav/stereo. Leather was well worth the $. I can keep up with all traffic and stay at 40 mpg. Quiet, roomy, comfortable. Driver classes should consider this car. Power when needed. Consider trunk size when testing, it works for us. CD player has trouble with home made cd/mp3s. Patch in an iPod and go. Watch traffic and red-lights, you CAN beat the stated MPG. We save money at every red-light, the car is off. I have traveled over a mile on electric in town. This car gives all the data you need to make the most of your fuel. Toyotas are like spouses, you may be tired of them before you wear them out.

Fuel economy in a big, safe, full featured car. Famous Toyota reliability.

No trim on doors means door dings. Move "passenger airbag on" light lower on dash, as it's always on. Lower the price, I'm American, I had to say it.

MPG Drops a lot in Winter
By AB01002

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car, but I live in New England. We were getting 35-38 MPG before winter. Now we are getting around 25 mpg. (Our Suburban gets 16 mpg!) I love our Camry but wonder if I would have bought it knowing the winter mileage is so much lower. We have a long winter and I wish I had known about the drop in MPG in the cold weather. By the way, I researched this and it is a normal characteristic of all hybrids.

reliable and roomy

Heated seats - so i could turn off the heater sooner

heated seats?
By pabrocb

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I retired early. When I worked I drove 100 miles a day. We put an additional 10K miles on this car in a year. I think everyone in the family takes it to save gas. Other car is a BMW 330 convertible, my last car was a Passat Wagon all wheel drive.

I do love the car. It's fast enough, comfortable, quiet, and handles well for a non-European car. I don't like the GPS as well as my husband's Garmin and didn't want one, but I wanted a Japan made car.

I'm very unhappy about the heated seats. They seem to come on and go off for no reason. The VW and BMW seats were better. The trunk is difficult, but we knew that going in. We rent a larger vehicle when needed, or get stuff delivered. It's cheaper!