Used 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (71 reviews )

Camry Hybrid
By Brukat

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

3rd Camry, 1st hybrid. We LOVE this car. It teaches you how to get more MPG. Passed on big nav/stereo. Leather was well worth the $. I can keep up with all traffic and stay at 40 mpg. Quiet, roomy, comfortable. Driver classes should consider this car. Power when needed. Consider trunk size when testing, it works for us. CD player has trouble with home made cd/mp3s. Patch in an iPod and go. Watch traffic and red-lights, you CAN beat the stated MPG. We save money at every red-light, the car is off. I have traveled over a mile on electric in town. This car gives all the data you need to make the most of your fuel. Toyotas are like spouses, you may be tired of them before you wear them out.

Fuel economy in a big, safe, full featured car. Famous Toyota reliability.

No trim on doors means door dings. Move "passenger airbag on" light lower on dash, as it's always on. Lower the price, I'm American, I had to say it.

MPG Drops a lot in Winter
By AB01002

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car, but I live in New England. We were getting 35-38 MPG before winter. Now we are getting around 25 mpg. (Our Suburban gets 16 mpg!) I love our Camry but wonder if I would have bought it knowing the winter mileage is so much lower. We have a long winter and I wish I had known about the drop in MPG in the cold weather. By the way, I researched this and it is a normal characteristic of all hybrids.

reliable and roomy

Heated seats - so i could turn off the heater sooner

heated seats?
By pabrocb

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I retired early. When I worked I drove 100 miles a day. We put an additional 10K miles on this car in a year. I think everyone in the family takes it to save gas. Other car is a BMW 330 convertible, my last car was a Passat Wagon all wheel drive.

I do love the car. It's fast enough, comfortable, quiet, and handles well for a non-European car. I don't like the GPS as well as my husband's Garmin and didn't want one, but I wanted a Japan made car.

I'm very unhappy about the heated seats. They seem to come on and go off for no reason. The VW and BMW seats were better. The trunk is difficult, but we knew that going in. We rent a larger vehicle when needed, or get stuff delivered. It's cheaper!

Good Car, but Not Great
By Steve in Houston

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, my 2008 Camry Hybrid is a good car, but it has been in the shop three times for minor issues. First, it was a defective gas cap, then it was a defective seat belt latch, next it was a defective power window button. The dealer needed to keep the car over night once and I was expected to rent a car! I was not happy.

Gas mileage is my favorite feature. I like the styling of the car inside and out. The brakes are impressive!

Offer the reclining back seats as on the Camry XLE model. A chrome wheel package would be nice. The trunk space is quite small due to the extra batteries needed to power the hybrid, but I am not sure there is anything that can be done about that.

Great Car
By Kenny

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Hybrid since Feb 08. I love it the gas mileage it is great. Around town I get around 36 mpg. We have went on 3 family trips the average trip was about 6 hour driving time. We got up to 44 mpg. The only thing I am disappointed with is the navigation system it is not user friendly at all. We had a Nissan before it was a lot easier to use.

Gas mileage, the exterior design.

Navigation system. The door panels having cloth on them. Rear wiper would help greatly.

• SUV