Used 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (70 reviews )

Great Car
By Jeff in PA

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For people who want a full-sized car but also want to be environmentally responsible, this is for you. This is my first Toyota, and after owning it for a year and a half, I understand what others have been raving about. Driving around Pittsburgh where mountains abound, I can still get better than 40 mpg while having plenty of room for three passengers (three adults in the back is a little tight). Because the hills are steeper in town, I actually get slightly lower in-town mileage (low- to mid-30s; hybrids typically shine in town), but it's still better than other vehicles I've owned by 10+ mpg. I haven't had a single mechanical issue and have only done standard preventative maintenance.

Favorite Features

With the leather package (which includes heated seats), automatic lights, 400W JBL stereo (which sounds great), Bluetooth phone hookup, and other bells and whistles, I feel very spoiled in the car. It's not Mercedes luxury, but then again, it's half the price of my parents' Mercedes.

Suggested Improvements

Electric mode is only for *very* gentle driving; some drivers might have a tough time adjusting to this. A plug-in version would be nice. Built-in headrest DVD would allow the family to take this on long trips. Lithium battery might improve trunk space which is adequate but not stellar.

Car Saved My Life
By MK in NS

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After an accident where an oncoming car spun out and into me I was thrilled and disappointed that it was our TCH that I was driving-we have two other Toyotas. The car did everything that it was designed to do. Only the airbags necessary deployed and the front end, including hood, crumpled as it was supposed to. I walked away with minor injuries. LOVE this car so much that when it was written off we bought a 2009. It had more than 100,000kms on it with no problems at all. Can't imagine a better vehicle.

Favorite Features

Aside from the bells and whistles, comfortable drive and great fuel economy I'd have to say the safety features!

Suggested Improvements

None

Great MPG in relation to comfort/style
By MO in NY

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! I'm averaging 37-49 mpg in spring/fall, 35-37 in summer (using A/C) and 30-33 mpg in winter (when using heating elements and going faster than I should to keep mpg higher). It's true mpg is much lower in winter, but it's the same as with my '99 Subaru Outback, which averaged only 18-22 mpg AT BEST in winter. It seems engines work harder in winter to warm up the engine & keep it warm (also gasohol in winter doesn't help matters). I love the constant consumption, energy, etc. read-outs. This car helps you to learn how to save gas and operate it most efficiently. I was too uncomfortable in the Prius (it was like driving a tin can), but I bought the Camry instead.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable interior and excellent mpg. This car easily seats five people with room to spare (mpg does go down as you add more people & luggage--but it would do the same in any other loaded- down van or car). GPS/Nav system is OK; a Garmin may be better, but I like mine built-in to the dashboard

Suggested Improvements

GPS/Nav system c/b better; sometimes it cannot find an actual address (incl. my own house). I love the styling of the new Venza better than Camry, but Venza doesn't come as a hybrid. The sedan looks "boat-ish" to me-exterior is not that appealing. After 1.5 years, no problems yet with this car!

Love the car (or wife that is)
By Earl

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

No problems with this car what so ever. They need to fix the door trim problem asap, this car has more dings in the door then my 14 year old Camry.

Favorite Features

It just has more room in the back then most car's we looked at.

Suggested Improvements

"No trim on doors means door dings" This is no lie, it is going to have many dings in just one week.

Camry Hybrid
By Brukat

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

3rd Camry, 1st hybrid. We LOVE this car. It teaches you how to get more MPG. Passed on big nav/stereo. Leather was well worth the $. I can keep up with all traffic and stay at 40 mpg. Quiet, roomy, comfortable. Driver classes should consider this car. Power when needed. Consider trunk size when testing, it works for us. CD player has trouble with home made cd/mp3s. Patch in an iPod and go. Watch traffic and red-lights, you CAN beat the stated MPG. We save money at every red-light, the car is off. I have traveled over a mile on electric in town. This car gives all the data you need to make the most of your fuel. Toyotas are like spouses, you may be tired of them before you wear them out.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy in a big, safe, full featured car. Famous Toyota reliability.

Suggested Improvements

No trim on doors means door dings. Move "passenger airbag on" light lower on dash, as it's always on. Lower the price, I'm American, I had to say it.