Used 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (70 reviews )

Stay Away from 2008 Models
By chesapeakesun

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Back when the great depression began, Toyota wasn't sure it would survive. So for 2008 and 2009 models, they put ever defective part they could find in their cars. So far, what I have had fail + recalls have been: 1. Braking (recall) 2. Acceleration (recall) 3. Stereo (3 times replaced under warranty - now I am out of warranty and it no longer works) 4. GPS replaced system many times 5. Sun visor (broke in rush hour traffic, dealer service department claimed they never heard of it happening then the recall was issued) 6. Power window recall 7. Locks no longer work (no recall yet) 8. Tires only last 25,000 miles and cost $800 to replace Much more, but no more space to write...

Favorite Features

Push button start

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list

4 Years And Still Going
By ucsb73

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased this vehicle in Oct. 2007 and it continues to perform. It has had a couple of minor issues that were covered under warranty - water pump leak - that I didn't even notice. I don't put on a ton of miles (37K) and my driving is best described as mixed. I continue to get a year-round average of 37 mpg. The winter and wet weather of the Pacific Northwest slows the vehicle down as it fights elements, otherwise, I'd say one could average closer to 39 mpg of mixed city/hwy driving. I paid $30K + taxes - about $2-3K more than V6 Camry with same features - leather, Bluetooth, navigation, power seats, sunroof, & heated mirrors. A solid car - comfortable and quiet.

Favorite Features

Fuel/environmental efficiency, leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, integrated garage door opener, driving on curves. Initially thought it didn't hold curves as well due to wider turning circle but have to say that it's a solid feel when driving around curves.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter turning radius; improve paint or painting process; bucket seats need more sculpting to fit backs better.

Happy camper
By lawjah

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been driving this car for over two years. I live in a very mountainous area and appreciate how this car handles around curves and steep grades. Good acceleration, quiet, comfortable and good mileage. Sound system is good although I've customized all my other cars.

Favorite Features

loving the blue tooth hands free phone and the read out for temp. and mileage, etc. the smart key is also a plus.

Suggested Improvements

I was so excited about the GPS until I tried to use it. It could be a bit more user friendly. I also think the interior could be spiffed up a bit.

Great Car
By Matt

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have over 51,000 miles on my 2008 hybrid and have had no problems. I got the base model with the only option being floor mats. Overall, I average about 31-36 mpg in city/hwy combined driving. I'm tall and there is plenty of leg room and the seats are quite comfortable. It is quick, comfortable and dependable.

Favorite Features

At times, both gas and electric motors kick in providing a good punch when needed.

Suggested Improvements

A little better quality for the standard radio/CD player.

No Problems and none expected
By thomasw828

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

21 months later and 22k on the Camry, we have had no problems and no regrets. Average mileage is 35 in town and up to 41 on road. Another reviewer complained about body dings...Buy the body side moldings (we did)!!! These should be standard. The best time to buy is at the end of the month or in our case the end of the year, got an immediate 8% off sticker and a great $ for Lexus trade- in.

Favorite Features

Nav system is adequate, but the update disc's are very expensive. Love the leather, comfort and quietness of vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control has too much lag to keep speed even, always shifting to overdrive to catch up.