2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (69 reviews )
4 Years And Still Going
By ucsb73 on 10/10/11 16:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased this vehicle in Oct. 2007 and it continues to perform. It has had a couple of minor issues that were covered under warranty - water pump leak - that I didn't even notice. I don't put on a ton of miles (37K) and my driving is best described as mixed. I continue to get a year-round average of 37 mpg. The winter and wet weather of the Pacific Northwest slows the vehicle down as it fights elements, otherwise, I'd say one could average closer to 39 mpg of mixed city/hwy driving. I paid $30K + taxes - about $2-3K more than V6 Camry with same features - leather, Bluetooth, navigation, power seats, sunroof, & heated mirrors. A solid car - comfortable and quiet.

Happy camper
By lawjah on 06/22/10 19:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been driving this car for over two years. I live in a very mountainous area and appreciate how this car handles around curves and steep grades. Good acceleration, quiet, comfortable and good mileage. Sound system is good although I've customized all my other cars.

Great Car
By Matt on 06/09/10 06:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have over 51,000 miles on my 2008 hybrid and have had no problems. I got the base model with the only option being floor mats. Overall, I average about 31-36 mpg in city/hwy combined driving. I'm tall and there is plenty of leg room and the seats are quite comfortable. It is quick, comfortable and dependable.

No Problems and none expected
By thomasw828 on 09/12/09 05:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

21 months later and 22k on the Camry, we have had no problems and no regrets. Average mileage is 35 in town and up to 41 on road. Another reviewer complained about body dings...Buy the body side moldings (we did)!!! These should be standard. The best time to buy is at the end of the month or in our case the end of the year, got an immediate 8% off sticker and a great $ for Lexus trade- in.

Great Car
By Jeff in PA on 04/19/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For people who want a full-sized car but also want to be environmentally responsible, this is for you. This is my first Toyota, and after owning it for a year and a half, I understand what others have been raving about. Driving around Pittsburgh where mountains abound, I can still get better than 40 mpg while having plenty of room for three passengers (three adults in the back is a little tight). Because the hills are steeper in town, I actually get slightly lower in-town mileage (low- to mid-30s; hybrids typically shine in town), but it's still better than other vehicles I've owned by 10+ mpg. I haven't had a single mechanical issue and have only done standard preventative maintenance.

Car Saved My Life
By MK in NS on 03/31/09 12:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After an accident where an oncoming car spun out and into me I was thrilled and disappointed that it was our TCH that I was driving-we have two other Toyotas. The car did everything that it was designed to do. Only the airbags necessary deployed and the front end, including hood, crumpled as it was supposed to. I walked away with minor injuries. LOVE this car so much that when it was written off we bought a 2009. It had more than 100,000kms on it with no problems at all. Can't imagine a better vehicle.

Great MPG in relation to comfort/style
By MO in NY on 02/28/09 18:52 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! I'm averaging 37-49 mpg in spring/fall, 35-37 in summer (using A/C) and 30-33 mpg in winter (when using heating elements and going faster than I should to keep mpg higher). It's true mpg is much lower in winter, but it's the same as with my '99 Subaru Outback, which averaged only 18-22 mpg AT BEST in winter. It seems engines work harder in winter to warm up the engine & keep it warm (also gasohol in winter doesn't help matters). I love the constant consumption, energy, etc. read-outs. This car helps you to learn how to save gas and operate it most efficiently. I was too uncomfortable in the Prius (it was like driving a tin can), but I bought the Camry instead.

Love the car (or wife that is)
By Earl on 02/05/09 08:03 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

No problems with this car what so ever. They need to fix the door trim problem asap, this car has more dings in the door then my 14 year old Camry.

Camry Hybrid
By Brukat on 01/27/09 20:04 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

3rd Camry, 1st hybrid. We LOVE this car. It teaches you how to get more MPG. Passed on big nav/stereo. Leather was well worth the $. I can keep up with all traffic and stay at 40 mpg. Quiet, roomy, comfortable. Driver classes should consider this car. Power when needed. Consider trunk size when testing, it works for us. CD player has trouble with home made cd/mp3s. Patch in an iPod and go. Watch traffic and red-lights, you CAN beat the stated MPG. We save money at every red-light, the car is off. I have traveled over a mile on electric in town. This car gives all the data you need to make the most of your fuel. Toyotas are like spouses, you may be tired of them before you wear them out.

MPG Drops a lot in Winter
By AB01002 on 01/22/09 11:17 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car, but I live in New England. We were getting 35-38 MPG before winter. Now we are getting around 25 mpg. (Our Suburban gets 16 mpg!) I love our Camry but wonder if I would have bought it knowing the winter mileage is so much lower. We have a long winter and I wish I had known about the drop in MPG in the cold weather. By the way, I researched this and it is a normal characteristic of all hybrids.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.