Used 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (72 reviews )

An unremarkable car that does many things right
By Brandon

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid back in May of 2010 with ~26k on the odometer. Has every option except navigation. Overall it's been a decent car. Pluses include great gas mileage for its year/size (I typically get 35+ on a tank of gas, but have seen over 40+ many times. I do mostly city driving), many comfort/convenience features (heated seats, homelink, ABS, traction control, etc.), great mechanical reliability (engine, transmission, etc.), however it's also had a number of drawbacks:
1. The front seats are the most uncomfortable car seats I've ever sat in. I absolutely hate them. My wife and I are about 5'10, and her legs are 4" longer than mine. Neither of us can get comfortable. We still dread trips longer than 2 hours, which always lead to prickly legs and back pain no matter what we try.
2. Got the dreaded Error 3 with the 6-disc CD changer and the unit completely died. Thankful for the Aux port so I can at least hook up an MP3 player.
3. Driver side rear brake caliper got grippy, leading to pre-mature wearing of the break pad and scoring of the rotor.
4. AC randomly comes on sometimes when the car is shifted from park into reverse, or from drive into park.
5. Trunk is very small for a car this size, but we knew this going into it.
Overall, if I had to do it again, I would not have purchased this car, and will never purchase another Toyota Camry as a result. With near 100k on the odometer, I'm happily looking for something else more suited for reliably moving around my family of 4 in comfort.

engine burning oil
By khaan

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

mileage on my car 200k and it starts burning oil. after each 2000 miles i am adding 1 quarter oil (946ml). i went to toyota dealer 2 times and made oil consumption test twice. But every time it passed. Toyota dealer said me, that if its not burning quarter oil in 1000 mile its ok.

Stay Away from 2008 Models
By chesapeakesun

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Back when the great depression began, Toyota wasn't sure it would survive. So for 2008 and 2009 models, they put ever defective part they could find in their cars. So far, what I have had fail + recalls have been:

1. Braking (recall)
2. Acceleration (recall)
3. Stereo (3 times replaced under warranty - now I am out of warranty and it no longer works)
4. GPS replaced system many times
5. Sun visor (broke in rush hour traffic, dealer service department claimed they never heard of it happening then the recall was issued)
6. Power window recall
7. Locks no longer work (no recall yet)
8. Tires only last 25,000 miles and cost $800 to replace
Much more, but no more space to write...

Push button start

Too many to list

4 Years And Still Going
By ucsb73

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased this vehicle in Oct. 2007 and it continues to perform.
It has had a couple of minor issues that were covered under warranty - water pump leak - that I didn't even notice.

I don't put on a ton of miles (37K) and my driving is best described as mixed.
I continue to get a year-round average of 37 mpg.
The winter and wet weather of the Pacific Northwest slows the vehicle down as it fights elements, otherwise, I'd say one could average closer to 39 mpg of mixed city/hwy driving.

I paid $30K + taxes
- about $2-3K more than V6 Camry with same features - leather, Bluetooth, navigation, power seats, sunroof, & heated mirrors.

A solid car - comfortable and quiet.

Fuel/environmental efficiency, leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, integrated garage door opener, driving on curves. Initially thought it didn't hold curves as well due to wider turning circle but have to say that it's a solid feel when driving around curves.

Tighter turning radius; improve paint or painting process; bucket seats need more sculpting to fit backs better.

Happy camper
By lawjah

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been driving this car for over two years. I live in a very mountainous area and appreciate how this car handles around curves and steep grades. Good acceleration, quiet, comfortable and good mileage. Sound system is good although I've customized all my other cars.

loving the blue tooth hands free phone and the read out for temp. and mileage, etc. the smart key is also a plus.

I was so excited about the GPS until I tried to use it. It could be a bit more user friendly. I also think the interior could be spiffed up a bit.