2015 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Glare is a safety issue.
By Bruno

2015 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have been driving this car for a year. The vehicle came with tint installed by the dealer. The rear glass is angled in such a way that it produces excessive glare. This affects visibility, and increases the risk of a collision when backing up or shifting lanes. I've already had a few close calls because of this issue. In addition, the navigation screen is likewise prone to excessive glare from sunlight passing thru the front glass. Not only is it difficult to see the navigation map but it limits the usefulness of the back up camera. I have the touring version, equipped with 18 inch wheels. When the road is well paved, the ride is quiet and smooth; however, road imperfections are transmitted into the cabin in a pronounced manner. I also own a Mazda 3 and a Volkswagen Golf, and these compact cars absorb bumps and potholes better. Lastly, Entune is so erratic that it is exasperating to use. I've owned several Toyotas in the past, and I have to say, this one was a bit disappointing.

Horrible Ride
By John Frields

2015 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Sixed straight Toyota and fourth straight Avalon. Will probably look for a better ride next time. Had this car for two years and can't wait to try something else with a more comfortable ride. My bottom can't take the rough ride. Sat in a friend's Cadillac the other day and what a joy!

Horrible front seat cushions. (*Hybrid model)
By ricardomotasr@gmail.com

2015 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Toyota needs to do something about the comfort of the front seats!!!!!!!
After a 1/2 an hour or more on the road your bottom is in pain. Driver and passenger have insufficient cushioning and/or poor design. *

Worst entertainment system ever
By Chuck

2015 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Besides the Avalon I currently have a 2008 Ford Edge and a 2015 Ford Fusion. I bought the Avalon to replace a 2005 Cadillac because the Caddy had a hard life and was worn out and didn't want to spend Cadillac size dollars on another car. All have order of magnitude better entertainment systems than my new Avalon. Even the aging Cadillac. The stereo sounds as if there is only a single dash mounted speaker and fidelity is worse than AM of my other cars. GPS needs to ne replaced too. The only function I find acceptable is the hands free phone.

We like the styling, ride, comfort, handling, safety features and performance. Gas mileage is not spectacular, but acceptable for a V6.

If I could I figure out how to replace the entertainment system and those awful speakers I would in a heartbeat.

Lexus price but not Lexus quality
By T

2015 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After disappointment with the quality decline in Honda's interior trim I decided to go with Toyota and thought their flagship would be well worth it. I assumed I was getting a car commensurate in quality with its price, but boy was I wrong. First, the positive. The engine is well matched with this car and it has adequate pickup, particularly in sport mode. It makes a very subtle but noticeable difference in acceleration. Unfortunately, sport mode must be selected every time you drive as the car only retains normal or eco mode when you turn off the engine. Minor detail. The other positive is that the interior is very well laid out and looks great.

As for quality, the wind and road noise is quite noticeable in this car. It's not a deal killer, but it is more than I would expect for something with a $40k+ MSRP. There are also some really stupid choices Toyota made with this car such as the Nav/phone system. I understand that certain things deactivate when you're moving, but using hands-free calling can be a hassle because if you need to call a number with an automated phone tree (for example, calling Toyota) and you must enter in a number prompt instead of speaking it, you have to pick up your phone and dial it from there. The number pad on the car's screen deactivates. So much for the "safety" aspect of hands-free.

As for quality, Toyota must've gone on vacation. My analog speedometer is about 3 mph off from the digital one, a minor deal but an annoyance regardless. This is common to these cars, but Toyota will not fix it as 1-3 mph variance is "within tolerance." The seat heaters are nice, but the seat coolers are next to useless. I've had seat coolers that work, but these don't do much at all. There is also an annoying buzz/rattle coming from the door panels when the radio is on. After four fruitless attempts to get this fixed at the dealership and with no help from the corporate office I finally took the doors apart myself and added a ton of soundproofing material. It mitigated the issue, but I really don't think DIY is an acceptable solution to a manufacturing issue on a new, much less "flagship" vehicle. Then, there's the stereo itself. It sounds great... when it works. It randomly loses connectivity with my phone and has, on multiple occasion, gone into a sequence of rebooting itself. The problem is intermittent and cannot be replicated, so Toyota offers no assistance on fixing it. Lastly, the car has developed an intermittent hesitation when it starts. As best I could, I tracked it down to times when the car sat for an hour or two and the temperature was warm and humid. I even provided video proof of it occurring. However, Toyota stated that since they cannot replicate the issue in shop it is a non-issue and they refuse to fix it. It has not yet kept the car from starting or running, but I think given time it will be an issue.

I've purchased several cars over the years and must say that this is the most disappointing one I've owned. It's not the worst, but I expected much more based on Toyota's reputation and the fact that this is their flagship.