Used 2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Give this an extended test drive before buying!
By Arslan T

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I drive about 26k miles a year and about 80 miles a day here in Houston and was looking for a used road warrior. My biggest factor in purchasing our 3rd car here is road comfort (to avoid road fatigue) and efficiency/mpg. I have two friends that have the older Avalon models and rave about its comfort and ride, and currently having an ES 350 and seeing its reliability and comfort, the new Avalon was an obvious choice for me. We had the opportunity to purchase a 2015 Avalon XLE but the week that I was to purchase the car I had an opportunity to rent the same car. 200-300 miles later and I am absolutely set on never buying this current Avalon!
The exterior has great looks and the interior took a bit to get use to. As others have reviewed, the ride is firm on the highway to the extent that you will feel most bumps, causing road fatigue much earlier (about 25 mins for me). Secondly the seat does not have adequate lumbar support, making the ride much worse.
Please do test drive the car before buying this as Toyota has changed the Avalon to make it appeal to younger buyers. As a 30 year old, I really should care about the fun to drive factor - which is def there! - but I just can't get over how uncomfortable the ride is on the highway.
Test drove an Accord and a Camry today as well and surprisingly even the camry - which was my last resort car! - even has a better ride in terms of comfort than the avalon

Poor performance, poor resale value, huge problem
By disappointed former toyota owner

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The overall sticker price was $38,500.00 in 2014 right now the car is worth trade in $20,000.00 DO not believe that an avalon will hold its value b/c it did not. After just one year it depreciated so much that I was unable to trade it in .The side assist after being back at the dealer has not worked in 3 tries . I am a toyota buyer and this is my 5th toyota but I will NEVER purchase another toyota product EVER! I called corporate they said it was MY opinion no its their product that depreciated so much. I am just screaming to not ever buy a toyota avalon you will be disappointed in the trade in value. $18,500 depreciated is JUST unacceptable .

Non-folding back seat
By Nyeye

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our dealer did not tell us about the back seat. It does not fold down. My ladee and I wanted to take it to big bear for snowboarding but was unable to put our gear in the trunk. We never thought Toyota would come up with such a design flaw.

Honest revue
By lennie falcon

Disappointed After One Year
By oldgoldtop

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Thankfully I only have one more year on a two year lease. This is my first and last Toyota. The Entune was originally great but updates have rendered it very unreliable and nearly useless. Bluetooth is now constantly disconnecting and reconnecting which drops calls and streaming music. Phone text messages rarely will download anymore since recent automatic updates to the software. Navigation is cumbersome and voice recognition on search function is pathetic. The touch controls can often be activated by mistake if you are not careful. In fact that ugly dash touch panel was almost a deal killer for me. The climate display can be impossible to read in the sunlight. Just too many things not implemented well. Dealer service seems uninterested in dealing with the unreliable Entune. Seat heater controls are located on the center console which I find inconvenient and poorly designed. Prefer they be on dash. Exterior styling is appealing to my eyes but so are many other sedans these days. Ride and handling is acceptable for my conservative driving style. I do lie the active backup camera system but would lie some front sensors. The front is very low and easy to scrape on the sidewalk when parking. The lane change sensors work well and a nice feature although unlike my previous car, there is no audible warning .