2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

We Call It "The Turnip"
By Dave Kopczynski

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After owning nothing but Camrys since 1989, and being completely satisfied with them, we decided to "upgrade" to the Toyota "Flagship", assuming that it would be nicer than the Camrys. This was the biggest car buying mistake of my life! Our 2014 Avalon Limited has the harshest ride and the most road noise of any car we have ever owned. We refer to it as "The Turnip" because we feel the ride and noise would be what you would expect from a turnip truck used on a farm to transport vegetables. The seats are about as comfortable as sitting on a sheet of plywood. Understand that we think the deep metallic red Avalon is one of the prettiest cars on the road. We get a lot of compliments on the appearance of the car, and I always try to sell it to the people making the compliment. However, when new people ride in the car, the comment is something like, "What were you thinking? Did you even drive this thing before you bought it?" Regrettably, I didn't drive the car; I went entirely on Toyota's reputation for quality and the terrific Avalon reputation for a quiet, almost luxury car ride, in an affordable vehicle. Toyota says they redefined the ride to appeal to a younger (40-ish) group of potential buyers. I really don't see where a "neck-snapping" noisy ride would appeal to people in any age group. A few other complaints: 1. Navigation system is already out of date; 2. Analog and digital speed indications are different; 3. Rattles are starting to appear; 4. Sound system is very unimpressive compared to systems in our other cars. I have tried several times to trade this car for something (almost anything) else. Car dealers KNOW the Avalon's new reputation, and the trade-in value is below the low end of the Kelly Blue Book range of values. The saddest event was when I test drove a Ford F-150 pickup truck and the ride quality and lack of road noise was FAR superior to the Avalon. Summary: If you feel you simply MUST consider this car, take it for an EXTENDED test drive before signing the paperwork!! Drive down a highway at 60 MPH and just listen to the road noise!! There doesn't seem to be adequate sound insulation in the body. READ READ READ the reviews!!! Better yet, buy something else.

Disapointed
By Jim Bushnell

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you want a go cart ride this is the car for you. The Corolla is the same way. You have to stop the car to select anything on the AC control panel. No feel and you touch the wrong thing. The back up screen is barely visible in sunlight. The rs rear view mirror block the forward view of the rider. The rider seat does not lift to see over. The mirrors stick out so far they hit the garage door frame (lucky they pivot). The steering wheel blocks the messages on the dash. I did not trade my 2001 Avalon which still runs great at 160000 miles. I am going to sell the 2014 and fix up the 2001.

What a let down!
By Zayne Austin

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I went from a 2008 Solara sport to this 2014 Avalon, What a let down! The good, Lots of snap/HP. Nice materials used. Nicer styling. For the bad... the list is long!! Poor headlight illumination Blind spot mont.system over agressive during passing. you can not wash the car with the keys in your pocket, the car constantly locks and unlocks. There is poor storage area, and push button start makes it worse with more stuff Keys)to set somewhere! the certer armrest storage is horrible, no where to have a pen handy, Ok seats, super hard!!! no comfortable at all. Im always trying to readjust to relax my butt. the tilt wheel does not tilt down far enough, and does not telescope far enough. plus both are controlled by only one lever. so the tilt up upon exit usually retracts the telescope as well, so constant adjusting. I had to put the seat much closer to the dash than I like do to steering position issues. the window controls are wrong. when the arm is on the panel, my fingers are on top of the mirror controls, kinda not where then need to be! I dislike the radio controls. as you change presets your actually going down on the wheel, yet your preset stations are going up in sequence. very confusing. I guess setting up the presets backward will help. The materials on the radio controls are cheap. also, the HD is constantly going in and out, making radio loud, then quiet. Ill turn it off, but as soon as you change the station, its active again. The screen on the radio and climate are slanted at a poor angle, the sun hits them and you cant see anything!! they need to perhaps be tiltable so as to avoid sun glare. OK the car is automatic, always wandering for a gear, and has sport shift option and!!! paddle shifter! really? why waste that much mony on 3 shifting options in an AVALON? The a/c vents are horrible!!! you can cool the body from the chest up, or from knees down, but there are NO vents to cool your mid section. the "auto" to cool the car, does not work well, it activates vents only, not the floor vents, and it doesnt turn on high, you have to adjust it. some of the controls are just touch and some are PUSH, so wierd trying to remember what ones you have to push hard. The review camera has not helped me at all. I do like that the mirrors tilt down upon reverse though. the brakes kinda suck, it feels like they are going to warp if I push hard. I am a single guy 35, drive the car in eco all the time trying to be gentle. This car is neither luxury as I thought, or sport as they are trying. its simply a glorified Maxima, that is a let down on all fronts.

2014 Avalon Limited
By Bruce Colman

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought it new last fall, should have been an amazing product. This winter the battery died, discovered it was a known problem with the Canadian dealer, lots of cars coming in on tow trucks with a battery with a bad cell. GPS system is useless, a five year old $150 Garmin has more features and is easier to use. I actually use a Gamin window mount GPS on road trips. The most discouraging part is the rattles in the roof, dealer has tried to fix them, some were loose wires to the sunroof. Side mirrors do not always return to normal after backing up and going forward.

Powerful drive train, and handles well for a large car. Terrific trunk space, HID lighting and radar cruise work. While appearance is not a major factor for myself, it is an good looking car, inside and out.

Expanding spend on quality control, the car is made in North America and shows it. Rattles, bad battery. Get a real GPS system from Garmin, or at least upgrade this one to basic Garmin features.

Rides like a truck
By gordon grier

2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had a 2005 toytoa avalon that had a very comfortable ride. This 2014 Toyota Avalon rides like a truck. Poor engerening on the struts.