2014 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Rides like a truck
By gordon grier

2014 Toyota Avalon XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had a 2005 toytoa avalon that had a very comfortable ride. This 2014 Toyota Avalon rides like a truck. Poor engerening on the struts.

2015 Avalon Limited
By tome1

2014 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So far, other than ride quality we enjoy our new Avalon. Very responsive, excellent power, electronic package is very nice (a lot of safety features).

Favorite Features

Very quiet ride, safety monitoring features, excellent audio system

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should have left ride quality alone. Our 2011 Avalon had a much better ride. 2015 Avalon amplifies every little road imperfection up into passengers' body. Not a good thing!

You have to read this before you buy
By malutka

2014 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The biggest issue for me is that the whole interior (meaning door panels, dashboard in my car especially rear doors and behind passenger seats) squeaks which is unacceptable for this type of car. Barely noticeable during the day, because of the outside ambient noise, with occasional louder squeaks here and there. But at night it is impossible to drive without music on- it drive me crazy! Suspension: you feel all the bumps, but the car is soft and has no handling power. My 9 speaker sounds system almost like in dodge neon. It sounds like all the sound coming out of one dashboard speaker. Telescopic Steering wheel doesn't pull out far enough. If you 6' and over, your hands will be straight.

Favorite Features

You can turn off DRL! Finally The car has big interior and it feels that way when you seat in it. I like the design of the dash board- itís like the architectural student project: surface overlapping the surface- looks mature and modern. It has that longitudinal design and give you that visual openness inside the car and lightness. Interior materials I would say close to high end, no cheap plastics. Back up camera and automatic tilting exterior mirrors- I just wish they would be dimmed Seats comfortable so far for me- I saw a lot of complains that they are too hard. Pass through to the trunk: you can fit 3 pair of skins.

Suggested Improvements

Change the assembling techniques to eliminate squeaking noise. Make suspension either hard and with handling control, or totally comfortable. Insulate the car from exterior ambient noise and all fenders above the wheels. Steering wheel should pull out more, so you can reach it without straightening you hands all the way- which is unsafe and uncomfortable. Front passenger seat should pull out more so you can straight you legs during the road trip, especially with all that space in the back. Better speaker and reevaluate their locations through out the car. Car key- you would be ashamed to pull it out. Center red stop light bounces out of the rear window at night. Folding rear seats.

A smelly car
By freepak

2014 Toyota Avalon XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my third Avalon and there is a definite design flaw. The car smells.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the smell.

Avalon No More
By healthylady

2014 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This Avalon has a terrible design flaw. The interior chrome trim around the controls, air conditioner vents, and doors cause a blinding glare when driving in the sunlight. I have had many Toyota vehicle and have always been very pleased until now. I have written and called Toyota, called and written AutoNation and offered solutions but have not been offered any solutions from these companies. Before you purchase search the internet for Avalon glare problem! I wish that I knew before I purchased.

Favorite Features

I am so unhappy with the interior glare problem that I really cannot think of any favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota really needs to help the consumers who have purchased the 2013 and 2014 Avalon Models by offering a fix or solution for the glare problem. All they will need to do is to offer us a different interior instrument panel trim in a non-reflective color. It would be an easy fix but so far Toyota is not offering anything.