Used 2014 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Hybrid Avalon Touring 2014
By Hybrid Avalon 2014 Touring

2014 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

For some reason Edmonds doesn't know there's a Hybrid version of this car so I selected the V6 version. I Really like the Avalon now that I got rid of the OEM Toyota chosen Bridgestone Turanzas. DO NOT get an Avalon with Bridgestone (rocks) tires. I test drove the care with Michelin tires and the ride was firm but comfortable. My located Avalon came with Bridgestone Turanzas and the car rode brittle and handled terribly. I did some investigation and found others had Bridgestone Turanzas and hated them and got rid of them. At 16k miles they were getting so loud I couldn't bear it any more. I went to Toyota and they did not care or help. So I was on my own and put Pirelli P7s on the car and it rides, handles, stops, goes through rain great and is very quiet and is a LRR tire that gets great MPG. My headliner behind my sunroof fell down and the Toyota dealer fixed it once (including nasty fingerprints all over the headliner that I had to argue with the dealer to clean) and it fell down again. Toyota came up with a second headliner fix and they got it right. The radio every once in a while goes dead on AM or FM. It works fine through Bluetooth or other sound inputs, radio just dies. It's intermittent so of course the Dealer can't fix it. Poor quality radio though buyer be ware. The NAV system that Toyota provides would have been outdated in 2008. It has no speed limit and updates are horribly expensive and don't come out very often. My $100 Tom-Tom Nav or my apple phone do a far superior job than the one Toyota sticks you with. Regular free updates and speed limit display on the Tom-Tom. So after my flawless 2012 Camry XLE Hybrid, this Avalon has come with some issues and Toyota has not been much help. What I do like is the MPG for a car this size. Comfort is pretty good. I've gone on some long trips and the seats are firm but not fatiguing. I would expect more padding in the seats for a car like this. Overall I like the interior layout. The armrest on the driver side at 17k is starting to wear through. Not too happy with the lack of durability of the arm rest vinyl. The steering is great. very low effort and accurate with decent road feel for a big car. The styling is pretty nice for a car in this price range. Over all a pretty nice car that I enjoy driving now that I prematurely had to get rid of the Toyota OEM Bridgestones. I have always owned Toyotas, and I still like this Avalon, but the quality and customer care is sadly slipping from Toyota and the dealers.

Great Value, Reliability and Performance
By S. C. Charles

2014 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned the Avalon for 6 months and 3 weather seasons, I'm very pleased with the performance, comfort and economy of this full size sedan. There are minor annoyances and all cars have them. This car has a few, Updates to the NAV expensive, Road noise a bit more than a car of this class should have and oral commands to the NAV and phone useless. The high points are the ride is both firm and comfortable, the quality of the interior is exceptional, the sound system is very high quality, the power in the engine and the effortless shifting of the transmission is flawless, the MPG in a full size car with 268 HP is unbeatable. I did purchase the vehicle used with 8K miles on it at a substantial discount to the sticker price and I feel I received a great value for a car I'll drive for at least 10 years. The reliability of a Toyota is accurately stated by biased and unbiased authorities alike. Suffice to say I'm very happy with the purchase and looking forward to driving this car for a long time.

Give this an extended test drive before buying!
By Arslan T

2014 Toyota Avalon XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I drive about 26k miles a year and about 80 miles a day here in Houston and was looking for a used road warrior. My biggest factor in purchasing our 3rd car here is road comfort (to avoid road fatigue) and efficiency/mpg. I have two friends that have the older Avalon models and rave about its comfort and ride, and currently having an ES 350 and seeing its reliability and comfort, the new Avalon was an obvious choice for me. We had the opportunity to purchase a 2015 Avalon XLE but the week that I was to purchase the car I had an opportunity to rent the same car. 200-300 miles later and I am absolutely set on never buying this current Avalon!
The exterior has great looks and the interior took a bit to get use to. As others have reviewed, the ride is firm on the highway to the extent that you will feel most bumps, causing road fatigue much earlier (about 25 mins for me). Secondly the seat does not have adequate lumbar support, making the ride much worse.
Please do test drive the car before buying this as Toyota has changed the Avalon to make it appeal to younger buyers. As a 30 year old, I really should care about the fun to drive factor - which is def there! - but I just can't get over how uncomfortable the ride is on the highway.
Test drove an Accord and a Camry today as well and surprisingly even the camry - which was my last resort car! - even has a better ride in terms of comfort than the avalon

Poor performance, poor resale value, huge problem
By disappointed former toyota owner

2014 Toyota Avalon XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The overall sticker price was $38,500.00 in 2014 right now the car is worth trade in $20,000.00 DO not believe that an avalon will hold its value b/c it did not. After just one year it depreciated so much that I was unable to trade it in .The side assist after being back at the dealer has not worked in 3 tries . I am a toyota buyer and this is my 5th toyota but I will NEVER purchase another toyota product EVER! I called corporate they said it was MY opinion no its their product that depreciated so much. I am just screaming to not ever buy a toyota avalon you will be disappointed in the trade in value. $18,500 depreciated is JUST unacceptable .

Non-folding back seat
By Nyeye

2014 Toyota Avalon XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our dealer did not tell us about the back seat. It does not fold down. My ladee and I wanted to take it to big bear for snowboarding but was unable to put our gear in the trunk. We never thought Toyota would come up with such a design flaw.