Good car if you have low expectations
By redfishfl on
2013 Toyota Avalon XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
I have been a happy Toyota customer all my adult life (now 55 and had only one non-toyota). I am very frustrated with this car. I suppose if one has low expectations, then this is the car for you..I feel like a sucker for purchasing it.. I feel like I have a 'super Corolla',... not at all the car I wanted to give my wife. We purchased this car for long rides, and I only see this being acceptable for around town. Toyota has taught me a lesson I will not forget. It seems to me that Toyota has left the upscale market, and is leaving that for Lexus' territory. Seriously, I'm not being too harsh. Check it out for yourself.
Favorite Features
Body style, transmission, power, braking, mileage.
Suggested Improvements
Fix harsh, distracting ride, add insulation, radio needs more power, better wind reduction. Also, tried to add upgrades to car ( for example), an autodimming rear view mirror. Dealer doesn't even have a part number for it..what has happened to the Toyota logistics? Lastly, the back of the passenger seat came loose..dealer will fix.
By poorthingflint
on 07/21/14 05:16 AM (PDT)

I am 74 yrs old and my Avalon is a touring sedan with 18" wheels and Michelin tires inflated to 33 psi cold. Took a trip of nearly 2000 miles round trip with another couple and a full load of luggage. The car is a road burning joy to drive. It is eager to cruise at "go to jail speeds" if your not carful. The seats are firm for some older folks and I carried a jell filled cushion in case that was a problem. One passenger used the cushion for part of the trip but interesting they stopped using it on the trip back and myself and everyone else found the seats firm but very supportive and comfortable. The handling reminds me of my last 5 series BMW very stable and secure and confidence inspiring. Low road noise and wind noise topped off with milage over 30 mpg even though the car was heavily loaded and often traveling in the fast lane at high speeds. Let's face it seats are like mattresses not every one likes the same firmness but seats always soften with use but never firm up and the seat obviously softened enough that the passenger that found her seat a little firm experienced this fact.