Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

F-150 and Tundra ride much better
By nomotoy

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My chiropractor suggests a different car. At 8K miles the rattles are popping up all over. Empty car seat, controls, my flesh and my clothes shake and vibrate (sometimes violently) if the road isn't perfectly smooth. The "fuel mgmt system" allows one to drive less than 350 mi before refueling even tho there is still >100 miles fuel on board. e.g. all four displays reporting the need for fuel must be ignored and I have to go by the odometer. Dealer & Toyota say that can't be changed. "Dist to empty" = 0 really means >100 miles to empty. Brake Assist feature is truly dangerous in heavy traffic. I happen to be strong enough to press my own brakes but Toyota knows better than I!

Favorite Features

Cruise feature is perfect

Suggested Improvements

Fix the suspension please! Calibrate the instrumentation somewhere close so as to make it useful. My spouse & I get nervous when we have to come to a complete stop (esp on the freeway) for her to set or reset navigation. It makes it relatively useless. Remove the loud road noise in the cabin. Remove the Brake Assist feature or at least cogle it. Reduce price by $10K. Come up to my 2007 Azera standards.

Good car if you have low expectations
By redfishfl

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have been a happy Toyota customer all my adult life (now 55 and had only one non-toyota). I am very frustrated with this car. I suppose if one has low expectations, then this is the car for you..I feel like a sucker for purchasing it.. I feel like I have a 'super Corolla',... not at all the car I wanted to give my wife. We purchased this car for long rides, and I only see this being acceptable for around town. Toyota has taught me a lesson I will not forget. It seems to me that Toyota has left the upscale market, and is leaving that for Lexus' territory. Seriously, I'm not being too harsh. Check it out for yourself.

Favorite Features

Body style, transmission, power, braking, mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Fix harsh, distracting ride, add insulation, radio needs more power, better wind reduction. Also, tried to add upgrades to car ( for example), an autodimming rear view mirror. Dealer doesn't even have a part number for it..what has happened to the Toyota logistics? Lastly, the back of the passenger seat came loose..dealer will fix.

What was Toyota thinking with the the Suspension on 2013 Avalon?
By yardmen

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am a previous Avalon owner of two Avalon's. They were good cars. Now I own a 2013 Avalon. The ride is very harsh with bumps being transmitted into the cabin as noticeable knocks. Road noise is terrible on worn asphalts and concrete roads. The head lights cut off to soon on low beam. The seats are very hard making a long trip unpleasant. I now wish that I had not purchased this car.

Favorite Features

I like the plush interior of the car. I think the overall design of the car is nice looking. Gas mileage is better than my previous Avalon's.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the harsh ride. Install more insulation to quiet the road noise. Upgrade the radio. Extend head lights cutoff when on low beam.

Premium Car Price Without Premium Ride, Quietness or Seat Comfort
By gemigniani1

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

2013 Avalon does not not feel like a $35,000 premium sedan. The ride is busy because even small road imperfections are felt and heard. There's no sound insulation under the carpets or in the doors so the road noise level is high like being in a Corolla. The front seat bottoms are small in size and thinly padded. So my seat bottom gets sore after only 20 miles of highway driving. The only "premium" car qualities that the 2013 Avalon has are rock solid directional stability on the highway, a smooth, quiet and responsive engine and transmission, and a fairly luxurious looking and feeling interior.

Favorite Features

Refined engine and transmission performance. Great fuel economy for a V6. Great directional stability on the highway. Appealing styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the thinly padded and small sized seat bottoms that induce driver fatigue after only 20 miles of highway driving. Fix the bumpy, economy car like ride. Fix the economy car like amount of road noise.

Beware of buying the 2013 Avalon Limited
By bill440

2013 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this car for less than a week and have 2 problems with it, the back of the driver side seat panel broke and the headliner is falling down. The sad part of this story is that Toyota knows about these problems and kept letting dealers sell this defective car. This is not an isolated incident, check Toyota Nation to read other owners with this same issue. Toyota is finally issuing a bulletin to the dealer on these problems. The dealer will fix it under warranty but I don't feel the same, I expect a new car to be trouble free not have to be rebuilt.

Favorite Features

Price and Technology

Suggested Improvements

Quality Control