2013 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
So far good except
By bigpaulie on 08/22/14 12:05 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So I have 42k on the car. It has been reliable and low maintenance. The backs of both seats have fallen off. I went to Toyota and they said it is a common defect but since I drive a lot they want $800 to fix. It is clearly a poor design but Toyota doesn't respond. I bought the 120k bumper to bumper but was told after it isn't bumper to bumper and that they "have good sales people". My car is embarrassing to sit in.

Disappointing Comfort
By larbaker on 08/05/14 12:07 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Although this is a great car, it comes up short on one item I think most Avalon Limited buyers want and that is COMFORT. I know they are trying to reach the younger set and apparently have done so from sales figures, I believe they went too far on ride/comfort. We purchased our Avalon Feb 2013 and just had it in for 15,000 mile service. We take a 400 mile trip about once a month. On the first trip in Feb 13 I noticed at the 100 mile mark that I couldn't get comfortable in the seats - felt hard. I didn't say anything, but the next month my wife(its her car) said these seats aren't comfortable. She said the other day I want a new car - one that has comfortable seats and softer tires.

Solid power-train, terrible interior quality
By athacarguy on 04/20/14 20:52 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Toyotas will run forever and hybrid design is solid. The car is quiet and the seats are great. The interior build quality is terrible however. My headliner warped in the first 4K miles, the dash creaks and pops when you hit a dump and the door panels also creak constantly. A happy customer tells four people about their experience and unhappy customer tells 10 people. The crappy part is I have to sell it at a loss to buy the ford fusion. My gut told me to go with the ford and I should have followed it.

Great Car
By arillo on 04/01/14 16:00 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just leased this car this past weekend. Looked at Impala, Taurus, 300, ES350 and Toyota Avalon. Decided to get the Avalon after driving the cars. The car handles great. Did not feel like past reviews that car was too stiff or noisy on highway. I will update this if it changes.

Won over
By sullivan3 on 11/25/13 06:55 AM (PST)

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the Avalon Touring XLE model in March 2013. Initially, I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the ride. I thought there was too much road feel. This October, I drove it to Ohio and Indiana from Florida. It performed amazingly and I am now smitten with this machine. I really enjoy driving it and on a smooth road, it is terrific. I am averaging nearly 30 mpg . My driving is all at 60mph where I live . No regrets on this purchase.

F-150 and Tundra ride much better
By nomotoy on 11/03/13 20:37 PM (PST)

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My chiropractor suggests a different car. At 8K miles the rattles are popping up all over. Empty car seat, controls, my flesh and my clothes shake and vibrate (sometimes violently) if the road isn't perfectly smooth. The "fuel mgmt system" allows one to drive less than 350 mi before refueling even tho there is still >100 miles fuel on board. e.g. all four displays reporting the need for fuel must be ignored and I have to go by the odometer. Dealer & Toyota say that can't be changed. "Dist to empty" = 0 really means >100 miles to empty. Brake Assist feature is truly dangerous in heavy traffic. I happen to be strong enough to press my own brakes but Toyota knows better than I!

Good car if you have low expectations
By redfishfl on 10/15/13 18:45 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have been a happy Toyota customer all my adult life (now 55 and had only one non-toyota). I am very frustrated with this car. I suppose if one has low expectations, then this is the car for you..I feel like a sucker for purchasing it.. I feel like I have a 'super Corolla',... not at all the car I wanted to give my wife. We purchased this car for long rides, and I only see this being acceptable for around town. Toyota has taught me a lesson I will not forget. It seems to me that Toyota has left the upscale market, and is leaving that for Lexus' territory. Seriously, I'm not being too harsh. Check it out for yourself.

What was Toyota thinking with the the Suspension on 2013 Avalon?
By yardmen on 10/04/13 05:49 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am a previous Avalon owner of two Avalon's. They were good cars. Now I own a 2013 Avalon. The ride is very harsh with bumps being transmitted into the cabin as noticeable knocks. Road noise is terrible on worn asphalts and concrete roads. The head lights cut off to soon on low beam. The seats are very hard making a long trip unpleasant. I now wish that I had not purchased this car.

Premium Car Price Without Premium Ride, Quietness or Seat Comfort
By gemigniani1 on 09/24/13 16:45 PM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

2013 Avalon does not not feel like a $35,000 premium sedan. The ride is busy because even small road imperfections are felt and heard. There's no sound insulation under the carpets or in the doors so the road noise level is high like being in a Corolla. The front seat bottoms are small in size and thinly padded. So my seat bottom gets sore after only 20 miles of highway driving. The only "premium" car qualities that the 2013 Avalon has are rock solid directional stability on the highway, a smooth, quiet and responsive engine and transmission, and a fairly luxurious looking and feeling interior.

Beware of buying the 2013 Avalon Limited
By bill440 on 09/07/13 02:49 AM (PDT)

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this car for less than a week and have 2 problems with it, the back of the driver side seat panel broke and the headliner is falling down. The sad part of this story is that Toyota knows about these problems and kept letting dealers sell this defective car. This is not an isolated incident, check Toyota Nation to read other owners with this same issue. Toyota is finally issuing a bulletin to the dealer on these problems. The dealer will fix it under warranty but I don't feel the same, I expect a new car to be trouble free not have to be rebuilt.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Toyota Avalon in VA is:

$129 per month*