Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Whine in the transmission
By ktw1958

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Since buying this car with 13K miles on it I have noticed a whine coming from the transmission. I am wondering if any other '13 Avalon owners have experienced the same? Kind of concerning since it's a relatively new car and sounds like an old one! We love the car in every aspect except that one!

Suggested Improvements

Our old '03 Avalon was a better ride but I can live with the one we got. The front passenger seat does not raise up and my wife who is only 4'10" feels like a little kid in it.

So far good except
By bigpaulie

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So I have 42k on the car. It has been reliable and low maintenance. The backs of both seats have fallen off. I went to Toyota and they said it is a common defect but since I drive a lot they want $800 to fix. It is clearly a poor design but Toyota doesn't respond. I bought the 120k bumper to bumper but was told after it isn't bumper to bumper and that they "have good sales people". My car is embarrassing to sit in.

Favorite Features

Interior when it was new and high mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the seats

Disappointing Comfort
By larbaker

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Although this is a great car, it comes up short on one item I think most Avalon Limited buyers want and that is COMFORT. I know they are trying to reach the younger set and apparently have done so from sales figures, I believe they went too far on ride/comfort. We purchased our Avalon Feb 2013 and just had it in for 15,000 mile service. We take a 400 mile trip about once a month. On the first trip in Feb 13 I noticed at the 100 mile mark that I couldn't get comfortable in the seats - felt hard. I didn't say anything, but the next month my wife(its her car) said these seats aren't comfortable. She said the other day I want a new car - one that has comfortable seats and softer tires.

Favorite Features

Styling inside and out. Gas mileage great, better than expected. Excellent electronics. Of course great reliability.

Suggested Improvements

XM radio should display station name not channel #- our 2010 Venza and 2008 Cad SRX did. with 6 pages of presets - 36 stations- even smart Avalon owners would be pressed to remember what number belongs to what station.This car should have remote start thru production as do most GM, Ford and Chrysler cars except their basic models. Toyotas really behind on this. Even my neighbors Dodge pickup was remote starting this winter, and my daughters Chevy Equinox. Loose the paddle shifters(90%of Avalon owners will never use them) and include remote start. The ride/seats. Motor Trend and Consumer reports both agree with us that seats are not comfortable and ride harsh. Will sell this car in fall.

Solid power-train, terrible interior quality
By athacarguy

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Toyotas will run forever and hybrid design is solid. The car is quiet and the seats are great. The interior build quality is terrible however. My headliner warped in the first 4K miles, the dash creaks and pops when you hit a dump and the door panels also creak constantly. A happy customer tells four people about their experience and unhappy customer tells 10 people. The crappy part is I have to sell it at a loss to buy the ford fusion. My gut told me to go with the ford and I should have followed it.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality sucks, hire some better engineers and quality control people.

Great Car
By arillo

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just leased this car this past weekend. Looked at Impala, Taurus, 300, ES350 and Toyota Avalon. Decided to get the Avalon after driving the cars. The car handles great. Did not feel like past reviews that car was too stiff or noisy on highway. I will update this if it changes.

Favorite Features

Different modes of driving. Eco mode is great on highway and gas mileage is great. If you have a blue tooth phone can get APPS on screen. Car handles great in any of the modes. Blind Spot monitor works great.

Suggested Improvements

I hope Toyota can find a way if the car is running and you walk away from car with key(pod) in pocket it beeps or cars shits off.