Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Most Helpful|
So far good except
By bigpaulie

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So I have 42k on the car. It has been reliable and low maintenance. The backs of both seats have fallen off. I went to Toyota and they said it is a common defect but since I drive a lot they want $800 to fix. It is clearly a poor design but Toyota doesn't respond. I bought the 120k bumper to bumper but was told after it isn't bumper to bumper and that they "have good sales people". My car is embarrassing to sit in.

Favorite Features

Interior when it was new and high mileage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the seats

Disappointing Comfort
By larbaker

2013 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Although this is a great car, it comes up short on one item I think most Avalon Limited buyers want and that is COMFORT. I know they are trying to reach the younger set and apparently have done so from sales figures, I believe they went too far on ride/comfort. We purchased our Avalon Feb 2013 and just had it in for 15,000 mile service. We take a 400 mile trip about once a month. On the first trip in Feb 13 I noticed at the 100 mile mark that I couldn't get comfortable in the seats - felt hard. I didn't say anything, but the next month my wife(its her car) said these seats aren't comfortable. She said the other day I want a new car - one that has comfortable seats and softer tires.

Favorite Features

Styling inside and out. Gas mileage great, better than expected. Excellent electronics. Of course great reliability.

Suggested Improvements

XM radio should display station name not channel #- our 2010 Venza and 2008 Cad SRX did. with 6 pages of presets - 36 stations- even smart Avalon owners would be pressed to remember what number belongs to what station.This car should have remote start thru production as do most GM, Ford and Chrysler cars except their basic models. Toyotas really behind on this. Even my neighbors Dodge pickup was remote starting this winter, and my daughters Chevy Equinox. Loose the paddle shifters(90%of Avalon owners will never use them) and include remote start. The ride/seats. Motor Trend and Consumer reports both agree with us that seats are not comfortable and ride harsh. Will sell this car in fall.

Solid power-train, terrible interior quality
By athacarguy

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Toyotas will run forever and hybrid design is solid. The car is quiet and the seats are great. The interior build quality is terrible however. My headliner warped in the first 4K miles, the dash creaks and pops when you hit a dump and the door panels also creak constantly. A happy customer tells four people about their experience and unhappy customer tells 10 people. The crappy part is I have to sell it at a loss to buy the ford fusion. My gut told me to go with the ford and I should have followed it.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality sucks, hire some better engineers and quality control people.

Downsized - I hate that!
By dustync

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Really got sucked in by the new and beautiful exterior of the 2013 Avalon. Only to find it so very uncomfortable compared to my 2011. Did not sink in until after the purchase that this car is 2" shorter than it's predecessor, with most of that coming off the rear passenger leg room, which is Critical TOYOTA! I often have my office associates with me, and they are big guys! Now they are cramped! Why would you make the flagship car.... SMALLER? If I wanted small, I would buy the Camry. And the front seat is narrower, and less comfortable. Front seat comfort of the Avalon has always been an issue; now it's much worse! (for the distance driver).

Favorite Features

Exterior Design is Gorgeous!

Suggested Improvements

Make the car Big again, and give us Comfortable Seats for Pete's Sake!

Very pleased from a car guy
64 of 70,953 people found this review helpful
By jtallequipment

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have 1000 miles on my 2013 Avalon. I am very impressed with the car. I am a bit of a car nut. I own 5 cars, a 1970 Trans Am, a 1976 Bronco, both consistent show winners, a Corvette convertible, and a Z71 Tahoe. I purchased the Avalon on November 30. I traded in a 2009 Cadillac CTS that was loaded with every option, 3.6 DI engine and all wheel drive. I do not regret my decision at all. This car is fantastic. In comparison to the CTS the car is quiter, smoother, handles better and I think its faster. It is much roomier and the fit and finish are first rate. I first test drove the 2013 ES and I find that the Avalon is less soft, more of a drivers car and the quality seemed the same.

Favorite Features

Ebin, Entune, Blind Spot Monitor, roominess, interior quality of materials and ergonomics. This car feels like it was really well put together. It is as near to perfect (Fit and Finish) as any car I have ever purchased. I do not like the look as much as I liked the Cadillac but I like the whole car much more.

Suggested Improvements

Better Brochure and Owners Manual