2011 Toyota Avalon Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2011 Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sort Reviews by

4th Avalon
By AutoDrone

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Between my family and I we have owned every model of Avalon Toyota has ever made. They've never been particularly striking cars, but they've been great bang-for-the-buck and the rear legroom is unbeatable. The 2011 exterior changes that, it looks 1000 times better. Unfortunately the interior seems to have been downgraded. The "faux-wood" has less shine and looks like a rental car and the fake brushed metal (plastic) center console is ugly and overhangs the rest of the dash by a good inch. The quality of the stitching in the rear seats seems lower as well. I really wanted to like this car based on the tech/look upgrades, but the interior changes are low rent. New version in 2 years.

Favorite Features

navigation, bluetooth, mirror signals, new body design, HUGE backseat (reclining) and rear sunshade

Suggested Improvements

Fix the faux-wood. If you can't make it look real than don't make it look like wood. The center console plastic is poorly molded. Navigation doesn't work when not in park (deal killer). Rear seat stitching is taxi quality.

Company Car
By Businessman

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I recently picked up a 2011 Avalon as my new company car. Before getting company cars I have owned both the Lexus ES and GS models. While the Avalon is not a Lexus, its total package could be classified between the ES and GS. Ride and handling soft, but everything is a trade off.

Favorite Features

Interior Ergonomics are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Big body car is excellent in appearance but still dated. Non-Nav center counsel look is excellent but white lighting is dim during sunlight

Most comfortable car
By joseph

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is the most comfortable car I have driven in 48 years of driving. Very roomy interior; feels like a luxury car. I road tested the BMW, Infinity, Lexus, and Acura. Avalon beats them hands down in every respect. Unless you want to pretend you're an Indy driver, this car has the best road feel. I recommend you test drive this car before making a purchase on another similar vehicle.

Favorite Features

Unmatched driving comfort, beautiful interior, very comfortable back seats. Regular gas.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation needs to be more user friendly.

The Best of the pack
By Marv

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I owned the first Avalon made and many in between and the most recent 2008. I was doubtful about the changes in styling for the 2011 that I read about. Well, I bought the Avalon and fell in love with the changes to the interior. It seems more upscale. The dash is beautiful. The exterior styling is an improvement. People ask me when I got my Lexus. I say it's an Avalon, they are surprised. I couldn't be happier. I have no complaints at all. The car drives like a dream. I can't wait to drive it every chance I get. It's so quiet. I love the blue tooth, so easy to get it going. I never thought I would pay for satellite radio, but I got hooked. The memory drivers seat is so wonderful.

Favorite Features

Blue Tooth, and Satellite Radio.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any. For me the car is perfect.

Lexus LS for Half The Price
By Stuart

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my third Avalon, from 2005 to 2008 to the new 2011, all Limiteds. Each one was better than the last and this is the best yet. I got the new zephyr blue color and it is absolutely stunning. This "redesign" is not much different than the old version but it still looks great and current. Smooth, comfortable, and quiet ride, back seat that feels like a limo. Newly upgraded NAV system with back-up camera. All the bells and whistles you want in a luxury vehicle. I cannot understand why anyone would pay double the price for a Lexus LS.

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet and comfortable ride just like the TV commercial!

Suggested Improvements

Steering column has manual telescope.It should be electric and it should tilt too.

2011 Avalon
By Bill

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had a 1999 Avalon for the last 8 years, so I'm already a fan of the brand. Ordered the Avalon from the dealer, requesting Cypress Pearl/Ivory with upgraded stereo and 5 pc mat set only. It ended up taking a little over 2 months from order date, 45 days if you're counting from build date. The car was definitely worth waiting for. The thing that strikes me most is the quietness in the cabin, whether on a city street, county road, or highway. The quality of workmanship is excellent. The exterior is pleasing yet not exactly attention grabbing true, but I don't really need attention, didn't buy the car for that. The interior is more important to me, and I'm very happy with that.

Favorite Features

If you appreciate music at all, treat yourself to the stereo upgrade. You'll thank me for as long as you own the car. The back up camera is something I didn't really see the need for, but now that I have it, I wouldn't want to be without it. The dash, especially at night, is a beautiful sight.

Suggested Improvements

Wish they'd notice the reviews of the OEM Bridgestone Turenzas, and put the OEM Michelins on all Avalons . (Obviously, mine came with the Bridgestone.) There's no reason to put tires rated that poorly on a car like this. Outside of that, there's really nothing I'd want to change about this car.

2011 Cocoa Bean Limited
By John

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just purchased my first Avalon. I've been looking at them for a couple of years. The 2011 has everything I wanted and then some. Smooth and quite ride, with the best sound system on the market. I've owned a Sienna and a Prius and am now trading in a Honda CR-V. Look forward to enjoying many comfortable miles on the highway.

Favorite Features

Navigation system with Bluetooth streaming of phone and music as well as a USB port.

Suggested Improvements

Body Side molding would dress it up a bit and other options for wheels.

Welcome refuge
By WrP1997

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Driving 35K a year in an economy car has the body calling out for more comfort. Compared every luxury/full size car available from BMW to KIA. When you total everything up: MPG/Comfort/Fuel Type/Maintenance/ Price/Features/ Reliability and Design the Avalon is a pretty clear choice. New cabin is clean, clear and concise which instills in you a feeling of unpretentious elegance. The cocoa bean metallic paint is possibly the best color available by any manufacture this year. I have only had mine two weeks but fully expect my Avalon to be a trusted part of our family for the next 10 years.

Favorite Features

interior design and layout, comfort and quietness of the ride. The amount of room each passenger has, the exterior color and the 6 speed auto tap shifter.

Suggested Improvements

I have owned a lot of cars in my life (43 to be exact) and it seems that every manufacture has at least one item they just can't seem to get right. It seem to be an issue across models & time. For Toyota, it is the latching of the console storage compartments. I wish some R&D $$$ would go into fix

Another winner
By RapidRobert

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a '11 Limited after looking at pre-owned '09 & '10. The car just oozes quality. Unbelievable power from a V6 in a large car, especially given the outstanding gas mileage. I get 26- 29 mpg. Nice styling changes to the front & rear ends as well as the dashboard. NAV has been improved & has a backup camera, too. Several optional items are now standard. In reality the price for the Limited has gone down! Before you buy a competitor, drive the Avalon. Dollar for dollar you can not beat it!

Favorite Features

Improved NAV, foldable sideview mirrors with puddle lamps & turn signals, refreshed styling, awesome power, glass smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice to have a sport suspension option with more road-feel in the steering & better bolstered front seats.

So far so great
By Retired & carefree

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Very pleased with the car. It has met or exceeded my expectations. Did a lot of research before buying. This is my 1st full size/luxury car. It's a lot of money but it's a heck of a lot of car! With the problems Toyota's reputation is facing today incredible discounts are out there on even new 2011's. But even their MSRP prices beat the snot out of the competition. Tremendous engine, transmission, ride & comfort. Quick as this car is it gets phenomenal mileage. Once you've driven one, you will want it!

Favorite Features

The engine & transmission are super. Great JBL audio system. NAV system is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Love the car but would like to see a sport package as an available option for the Limited. Sportier suspension, better bolstered front seats & more road feel in the steering would be nice.